Profit vs Community
May 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

The truth is that you should always sell at the FAIR price!

The problem is, there'll always be people willing to pay a premium for certain items. So sellers are going to try to milk them for all they can. I blame the forum (people tend to over hype items to say the least) and the buyers/sellers themselves. (If you constantly fall for hyperbole, then you may not necessarily be all there) It's bad for the informed members who are just trying to get a fair deal.

May 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #47 of 88
i think that it should be sold at what people are willing to pay for them. People always try and lowball, if you want to sell them for $80 is it wrong to post it at $100 knowing people will pm for a lower amount anyways?

I myself would want to sell for what i list it at, but there are always people who do that on the forums.

If i take good care of my stuff and buy something significantly lower i wouldn't mind selling it for a higher price as long as i'm not screwing someone over.

bottom line i think that as long as it's fair it would be okay to sell at market price. Especially if selling on a forum where we are all trying to help everyone out and give honest opinions

May 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 88
The HP-2/L3000 price level is an absolute joke...I have owned both, they are NO way worth 2/2.5k! I agree that the bubble will eventually pop...It took its time with house prices in the US!!

May 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #49 of 88
I personally think that trying to keep around market price is good, but then I try to keep my stuff a little less than the market price, its so that the economy can run smoother when "everythings cheaper". If I buy stuff at close to original price, I try to sell it accordingly.

If I have gotten an item at a deep discount, chances are, I will only sell it back at cost + 2 way shipping or maybe a slight markup, its basically just to cover the funds that I paid for when I got them.

May 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #50 of 88
This is a great community and buying/flipping items should not only be frowned on, it should be reported to the mods assuming they will take appropriate action. Speaking of which, what actions do the moderators take for such behavior?

That being said, the for sale forum is a beast unto itself. Today's value is not tomorrow's value. Plus with people pulling asking prices from their listings it can be difficult to determine the fair market value...they certainly are not helping the community. But on the whole it works okay.

Negotiations are just that. I've offered the asking price without question, offered less and walked from many deals that I felt were priced too high or I was uncomfortable with. Often there is some give and take. Depends on the item and the price being asked. But those are simply negotiations.

I think in most cases we're fortunate to sell an item for the price purchased. The more likely scenario is selling at some sort of a loss. But I currently have an item I'm considering selling that may be worth more today than it was when I purchased it. The fair price today seems to be higher. If so, that is probably the price I would offer it at. If successful, this would be a rare reversal of fortune, but not flipping. I personally don't have a problem when someone else is fortunate enough to be in that position.

May 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #51 of 88
I'm really a shallow individual. I'm here for the fun. You're here for the fun. We're all here for the fun.

I'd sell them for what I paid.

Maybe less.

May 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #52 of 88
This thread is a great example:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/withdrawn-305457/

I sold this guy a DAP for $90, and he tried to resell it for $130 about a week later.

I always sell for what I paid, or less. If I buy headphone X for $205, I sell it for $200 or less if it is in the same condition.

I would of course make an exception for headphones or other gear that is rare, and thus has a very high fluctuation on actual market value due to scarcity.

May 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #54 of 88
i'd sell it close to market value, but a bit lower than everyone else's list price

eg. if i bought a Denon D5000 for $230 because of a price mistake with the D2000
... i'd sell the D5000 for ~$350... you get a bit of a profit, and you are still giving someone a good deal on the headphones!

May 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #55 of 88
Maybe I'm just a chump, but I have always resold at what I bought at or less, even if I could get more. If I found it for really cheap through a different venue, I might sell it here for regular price, but I consider that most of the time the headphones stay in this community in some way.

May 29, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #56 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HP-2/L3000 price level is an absolute joke...I have owned both, they are NO way worth 2/2.5k! I agree that the bubble will eventually pop...It took its time with house prices in the US!!

well wasn't L3000 around 2400$ when it was released? There are few people selling it constantly to keep market price around 2500$, but it hasn't been ridiculus like HP-2...

May 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is not the same thing. Rare headphones (limited in production) can not truly be compared to an unrelated industry of housing and varying economies to scale. I am not saying the prices of the HP series and phones like the R10 or L3K should be had on the super cheap, but given the price of these phones VS current value is subject more to the prospective buyer at the time of acquisition. Having owned all of these phones several times, (the HP like 6 times, and the R10/ L3K several times), there is no other phone which provides what these respective phones can in their traits. Limited edition phones shall always appreciate in value for collectors sake to a certain audience. It is in the context of this forum and trading which is the focal emphasis for this thread and idea of trading, and/or flipping, selling above/under MV..etc

I say sell at what you paid or slightly less, if you have money invested in repair service, etc..perhaps can be factored. Pass on the deal and savings to another, as it typically comes back somehow anywho.

May 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #58 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well wasn't L3000 around 2400$ when it was released? There are few people selling it constantly to keep market price around 2500$, but it hasn't been ridiculus like HP-2...

I think some were selling for $1300 or so.

Another solution to all this is just not to sell.
biggrin.gif

If I were to sell something at the cheaper price that I got it, oddly I do research to make sure the item will go to a good home.

May 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #59 of 88
If I get an especially good deal outside of HF, I usually sell it for (Price paid + (Market Value - Price paid)/2). A bit of karma, and a bit of cash. Great deal on HF? I'll sell for the same that I've paid or slightly less.

Keep in mind though that the prices asked here on Head-Fi are often way above 'real' market value.....

May 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #60 of 88
when i buy anything that i later want to sell, i look to get what i paid or close to it. if i got a good deal on the item, i would probably sell it for just under market value to get a quick sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back