Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
May 6, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #526 of 777
Still enjoying my Pre Box S2 Digital, but now I mostly use my Project Ember amp with it. Have not had any issues with it that I am sure are S2 related, only one "drop out" and that was a network issue. Sometimes I get to excited and start clicking on different songs and different places in the tract to hear new music but I have managed to get through several full albums.

May 23, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #527 of 777
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #531 of 777
I purchased my Pre Box S2 Digital at Axpona and could not be more pleased with the performance. It easily drives my Focal Clears.
Probably the best-sounding DAC I have owned.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #532 of 777
sluchatka.jpg dac_amp.jpg

I've paired it with Gilmore Lite mk2 headphone amp, and extremely pleased with the result.
Brilliant combo for still very good price, and it can drive both Audeze LCD-X and Audio-Technica ADX5000 (420 Ohms).

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #533 of 777
No need to shove it in my face! :floatsmile:

But it looks so nice! You need to see every detail up close! :)

I purchased my Pre Box S2 Digital at Axpona and could not be more pleased with the performance. It easily drives my Focal Clears.
Probably the best-sounding DAC I have owned.

Interesting, happy to hear more people liking it, quite a lovely DAC/AMP

I've paired it with Gilmore Lite mk2 headphone amp, and extremely pleased with the result.
Brilliant combo for still very good price, and it can drive both Audeze LCD-X and Audio-Technica ADX5000 (420 Ohms).

That's interesting, you must listen a bit quieter than me, because I also tried it with Audeze, but with LCD-2C, and I think I use to listen louder, because I'd have wanted to have a bit more power and make them go louder . To its light though, it was very clean, clear and detailed, just not loud enough for my typical listening expeirence, at least with LCD-2C

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #534 of 777
Really?
50% of volume is extremely loud for me with Gilmore Lite Mk2, comfortable for 10 minutes of listening, not more.
But LCD-X have just 22 Ω, they are easier to drive.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #535 of 777
Really?
50% of volume is extremely loud for me with Gilmore Lite Mk2, comfortable for 10 minutes of listening, not more.
But LCD-X have just 22 Ω, they are easier to drive.

But you're adding an extra amplifier, I meant from the headphone output of Pre Box S2 alone

With an extra amplifier, like Feliks Echo, it can be enough for any headphone :)

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #536 of 777
This is my second Pre box 2s. I sold the first one because of software problems when this device first came out. I got a Liberty DAC which is slightly audibly better at over twice the price. I’m on page 20-40 on this post or somewhere.

Now I’m setting up a headphone station and I wanted to get a Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra.Get rid of the computer. So it was a natural to buy my second Pre Box S2. I’m happy to say all the software problems seem to have been ironed out. It was just plug and play. MQA on Tidal. Check.

All of you people arguing about the built in amp on the Pre Box...ARE YOU FUNNY. Forget there even is an amp. This is a damn fine DAC. Period

My new software problem: Does anyone know how to erase the entire que on the Stream box?

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #537 of 777
All of you people arguing about the built in amp on the Pre Box...ARE YOU FUNNY. Forget there even is an amp. This is a damn fine DAC. Period
Really? Lol. It’s sold as a DAC-amp with a headphone jack and plenty of people want to use it to drive headphones. Why would they forget there is an amp? There are plenty of competitive DACs in this price range. “Forgetting” it’s an amp changes the equation entirely.

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #538 of 777
Bummer! The usb power receptacle broke loose from the circuit board and is floating around inside the case. Guess I will see how good the warranty support is. :tired_face:

Here is a pix that shows what appears to be poorly soldered attach points which contributed to the fragility of the receptacle. There was very little solder evident on the 2 gold colored oval pads that are supposed to be attach points for the receptacle housing.

20190608_082914.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #539 of 777
Really? Lol. It’s sold as a DAC-amp with a headphone jack and plenty of people want to use it to drive headphones. Why would they forget there is an amp? There are plenty of competitive DACs in this price range. “Forgetting” it’s an amp changes the equation entirely.

Not that many DACs with MQA support are out there. Mytek Liberty maybe? But I would say it is not better, while being more expensive.

Anyway, I use S2 AMP to drive my CIEMs and external AMP to drive anything more power hungry.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #540 of 777
People what do you think, is it good to use it as a preamplifier for a lower-mid priced amplifier? Or it's better to buy an integrated amplifier. I'm thinking about using it with nad c268, or it's better to take nad c368 (I know that c368 have Dac, but i believe that prebox s2 dac is much better)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back