[PREVIEW] Brainwavz M5
Feb 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #76 of 90
I sent my M5 back. Maybe they have been defective?
I already wrote this in another thread:
Somehow I don't like the highs. I don't know how to describe it as I'm noob in this stuff. If I would describe it exaggerated, they sound a bit tinny and sometimes I get the feeling like there is a kind of a slightly echo.
My LG in-ears which came with my smartphone aren't very good and only have much bass which seems to swallow the higher area and they have a much worse resolution but they are more comfortable to hear somehow. I guess I prefer weak highs to very present and higher resoluted but kind of weird highs? In general for me the M5 are to bright/high. I don't have a problem with highs in general  as my Superlux HD681 do have a lot of them and I love those headphones. It's just how it sounds with the M5. Even the room and where the instruments appeared in it sometimes sounded wrong.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:
Of course. had any other headphones to compare them to?

Yeah but nothing in its price range.

Except maybe the R1s, but they are dual dynamic so its not really the same anyways.

If anyone cares, the R1s have a much bigger sound stage with better defined highs but more recessed mids.

Quote:
I sent my M5 back. Maybe they have been defective?
I already wrote this in another thread:
Somehow I don't like the highs. I don't know how to describe it as I'm noob in this stuff. If I would describe it exaggerated, they sound a bit tinny and sometimes I get the feeling like there is a kind of a slightly echo.
My LG in-ears which came with my smartphone aren't very good and only have much bass which seems to swallow the higher area and they have a much worse resolution but they are more comfortable to hear somehow. I guess I prefer weak highs to very present and higher resoluted but kind of weird highs? In general for me the M5 are to bright/high. I don't have a problem with highs in general  as my Superlux HD681 do have a lot of them and I love those headphones. It's just how it sounds with the M5. Even the room and where the instruments appeared in it sometimes sounded wrong.

I'm starting to notice this too,

Sometimes the whole spectrum just sounds wrong. Also, they really love having good source files like FLAC, I found that if I'm listening to any MP3 below 256kbps it just painful!

I find my newly arrived Brainwavz Alpha more easy to listen to, as well as them having a better presentation overall.

Not to even mention that they are about half the price of the M5.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #78 of 90
My files have been ripped from CD's. I didn't test the CD's but I can say for sure that my superlux never had any problems like that. I just plug them in and my brain and ears start to dance. I wanted something comparable, even if it is not in the same class, with an nice bass  as closed in-ears in the 70$ range and the M5 had been recommended to me. Maybe they are still to analytic and picky in opposite to the Superlux? There is still the chance that the M5 had been defective as many people seem to like it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #79 of 90
The M5 are definitely on the warm and fuzzy side.

Like I said, even the Alphas sound more defined in some ways.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #80 of 90
I dont get it, my two pairs just have no bass whatsoever almost. the bass is really compromise, no impact at all....

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:
I dont get it, my two pairs just have no bass whatsoever almost. the bass is really compromise, no impact at all....

Plenty of bass on mine. In fact, tends to be a bit over what I usually like. There seems to be two different sounding of M5 in existence....

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #82 of 90
well, the problem was because I didnt knew that we had to push the iem so its get sealed in the ear canals! Plenty of bass, indeed maybe a bit too much or upperbass.

I really had no idea that IEM'S had to be pushed in the ear canal.

sorry for the confusion, I think they sound great for 25$, the sound is close to my ath m50 really, maybe the sound is a bit more closed in, but yeah, it sounds great for the price

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #83 of 90
Quote:
well, the problem was because I didnt knew that we had to push the iem so its get sealed in the ear canals! Plenty of bass, indeed maybe a bit too much or upperbass.

I really had no idea that IEM'S had to be pushed in the ear canal.

sorry for the confusion, I think they sound great for 25$, the sound is close to my ath m50 really, maybe the sound is a bit more closed in, but yeah, it sounds great for the price

Great, for a moment I was worry that M5 might have build quality issue. Glad it all works out. Anyway, take a look at the IEM Guide in my signature, you might find more useful info there.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #84 of 90
So far the M5 seems to be the best iems in the 50$ class. That's what I read so far. The next better thing I was recommended are the shure se215 but thats to much money for rare used in-ears.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #85 of 90
So far the M5 seems to be the best iems in the 50$ class. That's what I read so far. The next better thing I was recommended are the shure se215 but thats to much money for rare used in-ears.

You might wanna check out the Brainwavz Alpha and SoundMAGIC E10 as well. :wink:

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #86 of 90
I have had my m5s since october 2012, and love them. I listen to a wide range of music from epic production music/scores ( ES Posthumus, two steps from hell)  to the various types of metal (Korpiklaani, Kvelertak, Erra, Eluveitie). I use them so much i have worn out the comfy tips that they came with and the other tips don't fit my ears right. I guess i have small ear canals or something. I contacted the brainwaves people through amazon about getting replacement tips but didn't get a responce. So now i am coming hear asking for some advice on which comfy tips i should purchase. Also i tried out the flanged/winged tips and i liked them but they were just a little to big to fit. So i guess i would like to purchase small version of both kinds. And if this helps my ears get pretty waxy. Thanks Head-fi!

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #87 of 90
Quote:
Of course. had any other headphones to compare them to?

Yeah compared them to a couple of my earphones. Brainwavz Alpha and SoundMAGIC E10s.

Btw, I'm selling my M5s if anyone is interested. :wink:

The sound signature just isnt for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654701/brainwavz-m5-iem-for-sale-x2-one-unopened-other-slightly-used

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #88 of 90
Need help in deciding whether to get r1 or m5 ...my current fav are yuin pk3,sm e10 and jvc hafx1x...i guess i like my iem with solid amount of bass ..fun sounding and not so much for high treble .

Any input would be much appreciated...thanks a lot.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #89 of 90
So I've had these for a few months now, and I'm pretty satisfied with the sound. However, yesterday I had to glue the housing parts back together (shoddy build quality), and while doing that I saw that there were vent holes there, but they were glued shut. I assumed it was my own glue, so I punctured them and HOLY HELL the sound is different now. No more bass, and any isolation it had is gone now. On the upside, no more driver flex. So... This pretty much sucks as they seem unusable in this state and I used them quite a lot. Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have any idea how to go about filling them again? Thanks!

Edit:
I put some sticky tack in them and they sound like normal again, but I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution.

Quote:
I have had my m5s since october 2012, and love them. I listen to a wide range of music from epic production music/scores ( ES Posthumus, two steps from hell)  to the various types of metal (Korpiklaani, Kvelertak, Erra, Eluveitie). I use them so much i have worn out the comfy tips that they came with and the other tips don't fit my ears right. I guess i have small ear canals or something. I contacted the brainwaves people through amazon about getting replacement tips but didn't get a responce. So now i am coming hear asking for some advice on which comfy tips i should purchase. Also i tried out the flanged/winged tips and i liked them but they were just a little to big to fit. So i guess i would like to purchase small version of both kinds. And if this helps my ears get pretty waxy. Thanks Head-fi!

You can order new comply tips from complyfoam.com. The small T-400s did the trick for me, although next time I would consider ordering the S-400. I think what came with the earphones were medium-size S-400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back