Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
May 30, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 381
You weren't kidding. Build quality on the 1990's is perfection. I'm so happy with both of them I could never give either up. I agree the 1990's are rock out to some EDM headphones and the amirons are perfect for relaxing to some Fleetwood Mac. Absolutely awesome job, beyerdynamic and thank you so much for your review. It's what pushed me over the edge to get both, kman!
IMG_3644.JPG

May 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #18 of 381
I need to find a good DAC that would work with iOS devices, especially through the lightning connector. Any ideas?

And yeah I'm a diehard beyer fan. I used to be a Sennheiser guy until I got my DT880. It was all over from there. The Sennheisers bored me to death once I had them, save the HD598. Plus the design, comfort, customer service and build quality of beyerdynamic won me over. Now to get an A2, T1 and T5p. I'll be done after that. From what I'm reading though, neither of those are an improvement on the amiron or 1990, just a sidestep. Kind of reminds me of the HD800 dilemma.

The Chord Mojo is a nice DAC for iOS devices and will connect via a lightning connector.

I am quite a Beyer fan myself, I'm mixed on most Senns, I do think the HD 6xx family is actually quite overrated, I think they are good but not quite as good as some claim them to be. The only Senn I would bother with is the HD 800S personally which I really liked and may be an eventual upgrade path for me, one of the few modern Senns that doesn't bore me.

Glad you are enjoying them so much. Any idea which you like more yet? I personally grew to like the Amiron a bit more over the few months I had both. But I listen to both a lot and liked the DT 1990 more for much of the time.

May 31, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 381
I will check out the mojo thank you! I think I like the amiron better with most genres. It just doesn't do anything wrong. The 1990 is a scalpel... and perfect for EDM. I am finding the 1990 so exciting though. With the amiron, it's a beautiful headphone that I enjoy immensely. But I'm finding myself looking for stuff to get excited about with the 1990. Your description of one being daytime and one being for evenings is absolutely bang on. I can't describe it better. If you have an apple product, listening to the amiron after the 1990 is like putting NightShift on. Lol

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 381
I couldn't live without the other though. I think they should be bought as a pair. They compliment each other so well. I heard someone say they sounded similar. I personally think they're polar opposites but still share the beautiful beyer sound. Just at different sides of the spectrum. One is exciting and detailed - 1990, one is refined and smooth - amiron.

May 31, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 381
Have you tried the other pads on the DT 1990 yet? I find it refines and relaxes the sound a bit, making a bit in-between the Amiron and the DT 1990 with balanced pads. They are quite different, but I can see people finding things fairly similar when the DT 1990 has the analytical pads on.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 381
Just tried out the analytical pads and I actually don't love them with it. They almost make the sound Amiron-like but somehow thin and unpleasant. Something is off and I don't know what it is. The fun bass presence is gone and they sound constrained in the mids. Back to balanced!

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #23 of 381
Just tried out the analytical pads and I actually don't love them with it. They almost make the sound Amiron-like but somehow thin and unpleasant. Something is off and I don't know what it is. The fun bass presence is gone and they sound constrained in the mids. Back to balanced!

Ah, so you too about them, I wonder why so many prefer the analytical.. I feel similar about the pads, something isn't quite right about the analytical to me that I can't put my finger on. The DT 1990 isn't the DT 1990 to me without the balanced pads, I always go back to the balanced pads within a day.

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 381
This may sound ridiculous but I've been into this hobby for well over a decade and have owned ever mid fi flagship that has existed and a few summit fi headphones. I have never enjoyed the sound signature of headphones as much as these two. I'm blown away - I guess the worlds oldest still operating audio company knows what they're doing. What are your thoughts on the T1v2 and T5pv2?

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 381
This may sound ridiculous but I've been into this hobby for well over a decade and have owned ever mid fi flagship that has existed and a few summit fi headphones. I have never enjoyed the sound signature of headphones as much as these two. I'm blown away - I guess the worlds oldest still operating audio company knows what they're doing. What are your thoughts on the T1v2 and T5pv2?

The T5p Gen 1 and 2 are Beyers I feel like something is off about their sound, something about them just didn't sit right with me. The T1 is great but i have issues with it's treble, just too much on either generation, I find the T1 gen one clearer and more vivid sounding. Both have this pleasant ethereal imaging to them, neither have a lot of bass body but they sound off like the DT 1990 with analyticals do to me. My favorite Beyers are the DT 480, but I modded them and they are different sounding to say the least, very love or hate headphone. I actually think Beyers original headphone driver(the aluminum one in the DT 48 and DT 480) are the best thing Beyer has made. If a headphone can scare you and make you flinch with it's dynamic slam(in the bass, mids, and the treble) yet not sound sibilant or fatiguing at all while being insanely transparent all at the same time then something is special about it. I'm listening to my DT 480's currently and it's an all-out assault on my senses without causing an ounce listening fatigue. Beyer has always known what they were are doing

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 381
Well, I am joining the club. I have had the Amiron for while and have really grown to like the sound. I just ordered the DT1990 and the A20 amp. I was pondering the T1, but I finally heard them at a meet and I agree that something is of to me. They had excellent sound stage but bass was thin and the treble was hot (like hot for a Beyer, not normal hot). The guy had a nice tube amp and it still sounded poor to me. Given that I like the Amiron's I decided to try the DT1990's.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #28 of 381
I've compared the DT1990 to the Amiron extensively and I find myself grabbing the Amiron 99 times out of 100. They're just so much more pleasant than the 1990's. I think the 1990's are like a chisel trying to push as much info into me as possible... perfect for studio use... but the Amiron makes it musical and pleasant.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #29 of 381
I have to agree. I am sending back the DT 1990's. The Amrion's are not nearly as solid feeling, but very well made in their own right. I just find myself much more drawn to the smooth sound signature and relaxed clamp. I will say the A20 is a great amp, but compared to my IFI Black Label I personnaly don't feel it justifies the investment. I think I am good with the Amiron and IFI Black Label until the next round of innovation occurs. Just a quick insight, the Amirons are smoother and can be listened to at a lower level. The DT 1190s are aggressive and accurate, but no where near as good to just relax and enjoy music. I can easily see why the DT 1990s would be a professionals choice.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #30 of 381
I have to agree. I am sending back the DT 1990's. The Amrion;s are not nearly as solid feeling, but very well made in their own right. I just find myself much more drawn to the smooth sound signature and relaxed clamp. I will say the A20 is a great amp, but compared to my IFI Black Label I personnaly don't feel it justifies the investment. I think I am good with the Amiron and IFI Black Label until the next round of innovation occurs. Just a quick insight, the Amirons are smoother and can be listened to at a lower level. The DT 1190s are aggressive and accurate, but no where near as good to just relax and enjoy music. I can easily see why the DT 1990s would be a professionals choice.

I agree with you on all counts for the Amiron. It's my personal favorite all around headphone, by a long shot. And I've tried it with various amps my friends own and for me, I love the synergy it has with the A20 best. I need to get an A2 at some point! Has anybody heard both the amiron and T5p? I've pretty much written off the T1 given the sound signature. I need more bass body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back