Primaluna Evo 100, 200, 300, 400
Sep 6, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #46 of 161
if one does not intend to change tubes, is opting for the EVO100 over 200 make more sense?
Depends.
300 and 400 offer the option to switch between ultra linear and triode Mode for 2 Sound signatures.
Also more output power in case you have Susvaras or TCs

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #47 of 161
oh, is there some type of standby mode or does one need to flip the power switch? Maybe some mute mode that shuts the tubes off (like with the schiit stuff)?
I'm trying to workout how to control everything without having to touch it. (maybe a wifi plug :p )
The wife isn't going to be happy if she needs to flip a switch.

What schiit stuff? Things that go thump in the night...

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #49 of 161
Haha no Susvara here, only it’s little brother..

the 40W @ 8ohm for Evo100 also applies to the headphone output?
No the headphone output is considerably lower.
No official numbers available though.

For most headphones the evo 100 offers enough power. Only hard to drive ones like susvara etc should require 300/400 or the predecessor HP

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 161
Honestly I don’t think any hard drive headphones are good with the prima Luna. I got rid of my LCD 4 because it kept causing problems with my evo 300. I would be listening and all the sudden the sound will barely be there. I would then try a different headphone on it and it sound fine but the second I put the LCD4 back into it, it would do the same thing. All of my other headphones never have an issue. I am quite happy with the headphone amp otherwise. It is significantly better then my iFi Pro iCAN On most of my other headphones that I’ve tried with it. Both of my current headphones (Utopia and ATH-AWAS) are absolutely phenomenal on it. I look forward to how the vérité will be on it.

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #51 of 161
Honestly I don’t think any hard drive headphones are good with the prima Luna. I got rid of my LCD 4 because it kept causing problems with my evo 300. I would be listening and all the sudden the sound will barely be there. I would then try a different headphone on it and it sound fine but the second I put the LCD4 back into it, it would do the same thing. All of my other headphones never have an issue. I am quite happy with the headphone amp otherwise. It is significantly better then my iFi Pro iCAN On most of my other headphones that I’ve tried with it. Both of my current headphones (Utopia and ATH-AWAS) are absolutely phenomenal on it. I look forward to how the vérité will be on it.

not OTL, would that be a good pairing w Verite?

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 161
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #53 of 161
First time I hear this.
I heard many using their LCD4 that were totally happy with the pairing.

In fact the LCD-4 is one of the cans primaluna use for their internal tests when they produced this amp.
The previous series had 11.4 watts at 32 ohm. However they said they needed to reduce it for some reason, therefore I know that the new evo series has less than that.
I asked them via mail and they couldn't give me official figures but told me they use LCD4 in their internal tests and they run great with the amp.

Someone else contacted support for the power figures of the Evo 100 and received following answer:
32 0hms - 5.5W
60 ohms - 3W
120 ohms - 1.6W
600 ohms - 0.4W

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #54 of 161
First time I hear this.
I heard many using their LCD4 that were totally happy with the pairing.

In fact the LCD-4 is one of the cans primaluna use for their internal tests when they produced this amp.
The previous series had 11.4 watts at 32 ohm. However they said they needed to reduce it for some reason, therefore I know that the new evo series has less than that.
I asked them via mail and they couldn't give me official figures but told me they use LCD4 in their internal tests and they run great with the amp.

Someone else contacted support for the power figures of the Evo 100 and received following answer:
32 0hms - 5.5W
60 ohms - 3W
120 ohms - 1.6W
600 ohms - 0.4W

these figures are for the 1/4 headphone out?

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #55 of 161
Sep 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #56 of 161
Yes they told me 1.5 w at 100 ohms. But I don’t believe those figures. I had a Trafomatic Head 2 which is 2 w at 50 ohms which theoretically the primaLuna Would have had a lot more power. The Trafomatic definitely, without a doubt has more power than my EVO 300i. I think The headphone out is spectacular but who knows what the real figures are? Don’t get me wrong, my EVO 300 is my favorite gear I own!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #57 of 161
I’ve been using the EVO100 strictly as a headphone amp for the past 6 months and it sounds excellent on a wide variety of phones (Arya, LCDX, HD660S, Hemp, etc). Pretty sure it’s the best of the dozens of amps I’ve owned over the years.

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #58 of 161
I’ve been using the EVO100 strictly as a headphone amp for the past 6 months and it sounds excellent on a wide variety of phones (Arya, LCDX, HD660S, Hemp, etc). Pretty sure it’s the best of the dozens of amps I’ve owned over the years.
Nice to hear :)

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #59 of 161

Can you tell us also what other amps it surpassed?

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #60 of 161
Can anyone verify if what is stated in this manual is true for the Evo series? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1599574/Primaluna-Evolution-Series.html?page=12 on p. 8 it states it can be modded to have a headphone output that would match the Abyss or a Susvara upon request. I currently have the older dialogue premium hp and the headphone output really wont cut it for me with my Susvara's. I might think of upgrading when this mod is really possible to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back