Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #541 of 777
Not that many DACs with MQA support are out there. Mytek Liberty maybe? But I would say it is not better, while being more expensive.

Anyway, I use S2 AMP to drive my CIEMs and external AMP to drive anything more power hungry.

Actually, for less money the IFi Nano iDSD Black Label comes close and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label to many ears, including mine, is slightly superior. They’re both DAC-amps and have the benefit of better headphone outputs than the S2. Sure, they do only the second MQA unfold, but that’s inconsequential to users of Tidal and Roon. And they don’t have all the bells and whistles, such as that handy screen on the S2. But I preferred the sound of both over the S2 with headphones. I returned the S2 because of its poor headphone amp. And for those who don’t care about MQA, there are DAC and DAC-amp options that rival or exceed the S2 in roughly the same price range. Don’t get me wrong, the S2 is a great product if you want to pay for a wasted amp section and connect it to an external amp. But I already have DAC-amp setups and wanted something for headphone only use in the bedroom. For me, it didn’t cut it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #542 of 777
Actually, for less money the IFi Nano iDSD Black Label comes close and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label to many ears, including mine, is slightly superior. They’re both DAC-amps and have the benefit of better headphone outputs than the S2. Sure, they do only the second MQA unfold, but that’s inconsequential to users of Tidal and Roon. And they don’t have all the bells and whistles, such as that handy screen on the S2. But I preferred the sound of both over the S2 with headphones. I returned the S2 because of its poor headphone amp. And for those who don’t care about MQA, there are DAC and DAC-amp options that rival or exceed the S2 in room In roughly the same price range. Don’t get me wrong, the S2 is a great product if you want to pay for a wasted amp section and connect it to an external amp. But I already have DAC-amp setups and wanted something for headphone only use in the bedroom. For me, it didn’t cut it.

Yes, I would agree. The Nano is a definite winner. I love it. Sturdy, and great sounding.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #543 of 777
Actually, for less money the IFi Nano iDSD Black Label comes close and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label to many ears

You're absolutely right about iFi products!
In fact, I do own iFi Nano Black Label, and use it with my notebook & CIEM on the road, to get best sound quality, while being easily transportable.
But IFi Nano amp is not enough for Audeze and/or Audio Technica.
I can say from my own listening that Pro-Ject S2 + Gilmore Lite mk2 combo has plenty of power and does sound better than iFi Nano.

Now, I cannot speak about iFi Micro. I was thinking about getting it, it is pretty much the same price as Pro-Ject S2 + Gilmore Lite mk2, and has very powerfull amp, but never listened to it. Main reason being I love "small" amp in Pro-Ject S2 for my CIEMs, and Gilmore Lite mk2 for my bigger cans. Could not do this with iFi Micro.

Nice to hear it is also very good! :)

Frankly, this also scared me off a bit - iFi is not that good at measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

Pro-Ject S2 review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #544 of 777
Added a photo of the faulty USB power receptacle to my previous post.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #545 of 777
Bummer! The usb power receptacle broke loose from the circuit board and is floating around inside the case. Guess I will see how good the warranty support is. :tired_face:

Here is a pix that shows what appears to be poorly soldered attach points which contributed to the fragility of the receptacle. There was very little solder evident on the 2 gold colored oval pads that are supposed to be attach points for the receptacle housing.

How frustrating to learn such units are still out there. As far as I know this manufacturing problem was resolved a long time ago. But the distributors know about this, so hopefully you won't have any trouble getting a replacement.

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #546 of 777
At least I am glad to know that this is a known issue and that I am not the first to discover it. That should help me get a quick replacement from Music Direct.

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #547 of 777
dac.jpg

My S2 insides :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #548 of 777
Bummer! The usb power receptacle broke loose from the circuit board and is floating around inside the case. Guess I will see how good the warranty support is. :tired_face:

Here is a pix that shows what appears to be poorly soldered attach points which contributed to the fragility of the receptacle. There was very little solder evident on the 2 gold colored oval pads that are supposed to be attach points for the receptacle housing.

Good news for me! I contacted Music Direct via email this morning with the photos and within a couple of hours, Tom Trippodo from their customer service department contacted me and said that they would immediately replace my Pre Box and issue a CallPak for the return of my defective unit. Can't ask for more than that! Needless to say, they will get my return business in the future.
FWIW, he said that this was the first issue they have had thus far with any S2 they have sold.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #549 of 777

If you’re the kind of person who buys gear according to “measurements” on that site you’re going to be missing out on a lot of good products. I buy, and keep, audio gear according to what my ears tell me. I think it’s fair to say that, like the S2, the iFi products I mentioned generally get positive reviews.

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #550 of 777
If you’re the kind of person who buys gear according to “measurements” on that site you’re going to be missing out on a lot of good products. I buy, and keep, audio gear according to what my ears tell me. I think it’s fair to say that, like the S2, the iFi products I mentioned generally get positive reviews.
I think the numbers don't lie though. I loved my black label but many products since, most were far more detailed sounding. The chips iFi uses are really outdated and a significant bottleneck.

of course they'll tell you that's the "analog" sound they're striving for

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #551 of 777
I think the numbers don't lie though. I loved my black label but many products since, most were far more detailed sounding. The chips iFi uses are really outdated and a significant bottleneck.

of course they'll tell you that's the "analog" sound they're striving for

Without getting into the reams of controversy surrounding Audio Science Review that often permeate forums such as these, I certainly wouldn’t be the least bit worried because a piece of equipment I like ranks in the middle of its “SINAD” list. Personally, I have yet to hear a better DAC-amp for the money than the iFi Nano IDSD Black Label. I don’t put much stock in your “really outdated” chip comment, because it’s the sound that counts, not the age of the chip. There is no “bottleneck”. As we all know, sound is subjective, and I like the iFi sound. It’s plenty “detailed sounding” to me, without being fatiguing. I don’t really get your “of course they’ll tell you that’s the analog sound they’re striving for” comment. Is there something wrong with that? Should everyone want “digital sound”? Should everyone like the sound signature you prefer? Of course, the sound you get also depends on the headphone pairing.
Are there better DAC-amps out there? Of course there are many, and I own a few. But they cost significantly more (and aren’t portable, if that’s important to you). However, as far as sound for value, I’m a big fan of iFi. Their gear gets me 90% of where I want to go for a decent price. As I said above, I like the S2 as well, but its headphone amp section was unsatisfactory for my purposes and I returned it.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #552 of 777
Without getting into the reams of controversy surrounding Audio Science Review that often permeate forums such as these, I certainly wouldn’t be the least bit worried because a piece of equipment I like ranks in the middle of its “SINAD” list. Personally, I have yet to hear a better DAC-amp for the money than the iFi Nano IDSD Black Label. I don’t put much stock in your “really outdated” chip comment, because it’s the sound that counts, not the age of the chip. There is no “bottleneck”. As we all know, sound is subjective, and I like the iFi sound. It’s plenty “detailed sounding” to me, without being fatiguing. I don’t really get your “of course they’ll tell you that’s the analog sound they’re striving for” comment. Is there something wrong with that? Should everyone want “digital sound”? Should everyone like the sound signature you prefer? Of course, the sound you get also depends on the headphone pairing.
Are there better DAC-amps out there? Of course there are many, and I own a few. But they cost significantly more (and aren’t portable, if that’s important to you). However, as far as sound for value, I’m a big fan of iFi. Their gear gets me 90% of where I want to go for a decent price. As I said above, I like the S2 as well, but its headphone amp section was unsatisfactory for my purposes and I returned it.
Well you do partially confirm what I said you know. I agree, the ifi suffices, but everything I've heard since sounded simply better. That's not to say the nano is "bad".

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #553 of 777
I think the numbers don't lie though.

He's given good reviews to products I like, but his process drives me crazy. Having the money to buy test equipment doesn't make you a good tester. You must also learn how to structure a test plan. Otherwise, sure, numbers don't lie but what if you don't have all the numbers?

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #554 of 777
Amir is not an audiophile. He only listens through Sennheiser HD 650's, that is if he bothers to listen at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back