Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #61 of 381
Thank
Soundstage is something not always perceived the same by people. I've always found the HD 650s soundstage larger than the HD 600's for example, and people vary on that as you may see contradictory opinions on it. But I'll explain one common way to create the illusion of a wider soundstage is a bit of an upper midrange recession, this is a trick the HD 800 pulls to even further expand the soundstage size. A forward midrange tends to make a headphone sound more intimate and less spacious. As to why the Amiron has a softer treble, after spending more time with them longer, it's because there is just no ringing in its treble whereas the DT 1990 has a small amount ringing in its treble that and the Amiron doesnt really have a spike in the treble but rather a peak which I don't find as extreme, it takes the treble mountain the T90 has and tames it. The Amiron is more v-shaped in its sound while the DT 1990 is more neutral(with a bit of brightness and more warmth than most Tesla Beyers). The Amiron is a lot warmer sounding than the old DT 990 which is a bit cold, while both may be v-shaped, it's a different curve and creates a very different presentation not to meniton how different Teslas inherently sound than the DT Beyers.
Thanks for your explanation and sorry for the delay to answer (poor internet connection at home so only connect "on the go"whenever I find better connection :i will share with you(know it will ring a bell to most readers even though it looks out of scope) a most recent experience with 2 HP amps, one is my cherished Lehmann Audio black cube Pro(xlr inputs) which has a very neutral sound signature (but on the warm side) and a Beyer A20,bought from amazon and returned, which has a very mids centered sound sig.I have tried them with very different HPs because I wanted to be sure I was not misled by the sound sigs of the HPs themselves. Now I know what you mean by intimate sound stage and upfront mids, because it is EXACTLY how I would describe the Beyer amp:very detail retrieval but at the time UNFORGIVING of poor recordings,but shrills inducing in the best case scenario whereas the Lehmann has a wider soundstage, more separation power(pouvoir séparateur as we say in France) (just another way of saying "imaging" )and a warmer, more cohesive overall sound signature. To say it shortly :the Beyer will be more satisfying with only a few recordings or mid centered style of music("piano" or vocals based, some classical-not Opera- and jazz music) whereas the Lehmann will be so to all the rest kinds of music. If I got you well the Lehmann is a clone (HPamp speaking) of the Amiron and the Beyer a clone of the DT1990,am I unright?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #62 of 381
Thank
Soundstage is something not always perceived the same by people. I've always found the HD 650s soundstage larger than the HD 600's for example, and people vary on that as you may see contradictory opinions on it. But I'll explain one common way to create the illusion of a wider soundstage is a bit of an upper midrange recession, this is a trick the HD 800 pulls to even further expand the soundstage size. A forward midrange tends to make a headphone sound more intimate and less spacious. As to why the Amiron has a softer treble, after spending more time with them longer, it's because there is just no ringing in its treble whereas the DT 1990 has a small amount ringing in its treble that and the Amiron doesnt really have a spike in the treble but rather a peak which I don't find as extreme, it takes the treble mountain the T90 has and tames it. The Amiron is more v-shaped in its sound while the DT 1990 is more neutral(with a bit of brightness and more warmth than most Tesla Beyers). The Amiron is a lot warmer sounding than the old DT 990 which is a bit cold, while both may be v-shaped, it's a different curve and creates a very different presentation not to meniton how different Teslas inherently sound than the DT Beyers.
Thanks for your explanation and sorry for the delay to answer (poor internet connection at home so only connect "on the go"whenever I find better connection).I will share with you(know it will ring a bell to most readers even though it looks out of scope) a most recent experience with 2 HP amps, one is my cherished Lehmann Audio black cube Pro(xlr inputs) which has a very neutral sound signature (but on the warm side) and a Beyer A20,bought from amazon and returned, which has a very mids centered sound sig.I have tried them with very different HPs because I wanted to be sure I was not misled by the sound sigs of the HPs themselves. Now I know what you mean by intimate sound stage and upfront mids, because it is EXACTLY how I would describe the Beyer amp:very detail retrieval but at the time UNFORGIVING of poor recordings,but shrills inducing in the best case scenario whereas the Lehmann has a wider soundstage, more separation power(pouvoir séparateur as we say in France) (just another way of saying "imaging" )and a warmer, more cohesive overall sound signature. To say it shortly :the Beyer will be more satisfying with only a few recordings or mid centered style of music("piano" or vocals based, some classical-not Opera- and jazz music) whereas the Lehmann will be so to all the rest kinds of music. If I got you well the Lehmann is a clone (HPamp speaking) of the Amiron and the Beyer a clone of the DT1990,am I unright?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #63 of 381
Thank
Thanks for your explanation and sorry for the delay to answer (poor internet connection at home so only connect "on the go"whenever I find better connection).I will share with you(know it will ring a bell to most readers even though it sounds off topic) a most recent experience with 2 HP amps, one is my cherished Lehmann Audio black cube Pro(xlr inputs) which has a very neutral sound signature (but on the warm side) and a Beyer A20,bought from amazon and returned, which has a very mid centered sound sig.I have tried them with very different HPs because I wanted to be sure I was not misled by the sound sigs of the HPs themselves. Now I know what you mean by intimate sound stage and upfront mids, because it is EXACTLY how I would describe the Beyer amp:very detail retrieval but at the time UNFORGIVING of poor recordings,but shrills inducing in the best case scenario whereas the Lehmann has a wider soundstage, more separation power(pouvoir séparateur as we say in France) (just another way of saying "imaging" )and a warmer, more cohesive overall sound signature. To say it shortly :the Beyer will be more satisfying with only a few recordings or mid centered style of music("piano" or vocals based, some classical-not Opera- and jazz music) whereas the Lehmann will be so to all the rest kinds of music. If I got you well the Lehmann is a clone (HPamp speaking) of the Amiron and the Beyer a clone of the DT1990,am I unright?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #64 of 381
I agree with you on all counts for the Amiron. It's my personal favorite all around headphone, by a long shot. And I've tried it with various amps my friends own and for me, I love the synergy it has with the A20 best. I need to get an A2 at some point! Has anybody heard both the amiron and T5p? I've pretty much written off the T1 given the sound signature. I need more bass body.
beyerdynamic)))):
DT1990 PRO (<3!!!)
DT990/600
DT880/600 DT770PRO/80
A20 Amp
What no Amiron any longer ?

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #66 of 381
I agree with you on all counts for the Amiron. It's my personal favorite all around headphone, by a long shot. And I've tried it with various amps my friends own and for me, I love the synergy it has with the A20 best. I need to get an A2 at some point! Has anybody heard both the amiron and T5p? I've pretty much written off the T1 given the sound signature. I need more bass body.

I keep reading "Beyer XYZ sounds best with the A20". How can all Beyerdynamic headphones have great synergy with the A20 when some of their headphones are super bright and the Amirons are warm(ish)? Is it just a neutral, transparent amp fine-tuned not for the "Beyer sound" but for tesla headphones? That would kinda make sense as that's the only mutual attribute between the headphones that are said to sound better on the A20 than you would expect (the A20 is said to be an average sounding amp for non-beyer headphones).

I have to agree. I am sending back the DT 1990's. The Amrion's are not nearly as solid feeling, but very well made in their own right. I just find myself much more drawn to the smooth sound signature and relaxed clamp. I will say the A20 is a great amp, but compared to my IFI Black Label I personnaly don't feel it justifies the investment. I think I am good with the Amiron and IFI Black Label until the next round of innovation occurs. Just a quick insight, the Amirons are smoother and can be listened to at a lower level. The DT 1190s are aggressive and accurate, but no where near as good to just relax and enjoy music. I can easily see why the DT 1990s would be a professionals choice.

So it does sound better, but it is not worth the price if you already have an iFi? I'm asking because I have the Amirons and instead of the iFi I'm thinking about buying the Oppo HA-2SE together with the A20. I find the Oppo to be better while on the go because it's much smaller and I could use the Oppo's line out to connect to the A20 when I'm at home, so as long as the Oppo's DAC is not a bottleneck it's a win-win. Better portability and sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #69 of 381
How about comparing DT1990 to T1V2?

To me T1 was a nice headphone but nit forgiving for rock or edm music like Depeche Mode, too way bright

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #70 of 381
How about comparing DT1990 to T1V2?

To me T1 was a nice headphone but nit forgiving for rock or edm music like Depeche Mode, too way bright

The DT 1990 has a more intimate soundstage and doesn't quite have the laser precise imaging the T1.2 has. In terms of tonal balance, the DT 1990 has a lot more heft down low and warmer sounding midrange and notably darker treble. I couldn't tolerate the T1.2s treble, but the DT 1990 is fine, it's also fairly similar to the T1 in the midrange tonality. The treble is smoother and more gentle on the ears. I would say the DT 1990 is slightly darker than the K712 with a lot more bass body, stronger dynamics, and less upper mid energy if that helps.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #72 of 381
How do these relate to DT990?
I'm using those on my PC for gaming, movies and music and considering possibility of upgrading and leaving DT990 to secondary role.

While more neutral bass/analytical sound would be technically better for distinguishing foot steps and such in games smaller soundstage can negate that advantage.
So maybe DT1990 would be in that more like upgrade of semi-open DT880 with Amiron being upgrade of DT990?

And yeah I'm a diehard beyer fan. I used to be a Sennheiser guy until I got my DT880. It was all over from there. The Sennheisers bored me to death once I had them, save the HD598. Plus the design, comfort, customer service and build quality of beyerdynamic won me over.
Yeah, sadly can't exactly praise Sennheiser's support.
When I sent comment about HD595's having pieces of plastics cracking away at "old age" of 2½ years never got any answer (at least in reasonable time) from their local Nordic countries support or main department/headquarters in Germany.
Beyerdynamic's earcup to headband attaching might not be the most fashionable looking...
But it's mechanically from other planet compared to HD5xx Sennheisers.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #73 of 381
How do these relate to DT990?
I'm using those on my PC for gaming, movies and music and considering possibility of upgrading and leaving DT990 to secondary role.

While more neutral bass/analytical sound would be technically better for distinguishing foot steps and such in games smaller soundstage can negate that advantage.
So maybe DT1990 would be in that more like upgrade of semi-open DT880 with Amiron being upgrade of DT990?

Yeah, sadly can't exactly praise Sennheiser's support.
When I sent comment about HD595's having pieces of plastics cracking away at "old age" of 2½ years never got any answer (at least in reasonable time) from their local Nordic countries support or main department/headquarters in Germany.
Beyerdynamic's earcup to headband attaching might not be the most fashionable looking...
But it's mechanically from other planet compared to HD5xx Sennheisers.

Neither the Amiron nor DT1990 share anything in common with the DT990, sound signature wise. They’re both closer to the DT880 in most aspects, with the Amiron being more laid back, especially in the treble. The 1990 has a similar bass response to my ears as the 990, but has much nicer mids, and prominent yet smooth highs like the DT880.

After having nearly every modern beyerdynamic headphone - my personal favorite is the DT880/600. Even over the other two mentioned here. It’s just magical to my ears and does nothing wrong. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back