[PREVIEW] Brainwavz M5
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:
First time poster here so hello everyone!

I bought these M5s as my first decent IEM after reading many positive reviews, but so far I'm definitely not happy with my decision. Sound lacks bass, is too airy and thin. Basicly they sound worse than Apple stock earbuds (old model). I'm quite certain that, since the reviews are so positive, my pair is either broken or I cannot get a good seal.
 The sound I'm hearing is not distorded in any way and I can hear the bass frequencies, but they just are really recessed, so that leads me to believe that they're probably not broken. I tried all the tips to get a good seal, but nothing seems to help. I borrowed my friends cx-300 II to compare and with those it's really easy to get a good seal. I just plug them in my ears and get the same feeling as having earplugs on. For some reason this doesn't happen with the M5s. I even tried the cx-300 tips, but they were only slightly better (could be because cx-300s nozzle is slightly bigger so they don't maybe fit M5s properly).
 Any ideas what to try? I could order some other tips if you believe it really is just a seal problem or do you think they just could be defective? I've listened to the Sensaphonics seal test (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833) and 500Hz is definitely way louder that 50Hz, so it could indicate seal problem.
 I've opened a ticket about returning these, but since I have to pay return postage, I'd rather keep these if I can them working.
 For reference, in home I'm using Lavry DA10 with HD 650 or Genelec 8040 studio monitors so I'm fairly used to "good" sound.

Any help would be appreciated!

Problem sorted. Today I got some cx-400 tips and the bi-flange tips did the trick. I won't go into detail but the sound is now good and would definitely recommend these for the price.

It actually seems that when changing tips I didn't push them far enough into the nozzle. The tips kind of naturally lock to the wedge on the nozzle and since I'm not too familiar with iems, I thought that's the spot, but it seems that the tips need to be pushed all the way.

What's confusing, is that now the tip goes over the small vent where the nozzle meets the body and what's the point of the vent if it gets or almost gets covered?

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #47 of 90
The vent should be left open if you have not reason to do it other wise.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #48 of 90
Is this already a final release internationally or just a pre-order? It seems M4 is only available at our local stores. I saw at mp4nation website, I'm afraid of shipping delay though.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #51 of 90
Nov 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #53 of 90
Well, mp4nation is the company that owns the Branwavz brand as well. Most authorized retailers that carry Branwavz are limited to sell in a specific region (*local market mostly) so I don't think you have any other choice.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:
Well, mp4nation is the company that owns the Branwavz brand as well. Most authorized retailers that carry Branwavz are limited to sell in a specific region (*local market mostly) so I don't think you have any other choice.

Thanks ClieOS.. Yeah, I don't have a choice but I have to wait 'til an authorized resellers here our country does have the said item soon.

Would you prefer Brainwavz M5 than SoundMagic E10? when it comes to sound quality and build quality.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #55 of 90
Thanks ClieOS.. Yeah, I don't have a choice but I have to wait 'til an authorized resellers here our country does have the said item soon.

Would you prefer Brainwavz M5 than SoundMagic E10? when it comes to sound quality and build quality.

They are more or less equal in build quality, but M5 is much better sounding than E10..

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #57 of 90
Microphonics are slightly present right? The durability of cable is good? Regarding with Brainwavz M5..

Thanks

They are mentioned in the first post.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 90
Quote:
Verdict
Overall, M5 is easily ahead of the pack in the sub$50 category for sound quality and offers build quality and accessories that rival most IEM under the sub$100 category. These two factors combined make M5 an excellent buy worthy of a [4.9 / 5] Sonic Diamond recommendation.
Thank to MP4Nation for the sample.
For quick sum-up, please visit the link to Concise Multi-IEM Comparison in my sig.

These IEM's almost seem too good to be true but for $35 I doubt that one can go wrong. I've ordered a pair but still have one question that I haven't been able to answer from various reviews...
Would an iPhone 5 adequately drive these or am I going to need my outboard RS Hornet portable amp to get the job done properly?

Ps. I've found that, in the hifi world, you never get something for nothing and a dirt cheap speaker that performs well above it's price point generally needs a ridiculously expensive amp to work properly or, vice versa. The only exception I've found to this truism is in the pro audio world where my Genelec 8240 active monitors paired with the 7260a sub utterly destroy EVERYTHING "audiophile" (under $100,000). 

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #59 of 90
Jan 2, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #60 of 90
Thanx C,
Have also ordered a pair of Sony MH1C  just to see what all the fuss was about. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back