Predator vs. Pico?
Jan 6, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #121 of 451
Give me a week or 2...I listened to the Predator only so far for 4 hours; pico is sitting my on desk. I have Never heard my HD650 sound like this single ended (stock cable).
In fact, i think it sounds nicer than balanced out of my DAC1. This is my first experience (Ray still has my Apache) with an RSA product and this is an awesome introduction.

I spent about 15 minutes with the Pico which isn't a lot of time. i can definitely say that the Predator and Pico don't sound at all the same. One crowd will like 1 better than the other. Two completely different flavors. I don't think i will compare them to each other because they arent really comparable.

Props to Steve aka ASR for making this loaner program possible.

DSCF1127.jpg

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #122 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can definitely say that the Predator and Pico don't sound at all the same. One crowd will like 1 better than the other. Two completely different flavors. I don't think i will compare them to each other because they arent really comparable.

I have a lot of respect for these comments.

Fanboy-ism is child play.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #123 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can definitely say that the Predator and Pico don't sound at all the same. One crowd will like 1 better than the other. Two completely different flavors. I don't think i will compare them to each other because they arent really comparable.

That doesn't sound like a cop out or anything, but will you eventually be able to give us the differences between them, not which one is better (maybe , just how they differ?

Thanks,

Steve.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #124 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a lot of respect for these comments.

Fanboy-ism is child play.
wink.gif

Me too.

Fanboyism aside, if not comparing, how about contrasting. As the two are differing flavors it'd be nice to contrast them to get a notion of which we might like best. Not too many of us can afford to try both. This is why we like to listen vicariously through those that can. I'd like to know where the biggest differences lie and in what way. Then you're not comparing or taking sides, but highlighting differences to let us decide which might better suit us. I have no ax to grind and have limited info as most talk only of one or the other in isolation.

*EDI*
Dangit Steve, you beat me to it. My two thumb typing speed really slows me down, Blasted thumbpads!
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #125 of 451
oh, i'll definitely tell you how they both sound. I need more time to think about what im hearing and of course to give some time to the Pico.

Upon plugging the Pico in, i acknowledged a familiar sound. It sounds just like it's bigger cousin the Gilmore lite/GS1: A wire with gain. That is headamp's signature philosophy.

The Predator is different. It seems to enhance the music into something 'better', more musical (i got this line from the apache review). It's so damn clear/analytical/detailed that i want to call this transparent. From what i read throughout many other reviews, the headamp/dac1 is my best reference point to transparent/neutral.

i'm wondering what a SR71 or tomahawk sounds like now.

You see the dilemma?

The Pico and Predator are so different that i could double blind test and know which one everytime.

When i write up the review i will make a new thread; then you will probably hear from the 2nd loaner.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #127 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't sound like a cop out or anything, but will you eventually be able to give us the differences between them, not which one is better (maybe , just how they differ?

Thanks,

Steve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too.

Fanboyism aside, if not comparing, how about contrasting. As the two are differing flavors it'd be nice to contrast them to get a notion of which we might like best. Not too many of us can afford to try both. This is why we like to listen vicariously through those that can. I'd like to know where the biggest differences lie and in what way. Then you're not comparing or taking sides, but highlighting differences to let us decide which might better suit us. I have no ax to grind and have limited info as most talk only of one or the other in isolation.

*EDI*
Dangit Steve, you beat me to it. My two thumb typing speed really slows me down, Blasted thumbpads!
tongue.gif

x3.

When we assume that the Pico and Predator are the best portable amp/DAC combo, the rule of diminishing return applies. The difference might be minute if one is better than the other. I'd prefer to see differences in characters rather than determining which is a better amp.

After all, your shoes fit your feet, but they might hurt mine even when we wear the same size...
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #128 of 451
I think its great that portables have reached such a point that we now can look to the refinements, the little things that may make them more to one person or another's liking but the ultimate sound quality is not missing no matter what is chosen. Exciting times.

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #129 of 451
Let's hear the impressions! It's great for you to sit back and enjoy both amps, but there are lots of people trying to figure out which one to buy. 425 and 500 bucks aren't chump change, so these contrasts are slightly important. Can you talk about music types that work better with each? Sorry to sound impatient, but you're in a privileged position to have both in your possession at the same time.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #130 of 451
There are two aspects to compare.
Amp section, favoring one over another might in fact be just a matter of personal preferences.
And DAC section, comparison of that part should be much more interesting.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #131 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two aspects to compare.
Amp section, favoring one over another might in fact be just a matter of personal preferences.
And DAC section, comparison of that part should be much more interesting.

The amps on both will be in the circuit so you will have that influence when trying to compare dacs. There is no way to know the absolute sound of the dac because it can not be hooked up to a neutral (separate amp). Of course comparing the amp section as you mention is possible but sometimes it is the synergy that comes into play.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #133 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amps on both will be in the circuit so you will have that influence when trying to compare dacs. There is no way to know the absolute sound of the dac because it can not be hooked up to a neutral (separate amp). Of course comparing the amp section as you mention is possible but sometimes it is the synergy that comes into play.

If Pico indeed is as transparent as GLite/GS1, using it as a DAC and hooking up into Predator may produce intriguing results.
Guess the opposite might not work that well due to Predator's coloration.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #134 of 451
Ahhhhhh!!!! 14 pages of predator vs pico, and also other threads about this, and nobody has really said anything. I see alot of type and text, but i know nothing of the comparison. What kills me,is i heard both at a meet,but it was on different headphones, and it was noisy there,so i really couldnt compare. Really i was most impressed with the Portaphile amp,for a portable. It had punch,which is all you can hear at a meet. You cant hear blackness or look for hiss or detail with 50 people in a small room laughing and talking.
I should have put both side by side and yelled "shut up!!!" and compared right there,but i didnt....it was my first meet...lol.
Next meet ill be more bold..lol.

So ....those of you that have compared both......amp to amp,,and dac to dac........the differences please! (With all due respect of course
smily_headphones1.gif
) . (((Shakes)))

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #135 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eh. The Pico's amp is about as transparent as one good hope for and I believe that to be exceedingly transparent. Generally when an amp is going to go and color the hell out of sound it's a warm/syrupy/fuzzy sounding amp. You can't color in detail/soundstage/imaging... but you can fuzz/over-warm things.

Also if you really know the rest of the components in a chain you should be able to some degree isolate the effects/sound of an individual component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back