Primaluna Evo 100, 200, 300, 400
Mar 7, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #151 of 161
I got an Evo 100 Integrated and I'm finding it a great headphone amp as well as the speaker amp I bought it for. So the headphone part is like a bonus for me. I'm using Sophia Electric EL34s with Psvane Art S small signal tubes and it sounds fantastic with my Audeze LCD3s:
IMG_20230308_040238.jpg

May 7, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #153 of 161
I am really impressed with the prima luna evo 300 as a headphone amp has some serious tube magic going on and is 1-2 tiers above my ho lee modded crack. For the money obviously crack is better but if cost is no object PL is no joke has all the warm crack tone but with more detail, clarity, much bigger stage better layering vocals have this incredibly intimacy that the crack can't match.

May 8, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #154 of 161
I just compared PL taps to headone out
with atticus
the taps sounds incredible
more clarity, detail... the sound becomes more effortless with much better macrodynamics, it sounds more powerful and there is more contrast... tone remains just as good

its another 1-2 leagues above the headphone jack
PL taps >> PL headphone out >>> Ho Lee Crack
incredible

only problem is it is noisy... but i would accept the noise for this sound
i had no idea headphones could sound this good
i dont remember even the susvara and TC off my pass 350.8 sounding this good
maybe i just forgot

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #155 of 161
Prima luna update: Ok strictly listening to 8 ohm taps and on my atticus... I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. I think this may have been the greatest headphone listening experience I've ever had. Absolutely beautiful tone with a rich clarity and full midrange tube magic that made me not want to move and completely immersed me in the music. The bass was exactly to my taste... it was not laser precise and ultra fast but it was also not sloppy or car bass like/boomy. It was full, round, weighty and gave a great solidity too the music without dominating the rest of the frequency ranges. The PL amp absolutely transformed my atticus and I had no idea this intersection of clarity, detail but at the same time raw musical flow was possible from this or any headphone!

Going to bottlehead there was absolutely no comparison. It sounded smaller, weaker, less 3-dimensionality. Surprisingly I think the bottlhead was actually tonally a bit cooler and not was colourfully rich as the PL. I felt the PL actually had this beautiful warm touch on brass especially when I listened to Delfeayo marsalis that made his trombone sound natural, musical and very enjoyable.

Going to pass + moreplay... the bass is faster, more see through, more incisive but not as solid and weighty/thick. Vocals and mids are drier but the soundstage is just as big and the detail and clarity overall is possibly just a small step beyond the PL amp (although I am not wanting for detail at all). The pass moreplay is just overall more see through and crystalline whereas the PL sound is more honey and web like... more cohesive in its sonic portrait... less distinct and more as if the elements of the music are working in a complementary fashion to portray the inner beauty of the music.

May 9, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #156 of 161
Too bad PL does not have a dedicated headphone amp/preamp giving us all the sound goodies of their speaker taps on a regular headphone adapter. They market the headphone out of these amps as being directly fed by the tubes but based on what you describe there clearly seems to be some electronics involved in the signal path because the sound is clearly way better with the taps. BTW which DAC/transport are you using?

May 9, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #157 of 161
Too bad PL does not have a dedicated headphone amp/preamp giving us all the sound goodies of their speaker taps on a regular headphone adapter. They market the headphone out of these amps as being directly fed by the tubes but based on what you describe there clearly seems to be some electronics involved in the signal path because the sound is clearly way better with the taps. BTW which DAC/transport are you using?
There is only a resistor in between to reduce noise and reduce the volume to "useable" levels.

Nothing more.

However I still think a dedicated headamp would be nice, it could run with only 2 KT88 instead of 4. Which would be plenty of power for headphones

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #158 of 161
There is only a resistor in between to reduce noise and reduce the volume to "useable" levels.

Nothing more.

However I still think a dedicated headamp would be nice, it could run with only 2 KT88 instead of 4. Which would be plenty of power for headphones
If there were only two output tubes, the amp wouldn’t be able to run in push pull mode, it would need to be single ended. I use my Evo 100 as a speaker amp as well as a headphone amp, and to me the big feature is that it does both jobs really well.

May 11, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #159 of 161
I had 1 final listening session before the amp had to go back to the dealer. It was mesmerizing. The HD800S was the best I ever heard it... all the detail and air I expect but then an amber kiss of tone that overlayed everything. I then went back to the perfect synergy of atticus and the PL amp and I was in heaven! I consider myself a speaker guy but the sound I heard from the atticus + PL combination was beyond anything I've heard in terms of raw musical enjoyment (including extremely pricey speaker systems). If I had to describe the sound in 1 word it was pure. The pureness of the sound was beyond anything I have heard at any venue at any price.

I unfortunately could not get this magic on my speakers with the PL amp because I think its under powered.

Now I am thinking what to do... get the PL amp just for headphones or maybe explore other tube options (especially made from that factor) like HA300 etc. Maybe I just love el34 tube amps?

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #160 of 161
Im struggling to recreate the magic I had with atticus + evo 300 speaker taps. I tried CJ lp70s with moreplay pre. Pass x350.8 with moreplay pre and even willsenton r800i. But none had the evo 300 magic.

I even listened to the evo 300 with klipsch cornwall IV to see if the magic was there with high efficiency speakers but it wasn't.

Arghhhhh. I gotta hear this combination again!

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #161 of 161
I forgot to report I did gett the evo 400 in and didn't get nearly the same magic on headphones as evo 300. And it was only slightly better on speakers but cj was far superior.

Is it because evo 400 is parallel push-pull and evo 300 is just push pull ? 8 tubes vs 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back