Problem with headphones. Feedback in right can. Beats by Dre (don't flame me!).
Aug 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GrindedDown

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy everyone. I am having an issued with my Beats by Dre Studio headphones (full sized ones w/battery power supply). So I travel to florida and everything works great. I travel home and try them out at home but I get a wicked feedback on the right can that is very audible. I use a Macbook Pro and when they are plugged in, feedback, but when I touch the computer it goes away. When I plug them into my iPhone, feedback is less audible but still there. When I touch the screen, feedback increases and I also hear an increase in high frequency electrical noise. 

Things to note. The screen on the iPhone is capacitative meaning when points are touched, electricity spikes to the localized point of contact increasing the electrical output. That in conjunction with me touching the aluminum on my computer makes me think that I may have knocked out or caused a faulty ground cable inside the can. 

Anyone with experience fixing headphones, or better yet these ones in particular? What are some possible fixes or solutions? 

Note: Headphones are out of warranty. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 4
You're right, that sounds like a grounding issue. My guess is that something came loose inside and might be touching something or other. Also, IIRC, the Beats are a little more complicated than most headphones. The batteries power an internal amp or something to do with bass boost.

You should probably post in the DIY Forum to see if someone will open them up for a possible repair or cable issue. I'd think someone could help you out, and most likely for a lot less than a factory repair.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
when i borrowed the "beats" from my brother i remember hearing "white noise," meaning the sound that the "noise-cancellation" produces. are you sure it's not that? it's a known issue.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Cowjuan:
Yeah I am very sure it is not the white noise issue. I have had these for almost 2 years now and it just started when I got home. The sound is reminiscent of when you plug a 1/4" guitar cable into an amp but leave it halfway plugged in. 

Unkle Erik:

Thanks I will try posting this in DIY and see what kind of response I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back