Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #676 of 777
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #677 of 777
Yes I was counting on what the designer said, but since pro ject is making those psu (with their stupid confusing naming!) I wanted to know if those are good enough or if I should check other alternatives

Pro-Ject's product names really are confusing, and perhaps more pricey because we're also paying for their wonderfully modern exterior design. Looking at the power products, it seems to me the line powered Power Box is all you'd need. Theoretically further improvement can be achieved through the decoupling of running off battery power with the Accu Box products, and for the S2D you'd only need the one with "USB" in the name, but I have tried other battery power here and could not hear any difference. Again, YMMV: for my S2D I use a $10 linear wall-wart from China, but I live in a newly constructed net-zero energy home with very clean quiet power.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #678 of 777
My full in-depth review for Audiophile-Heaven is live now!~ :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/01/natural-mqa-dac-performer-pro-ject-prebox-s2-digital.html

Pro-Ject-Pre-Box-S2-Digital-DAC-AMP-Headphone-Desktop-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-35.jpg

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #680 of 777
pretty nonsense review imho.... you should at least care to find out that S2 has 2x mobile ES9038Q2M DACs worth some 15$ each, not write: "In terms of value, Pre Box S2 Digital has quite a bit to brag about, as it includes quite an interesting DAC chip, which is known to cost a bit, just for the chip itself."
engineering is very good, but sound quality pretty average due to obvious reasons.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #681 of 777
pretty nonsense review imho.... you should at least care to find out that S2 has 2x mobile ES9038Q2M DACs worth some 15$ each, not write: "In terms of value, Pre Box S2 Digital has quite a bit to brag about, as it includes quite an interesting DAC chip, which is known to cost a bit, just for the chip itself."
engineering is very good, but sound quality pretty average due to obvious reasons.

15 USD for a chip is a very high amount, and also, I didn't want to write off a static value because the value swings a lot depending on the current market

Also, I didn't think the sound quality was average. On the headphne output, it was very underpowered, but using it as a DAC, it is in line or better than most 500 USD DACs, so it doesn't do bad at all (?)

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #682 of 777
15 USD for a chip is a very high amount, and also, I didn't want to write off a static value because the value swings a lot depending on the current market

Idk, $15 is not incredibly much. See for example AKM chips:
  • AKM 4499 $83.70
  • AKM 4497 $50.99
  • AKM 4493 is $8.33
  • AKM 4490 $2.30
So yes, it's more expensive than Ak4493 bit still a LOT less expensive than the 'Pro' range chips.

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #684 of 777
Does anyone know the the spec of the power supply cable for this DAC? I have a linear power supply that provides 5V via either a 5.5/2.1mm barrel connector or via a USB port. I'd like to know what the power input socket on the Pre Box S2 Digital is in terms of type. It looks like some sort of USB connector but I cannot find the exact type.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #685 of 777
Does anyone know the the spec of the power supply cable for this DAC? I have a linear power supply that provides 5V via either a 5.5/2.1mm barrel connector or via a USB port. I'd like to know what the power input socket on the Pre Box S2 Digital is in terms of type. It looks like some sort of USB connector but I cannot find the exact type.
Micro USB

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #686 of 777
hello. I wanted to know if the dropouts problems are still an issue as I'm considering getting this dac when visting Europe in May

Drop-outs are still there, when doing full hw unfold & rendering.
Using it in MQB mode (unfold done by Tidal) helps though.

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #687 of 777
Drop-outs are still there, when doing full hw unfold & rendering.
Using it in MQB mode (unfold done by Tidal) helps though.

Ahoj :)

What's the point of buying an MQA DAC that can't decode MQA?

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #688 of 777

What's the point of buying an MQA DAC that can't decode MQA?

Pro-ject S2 is the best DAC around € 400. Regarding MQA, it can both unfold (1st pass) and render (2nd pass) MQA, or accept software unfolded MQA (by Tidal) and render it only (=MQB). Sound should be exactly the same in both cases.

I'm not sure why, but direct stream seems to be very sensitive to dropouts, while unfolded one is not. Tidal handles unfolding better, my guess is it simply has bigger audio buffer? Unfolded stream it is sending to S2 is probably more "proper", better timing, etc., than direct one. Anyway, as MQB has no problems with dropouts and it does sound exactly the same, I'm happy with S2 :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #689 of 777

Pro-ject S2 is the best DAC around € 400. Regarding MQA, it can both unfold (1st pass) and render (2nd pass) MQA, or accept software unfolded MQA (by Tidal) and render it only (=MQB). Sound should be exactly the same in both cases.

I'm not sure why, but direct stream seems to be very sensitive to dropouts, while unfolded one is not. Tidal handles unfolding better, my guess is it simply has bigger audio buffer? Unfolded stream it is sending to S2 is probably more "proper", better timing, etc., than direct one. Anyway, as MQB has no problems with dropouts and it does sound exactly the same, I'm happy with S2 :wink:

Software unfolding could work without any DAC requirements. I didn't mean to say the S2 isn't good, I never tried it. But I read about a lot of issues in this thread and I decided not to buy it. I think for the money it is probably a good deal. I started to get annoyed with ChiFi so I'm going with European products as much as I can now.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #690 of 777
I don't think MQA drop-outs (maybe 2 - 3 per hour) are "issues" with the device, more with Tidal itself. Mytek Digital Liberty DAC, twice as expenive, is having similar problems. Anyway, using MQB is 100% working solution. And while you don't need DAC support for SW unfolding, for rendering you do, and there are absolutely no issues with it. So, I (still) consider S2 the best DAC with MQA(B) below €1000 you can buy (with HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 ) :wink:

And it's designed and made in Europe :)

RME ADI-2 DAC FS would be my choice for all-in-one solution (good headphone amp as well) for €1000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back