Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #196 of 381
Hey Lior777, try my EQ set on it. I think you will be impressed with the improvements. This EQ makes the Amiron sound extremely balanced.

Pre-Amplfying: - 2

63Hz: + 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1
1.6kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 1
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
8kHz: - 0.5

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #197 of 381
Clearly headphone preference is a very personal thing. I had the Amiron for two weeks. The sound changed a great deal during that time but even after burn-in, the lower midrange remained too warm for my liking. The DT 1990 Pro is perfect for me, but only with the Analytical pads.
agreed, i tried the "B" (Balanced) pads and it didnt sound as good to me compaired to the A pads that come pre-installed.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #199 of 381
I think you have it reversed? I thought the balanced "B" pads come pre-installed.
Not for me, when i checked it out of the box i had the Analytical pads installed, and the B pads were placed in the center. hmmm maybe they changed the formation for shipment? :p

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #201 of 381
Just received my DT 1990 from Rakuten/buydig using the SAVE15 coupon site wide Tue ... couldn't resist as I've heard so many positive comments about the 1990. Mine had the balanced dark grey B pad installed right out of the box. I plugged them into my A20 alongside the T1's. They do have a good bit more clamp than the T1's and provide a bit more punchy bass response. Very impressive form fit and finish. Total enjoyment playing some Hi-Res files.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #202 of 381
Just received my DT 1990 from Rakuten/buydig using the SAVE15 coupon site wide Tue ... couldn't resist as I've heard so many positive comments about the 1990. Mine had the balanced dark grey B pad installed right out of the box. I plugged them into my A20 alongside the T1's. They do have a good bit more clamp than the T1's and provide a bit more punchy bass response. Very impressive form fit and finish. Total enjoyment playing some Hi-Res files.
I've had the luck to try the T1's and i prefer my DT1990 Pro's a lot more. crisper sound if that makes any sense.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #203 of 381
Hi guys, I've read the whole first page and I'm still a bit confuse as to what would be best for me. I'll try to place some calls as it is VERY RARE that a local store will have any Beyerdynamic stuff, yet even let you sample them. Most seem to just carry the bigger brands such as "Sennheiser, Bose" as if there was nothing else...

I currently have the (Beyerdynamic T90) and it is by far the best headphone I ever had, way better than the (DT880) or (HD555). I always listen at it through the (Fiio A5) amplifier and then either on my audio player (Fiio X5 II) or when it's on my computer it's through a (NAD M51). I honnestly have no clue why the T1 is that expensive as it doesn't seems to be any better... just different as of the sound signature but different shouldn't mean pricier when the material and drivers are the same. I was therefore looking into the DT1990Pro or Amiron though I realllly prefer the look, having 1 cable and the accessories of the 1990.

While I do game less than I used to, I am quite competitive and have a very expensive computer and highly appreciate therefore a wider soundstage, however my musical style is pretty diverse and I mostly listen to metal so I'm kind of split between the two as I read somewhere the T90 I have is closer to the Amira, so what should I choose?

Last question would be to know if it would still be considered as an upgrade or if it really be like changing 4x25¢ for 1$ if you see what I mean as I wouldn't go through all the trouble of selling my pair to cheap people online then spend a few hundred just to have a 10-15% improvement. Thanks for ur input!

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #204 of 381
Hi guys, I've read the whole first page and I'm still a bit confuse as to what would be best for me. I'll try to place some calls as it is VERY RARE that a local store will have any Beyerdynamic stuff, yet even let you sample them. Most seem to just carry the bigger brands such as "Sennheiser, Bose" as if there was nothing else...

Have you tried shops that sell professional audio gear and instruments? That's the only source we have locally that carries Beyerdynamic. None of the home audio stores do.

Sorry I can't help with your decision. I've never heard a T90.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #205 of 381
Have you tried shops that sell professional audio gear and instruments? That's the only source we have locally that carries Beyerdynamic. None of the home audio stores do.
I tried one that came out on Google when I typed (Beyerdynamic Montreal) and unsurprisingly they only had like 2 models, of which their "best" was the cheap DT770 like seriously?! I so hate how even these audio instrument stores either carry very few headphone or if they do, they just have garbage and mainstream stuff with all the good ones being only on special orders with non-refundable deposit. The guy over the phone said I could demo the headphone for 30 days but when I called the same store but another branch of that same company, the guy said about the non-refundable depot so What that is then very contradictory. Guess I can only return the stuff they already have in-stock but they got nothing in stock ***!

Any of you knows about the headphone return policies at Amazon.ca? I haven't seen any disclosure saying there was anything related to headphone or that would get it declined. They also have 1 DT1990 Pro used for 700$ instead of 780$ so I guess you can indeed return stuff within 30 days there, but is it without any fee... that's another question!

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #206 of 381
Any of you knows about the headphone return policies at Amazon.ca? I haven't seen any disclosure saying there was anything related to headphone or that would get it declined. They also have 1 DT1990 Pro used for 700$ instead of 780$ so I guess you can indeed return stuff within 30 days there, but is it without any fee... that's another question!
I bought and returned an Amiron from Amazon Canada before I bought the DT 1990. I requested return authorization and they provided an address label with free shipping. Painless and simple.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #207 of 381
amazon canada is fantastic, i've bought most of my gear from them.
I once ordered my pair of B&O H6 gen 2 from them, it showed up and it was clearly a used pair in a broken box and the pads were ripped and damaged. i contacted them right away and they double checked on the system. it seemed that a "used" pair was sent to me instead of new despite me ordering new and it said on my e-mail recipt new.
they were so apologetic and sincere that they sent me a new pair right away (which i got 2 days later) and told me to put the used pair in the box that the new pair came in and send it back with the label that made return free.

they also gave me 35% off next amazon purchase for "troubles ive might incurred while dealing with this predicament." which i then used to buy a bluetooth speaker for my room.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #208 of 381
Hi guys,

I've finally received my DT1990 Pro saturday by Amazon, much faster than I expected and they did confirm me I had a 30 days satisfaction guaranteed. I haven't tested them for 8H yet but so far here's what I can say compare to my T90 which has been replaced by the not so good looking Amiron.

- The DT1990 Pro has much more clamping, as the T90 is way slacker and I don't think that it's because I've had it for several years. They said the Amiron was more "relaxed" and for home usage so that make sense. The higher clamping force doesn't cause a discomfort so far and if you like to dance, jog, do cardio stuff inside or trash while listening to metal, you'll definitely prefer the DT1990 has they stay much better in place!

- They do seem to have an improved bass extension as said by a few people, however is it caused by the higher clamping force cause usually the tigher it is, the more you feel the bass.

- They look incredible, best looking headphone I ever seen, weight is very similar but prolly a bit heavier as there's more use of metal. The finition and sturdiness is of higher quality imo.

Overall it's a worthy replacement of a T90 for someone that doesn't already have those has the difference isn't that large since they both have the same MSRP when they came out, so now it's almost like changing 4x25¢ for 1$ so I'm gonna try this week to find a place in Montreal "Quebec" to see if I can demo a pair of (Audeze LCD3) as very few places seems to have this brand, and if they do it's only up to the LCD2, and nobody got the 4000$USD LCD4. I'm willing to say it doesn't get any better than the DT1990 for 700-800$CAD but I want to see if those 2600$ LCD3 really sounds far better to be sold for 3x more or if that "Planar Magnetic" is just an excuse to raise the cost.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #209 of 381
- They do seem to have an improved bass extension as said by a few people, however is it caused by the higher clamping force cause usually the tighter it is, the more you feel the bass.
I tried pressing on the ear pads and pulling on them slightly to reduce clamp. Neither made a significant difference in the bass. Changing pads makes a big difference. I only like the sound with Analytical pads, which IMO gives more accurate bass and smoother treble.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #210 of 381
I tried pressing on the ear pads and pulling on them slightly to reduce clamp. Neither made a significant difference in the bass. Changing pads makes a big difference. I only like the sound with Analytical pads, which IMO gives more accurate bass and smoother treble.
So you mean that the way it clamps is like it is, and you cannot "stretch" it so lessen the effect and it won't get slacker over time, it's always gonna clamp that much? I'd just like to know even if I can still wear them several hours, just that I wouldn't qualify them as confortable "set and forget" as the T90/Amiron.

How can you identify which pad you have cause I bought a "open box" from Amazon so who knows what came on them by default, and behind the pad that's in the box there isn't any writing and looking from the surface I can't see a damn difference to the point I was almost thinking this whole "pad change the sound significantly" was gimmick or placebo. To remove the pads you just pull hard on them, there's no risk of tearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back