Predator vs. Pico?
Jan 22, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #256 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyRedHead
Pico set to high impedance with low or mid impedance cans, more impactful bass?!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyRedHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and more compressed.

Please stop...especially since you don't seem to even own a Pico.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #258 of 451
Quote:

Give it a try when you get yours, changing the gain setting will make it sound like two different amps. Would you like a picture of it?

I'm listening to mine now and no I don't hear any difference, especially since each change in gain setting would require each instance to be level matched with a SPL meter to be accurate for comparison.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #260 of 451
Quote:

The small switch on the front using the same cans makes no change in the sound for you?

Can't you read?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #261 of 451
RubyRedHead

Flipping the switch does increase or decrease the volume, but the other person was saying once the sound volume level is matched using the volume knob, that the sound quality/characteristic, sounds the same.

The gain switch does allows the listener with very efficient headphones to have more control over the volume, instead of only being able to use a small part of the volume knob's travel or turning radius. At low gain, the knob has to be turned farther to get very loud, so the sound level can be adjusted in smaller increments up or down. Otherwise, a small 1.0mm turn of the knob could go from being too quiet to being too loud.

Is english your primary language?

Okay, now I see "banned" after I typed all that...

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #263 of 451
And now... banned.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #265 of 451
I have a question that I may have missed an answer for in reading the various portable dac/amp threads. And that is...what is the best or proper way or set up to use the dac as a "line out"? I have Predator with about 350 hours and increasing...soon will want to seriously listen to its dac vs...the beresford and Lavry Dac's that I have...
Which gain setting would be best and does one set the volume to max ? I've tried the medium setting and the volume set at about noon with good results but once I get the Predator to about 500 hrs and my soon to arrive Pico then I would want to compare using the best method...TIA

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #267 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been feeding a Hornet with my Pico set like that and it works very well.

blasphemy

off with his (leather) head
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #269 of 451
Perversion, disgusting . . . uhg. . . so what . . . you know . . type of . . gah. . . music . . do they. . . . produce? at least it's not two, shudder. . . picos. . incestuous . .

Oh wait. . I used to do this with my Xin amps. . . and I tried it once. . I said only Once! with the Reference and Predator. . but only once! I swear. . well maybe another time. . but I forgot I had already tried it. . I swear.

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #270 of 451
One question, would appreciate it if Edwood can answer it.
biggrin.gif

Amp only, which one has better detail, soundstage, and seperation?? The Pico or the predator. I'm asking you since you mentioned you like electronica
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back