Prog rock
Feb 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #331 of 4,453
My turn to submit something completely, utterly different. So far, this is my album of the decade. The recording is unbelievably good. Listening to this on my 400i's, with my Liquid Carbon delivering the juice literally takes me to another world.

Om- State of Non-Return

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/kKqoNrZ00Bg[/VIDEO]

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #332 of 4,453
My turn to submit something completely, utterly different. So far, this is my album of the decade. The recording is unbelievably good. Listening to this on my 400i's, with my Liquid Carbon delivering the juice literally takes me to another world.

Om- State of Non-Return

+1 -Yes! I discovered Om 2 years ago - one of my all time favs. (Advaitic Songs).

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #335 of 4,453
My all time favorite by any band or artist.
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Now you are talking forget the rest! certainly top 2/3 VDGG Other contenders Godbluff obviously! Pawn Hearts and the underrated World Record have all been no 1 for me.

Being in the top 2 Van Der Graaf puts it in the absolute top tier if prog or any other music. In the world of Progressive Rock no other band really comes close IMO.

Astonishing record unsurpassed band. Still going strong producing true progressive Rock.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #336 of 4,453
Now you are talking forget the rest! certainly top 2/3 VDGG Other contenders Godbluff obviously! Pawn Hearts and the underrated World Record have all been no 1 for me.

Being in the top 2 Van Der Graaf puts it in the absolute top tier if prog or any other music. In the world of Progressive Rock no other band really comes close IMO.

Astonishing record unsurpassed band. Still going strong producing true progressive Rock.
Don't get me wrong I love all their recordings, certainly the ones you mentioned but if I only could choose one, than it would be " Still Life", a good place to start as well for the newbies

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #337 of 4,453
Don't get me wrong I love all their recordings, certainly the ones you mentioned but if I only could choose one, than it would be " Still Life", a good place to start as well for the newbies

Agree that would be the starting point for discovering the world of Van Der Graaf Generator.

I think maybe the album 'Over' as an introduction to Peter Hammill's huge solo catalogue? That work is so varied that one album can't really represent it though.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #338 of 4,453
Agree that would be the starting point for discovering the world of Van Der Graaf Generator.

I think maybe the album 'Over' as an introduction to Peter Hammill's huge solo catalogue? That work is so varied that one album can't really represent it though.
There are many as far as PH solo goes, "Fireships", Enter K", "Skin", Sitting Targets" etc.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #339 of 4,453
There are many as far as PH solo goes, "Fireships", Enter K", "Skin", Sitting Targets" etc.

Well one things for certain it's even more difficult to pick a Hammill favourite!

I've got all is albums except a couple of 80's ones. I suppose if I had to pick 5 favourites now it would be
Over, the Silent Corner.., the Future Now, Sitting Targets & A Black Box,

If you asked me tomorrow it would be totally different. Maybe even 2 or 3 his last five studio albums! He is still that good and his work that varied and inventive

A brilliant lyricist and had (not quite what it was) one of the great voices. A genius IMHO.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #342 of 4,453
Holy flipping cow!
My apologies if this has been posted before- I didn't pay attention. But if it hasn't, it's worth paying attention to now. A true work of art, beyond what I would ever expect.

The next person who tells me all the great music was 30 years ago or so, is apt to get clocked by me. this is an astonishing work...

I loved it too, thanks!
Be sure to listen to the 4CD-version, the instrumental CDs are also very good
http://www.discogs.com/Gentle-Storm-The-Diary/release/6767426

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back