[PREVIEW] Brainwavz M5
Sep 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 90
Quote:

Same here. Plus I traded in some points I got when I ordered the M4 (also with mic) 2 weeks ago ;p Just couldn't leave em for that price. 
Personally I prefer the more balanced sound of the M5 over that of the M4. They're more pleasant to my ears because they don't sound as harsh as the M4 do with a lot of the post-rock music I listen too. 

One note on the driver flex though, I'm getting it a lot more with the M5 when I insert them into my ears, then I did with the M4..

I had the same problem with driver flex with my M5s, and not with the M4s, but the foam tips took care of it. The copper colour looks better in person than the photos on my screen and the port at the back of the housing is a lot smaller than I expected, since some of the photos I've seen are way bigger than actual size. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #33 of 90
I've been using the Comply-foam tips for a few days now. Never really was a fan of them when I used my UE600vi, but these are actually quite nice. And the driver flex is completely gone.
I did notice that the small opening in the housing near the nozzles is glued shut or something, which is quite strange. I checked with MP4Nation, and they said that it shouldn't be a problem to punch a hole though it with a needle if I think it causes problems (such as driver flex and pressure buildup). I tried it, but the needle doesn't seem to do much.
And yeah, the port on the back is indeed nicely small. A lot smaller than on the M4. So the noise from the wind when wearing them outside is considerably less. I can't really use my M4+ outside when riding my bike to work because of this..

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #34 of 90
I received my M5's (w/o mic) within 3 days (I reside in India) thanks to fedex quick delivery service,but customs charges did breakeven whatever advantage I had in regards to discounts.
  As for the IEM itself ,its very well built but yes little bit of driver flex with the silicon tips .Being newbie,I  dont know much about the detailed sound analysis done here and hence wouldn't try to review sound quality and stuff but suffice to say that I am more then happy with my little black metal pairs.Comply foam tips is certainly an added advantage .

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #36 of 90
Just bought one, as I have always wanted to own a mid-centric IEM, all of mine are either V/U shaped or neutral...

As always Tai's review is excellent and somewhat induces me to want to buy :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #40 of 90
First time poster here so hello everyone!

I bought these M5s as my first decent IEM after reading many positive reviews, but so far I'm definitely not happy with my decision. Sound lacks bass, is too airy and thin. Basicly they sound worse than Apple stock earbuds (old model). I'm quite certain that, since the reviews are so positive, my pair is either broken or I cannot get a good seal.
 The sound I'm hearing is not distorded in any way and I can hear the bass frequencies, but they just are really recessed, so that leads me to believe that they're probably not broken. I tried all the tips to get a good seal, but nothing seems to help. I borrowed my friends cx-300 II to compare and with those it's really easy to get a good seal. I just plug them in my ears and get the same feeling as having earplugs on. For some reason this doesn't happen with the M5s. I even tried the cx-300 tips, but they were only slightly better (could be because cx-300s nozzle is slightly bigger so they don't maybe fit M5s properly).
 Any ideas what to try? I could order some other tips if you believe it really is just a seal problem or do you think they just could be defective? I've listened to the Sensaphonics seal test (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833) and 500Hz is definitely way louder that 50Hz, so it could indicate seal problem.
 I've opened a ticket about returning these, but since I have to pay return postage, I'd rather keep these if I can them working.
 For reference, in home I'm using Lavry DA10 with HD 650 or Genelec 8040 studio monitors so I'm fairly used to "good" sound.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #43 of 90
Quote:
First time poster here so hello everyone!

I bought these M5s as my first decent IEM after reading many positive reviews, but so far I'm definitely not happy with my decision. Sound lacks bass, is too airy and thin. Basicly they sound worse than Apple stock earbuds (old model). I'm quite certain that, since the reviews are so positive, my pair is either broken or I cannot get a good seal.
 The sound I'm hearing is not distorded in any way and I can hear the bass frequencies, but they just are really recessed, so that leads me to believe that they're probably not broken. I tried all the tips to get a good seal, but nothing seems to help. I borrowed my friends cx-300 II to compare and with those it's really easy to get a good seal. I just plug them in my ears and get the same feeling as having earplugs on. For some reason this doesn't happen with the M5s. I even tried the cx-300 tips, but they were only slightly better (could be because cx-300s nozzle is slightly bigger so they don't maybe fit M5s properly).
 Any ideas what to try? I could order some other tips if you believe it really is just a seal problem or do you think they just could be defective? I've listened to the Sensaphonics seal test (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833) and 500Hz is definitely way louder that 50Hz, so it could indicate seal problem.
 I've opened a ticket about returning these, but since I have to pay return postage, I'd rather keep these if I can them working.
 For reference, in home I'm using Lavry DA10 with HD 650 or Genelec 8040 studio monitors so I'm fairly used to "good" sound.

Any help would be appreciated!

I recommend check speaker polarity issue.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #44 of 90
Quote:
Did you try the Comply foam tips yet?

I did try Comply tips and they give slightly better balance, but only slightly. With the Complys I also kind of tried to position the tips better by pushing them further in or against the sides and in some specific angles I seemed to get noticeably better response. So I guess I just could have weirdly shaped ear canals, but it bothers me that two other people also tried these and could not get balanced sound. Does this sound like a seal issue to you or is it plausible that they could be broken in some way?
Quote:
I recommend check speaker polarity issue.

Could you please specify? Stereo imaging seems normal so I believe the speakers are in same phase.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #45 of 90
Just receive mine - after 2 days of struggle trying to find the perfect tips (none of the ones that come with the IEM give me a good seal), I settled on the large UE silicone tips...

Absolutely amazing, put simply IMHO, this is the best bang for buck IEM that I have ever heard (<$50)...

now I wait for the R1...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back