Pro 900 Review | The Bass Monster
Apr 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #151 of 166
Quote:
Katun, I want to ask since you are into open headphones and you did at one point rate the PRO 900, have you thought about trying the open ultrasones like the 2900?  Or have you changed your taste so no longer look for monster bass in your headphones?

The Pro 2900 is one of the headphones that I wanted to try most.

After finding I dislike the closed design of the Pro 900, yet really loved the bass, I knew there was only one direction. And *open* Pro 900 would simply be one of the best headphones I could think of, as it would give the Pro 900 it's missing soundstage. But unfortunately, the price is set a bit too high in contrast to the Pro 900, and very few vendors sold it. Due to that, I just passed up on it and went a different route. The Pro 900's highs were a bit too metallic for my liking as well, so I don't know how the Pro 2900 would handle that.

I actually still like my bass. A lot. Although I loved the AD900, I always kinda wished it had a bit more bass for most songs. The HD598 has more of a balanced bass, but still at times, I want something that extends lower and hits harder. So yes, I am still a basshead (got the XB700 and loving it), but I appreciate a balanced spectrum, with tame highs, and an expansive soundstage. Hopefully the HE-4 does the trick..

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #152 of 166
ah damn.  Didn't see the HE4.  The 2900 is probably not going to come along any time soon then.  
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #154 of 166
Having both the pro 900 and the DT990/600, I would love to see a comparison between the dt990 and the Pro 2900. Maybe even the HE-4 too.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #159 of 166
enjoy them. they need a decent burn in to get them right in place.
I wasn't overwhelmed by them right out of the box but wow do they burn in nicely.
You'll notice it as it all gets better with each second, what amp and dac are you using?

cheers

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #160 of 166

Quote:
Well Katun's swap isn't even that remarkable, I went from DT770 Pro and M50 to XB700 and then XB500 and concidered it as an upgrade every step... personal taste is so much more important than some people can even imagine. I may have a bad taste or whatever but I'm certainly not the one spending $1000 on my gear (yet...) and am probably just as satisfied as those that have spent $500 on theirs. :p

Bad Taste!  One of my favorite dnb albums.

Quote:

Believe me, there is an improvement in bass. It's not *I think*, it's *I know*. This is not something that is super tiny and is hard to recognize, this is like switching to a whole different headphone. The difference is obvious, and is not subtle at all. The bass is absolutely changed and improved, and you really can hear a difference in the sound.

Also, I'm not endorsing this cable, nor the combo with the headphone. I think it's a stellar combo, but the headphone I got today will most likely be replacing them both. I just wanted to hear for myself if something as subtle as a cable can make a difference in the sound. And it has. The bass is simply the best I've ever heard, even on the brink of "too good".

You were never meant to hear true bass.  You are correct sir , this bass is "too good" for you.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #161 of 166
Not to beat an old thread, but I stumbled upon this thread after searching for upper bass. There's a short story about that relevant to to my question, so I'll tell it. My audio journey has been a relatively short 5 years, and in that time, I can't say I've come very far. Although, I have finally been able to identify precisely what I want in headphones, and it's not entirely bass, my adoration of the DT770 showed that to me. I'll keep this short, the first entry level headphones I got were the Shure SRH440, and I liked them, with the exception of their non-existent bass (to my ears, many people found them to be fine). I then went to the opposite side of the spectrum, and got the XB700, and I liked them, with the exception of their simply poor sound quality. Then I bought the DT770 Pre 32 ohm, the ATH-A700, and later the HFI-580. I didn't like the A700 for anything really. The HFI580 sounds nice on its own, although its sound in the mid midrange sounds unnatural to me. I then tried to think of the the HFI580 stacked up the DT770 32ohm (since I had returned them at the time), and I thought that they were roughly equal with the DT770 32 ohm edging ahead a bit. Then, I got the DT770 Pre 600 Ohm (after getting the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, which do a great job amping them. I can't get past the 2 o'clock mark on my quietest song). The memories of the DT770 32 ohm flooded back to me, including my initial disappointment with their SQ. After some burn in (and I know that they're not close to done), the DT770 600 Ohms have already replaced my HFI580. I can't actually go back to listening to the HFI580 because of how inadequate they sound in comparison, However, I must take issue with the DT770 600 Ohm's lack of upper bass/lower midrange. Comparing the FR of the DT770 32 Ohm to the 600 Ohm, the 32 Ohm does give more in this range. However, I haven't replaced the DT770 600 Ohm with the 32 ohm because of how powerful the upper midrange and treble is. It's painful to my ears, to be honest. 7 kHz-20 kHz has been cut by 19 dB, and 1.8k-4k has been cut by -14 dB, it probably drastically alters the characteric of these headphones, but honestly, any less and it's painful. I recall this issue being drastically improved over burn-in with the DT770 32 ohm, but I'm not sure if the same will happen for the 600 ohm version. On the plus side, I like the way they sound with this alteration (and appropriate EQ'ing the other frequencies to compensate). I really like the upper bass/lower midrange of the DT770 line, with the 32 ohm version doing the best job, I think. However, I feel like I could also go for more natural sounding and detailed HFI-580 with better representation in these frequencies.

So my question, to whoever can answer it, should I upgrade to the PRO-900, switch over to the Beyerdyanmic DT770 Pre 32 Ohm, or take a look at the Shure SRH840/940 or the Denon AH-D5000? Through my journey, I have found that what I really love is strong bass (XB700) with an impressive and liquid upper bass/lower midrange (DT770) with great detail across the rest of the spectrum (DT770 and Shure SRH440).

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #162 of 166
The SRH940 will be too bass light for you, I guarantee it. Excellent phone, just too light for bassheads.

D2000 is exceptional, but the Pro 900 beats it in bass. Other than that, you'd be surprised at how similar they sound (D2000 is overall brighter, Pro 900 is more metallic).

XB700 / XB500 / MK2 are all headphones that flood you with bass. Pro 900 smacks you with it. And hard. But, since we aren't in a pool of bass like the XB700 and others, the music still comes out crystal clear through the other frequencies; with the exception of the midrange which is a bit recessed. After my entire journey, I want to try the Pro 900 again more than anything, to revisit the fantastic bass, and see how it stacks up to stuff like the HE-500 (not implying it's a bass monster, but it had very, very high quality and deep extending bass). Pro 900 is probably the *only* bass oriented headphone I've ever liked (D2000 was pretty dang good too), as it doesn't render the rest of the frequency unlistenable. It's not muddy, it's not lacking in SQ, just amazing bass when bass is asked for.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #163 of 166
Recessed midrange, sounds good to me. I'm fine with the HFI-580's midrange, thought it is overall veiled, but that's probably because of my DSPs to get more upper bass from it. I can only imagine that this has been considerably improved in the Pro 900s. Like I said, I found the DT770's upper midrange to be painful, and the highs are just terrible. So a pair of headphones that take care of that would make my EQ work considerably easier. Add in the fact that the bass is already there, and I can't really think of much to do with it except maybe EQ out some more openness.

Edit:
By terrible highs, I mean painful. The highs and mids are quite nice when my eardrums aren't bleeding.

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #164 of 166
Quote:
By terrible highs, I mean painful. The highs and mids are quite nice when my eardrums aren't bleeding.

Why don't you just turn it down? - You usually judge the loudness of a headphone by the higher-end of the spectrum, if you find the headphone to have sharp highs it likely means the mid-range is set back too much.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #165 of 166
I have turned it down, but the issue is the loss of SQ from too much EQ. I like the sound coming from the DT770, even if it is still a little ear-piercing in some songs, but it's a trade of between comfort and muddled sound. If the DT770 32 ohm is any indicator, this should drastically improve over the burn in period. I remember being eventually able to listen to the 32 ohm version almost unequalized, so I presume that the 600 ohm version will see the same change (fingers-crossed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back