preferring little dot micro to total airhead... why?!
Aug 17, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by heretical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the different gains (I know it can be requested in a lower gain) affect the sound. Perhaps the lower gain is the brighter.

Btw, the LDM+ has a musical sound (despite being not warm tonally), a merit not all the popular portable amps have... I remember I thought it was better for the HD485 than the Portaphile X3 with buffers, which sounded loudnessy and aggressive by comparison (and not more detailed - on the contrary, I clearly preferred the treble resolution of the LDM+).

Portaphile X3 is of significantly lower SQ than the Portaphile Maxed w/LT1210+1500uf BlackGates -- and I agree about the X3's more aggressive sound. The Maxed is remarkably musical, layered, extended, clear and immersive -- which the LDM+ is not (by comparison). Of course the LDM+ is priced lower than the Portaphile Maxed, but I'm speaking only of SQ, not sound-for-buck.

Though I wasn't crazy about the Total Bithead, I found it less offensive than the LDM+, but it's been a long while since I've heard it so I can't comment further.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 22
but what's strange is that there seem to be differing opinions, evaluations of the little dot micro (dark, bright) ~ i suspect it's a quality control issue (or non-issue, as the case may be)

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 22
I just received a LDM+ and while I like the sound improvement over my ipods standard headphone jack, I am hearing a lot of hiss when there is no music playing through my SE210's. Is this normal? Its significantly less noticeable when the volume on the LDM+ is set to the 1 o'clock position and not noticeable at all with my PX100's.

I wanted the amp because of its small size and batter life. I also wanted something to cut the hiss from my iPod 5G and Touch but that problem has seems to be worse. Really it has nothing to do the iPods I suppose since the hiss is there regardless of whether anything is plug in.

thanks for the help.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #20 of 22
To give you an idea, I'm using an AV-710 hooked up to a Little Dot II+ right now and it's absolutely silent, no noise at all. What drivers are you using with your Chaintech, and are you sure you're plugged into the HQ alt-out jack? Sounds like you may be going through the crappy headphone out jack instead, which would explain the noise and quiet volume levels.

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the LD MK1 yet? I bet it's a major improvement over the LDM+.

Must be a very "daring" thing to try out a new amp, especially one that Sklyab hasn't favourably reviewed.

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be a very "daring" thing to try out a new amp, especially one that Sklyab hasn't favourably reviewed.

I just can't buy into that frame of mind.
wink.gif
So many of those multi-unit comparison reviews are out of date within weeks of them being posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back