Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Nov 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,851 of 3,654
@Precogvision between the PR1 Balance and PR1 HiFi, Which one do you prefer? You think they're worth the price? Quick impression?
They look cheap on the outside…https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/news/KZ_PR1 look at the pic from the back - front looks very nice though. I got the planar moondrops but fit was like trying to squeeze a traffic cone into my ear - what were they thinking.

I might get a pair of these for walking etc depending on feedback

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,852 of 3,654
They look cheap on the outside…https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/news/KZ_PR1 look at the pic from the back - front looks very nice though. I got the planar moondrops but fit was like trying to squeeze a traffic cone into my ear - what were they thinking.

I might get a pair of these for walking etc depending on feedback
Following up on my previous post - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-kz-pr1-standard-balanced.26043/reviews meh - if they had made it as one with a tuning switch or bass adjustment + some general improvements and made it more like a $500 IEM then I think they have a winner. Until then I’ll pass.

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #2,853 of 3,654
7th Acoustics Supernova Impressions

Price: $750 USD
Configuration: 6BA
Unit kindly on loan for review by 7th Acoustics.

supernova2.jpg

Here’s a brand that I doubt will ring many bells. 7th Acoustics is a small Indonesian brand that isn’t even on the fringes of the international market. Similar to South Korean brand Hidition’s early days, 7th Acoustics prefers not to associate with the international market, instead focusing on the domestic market where they know their audience. The brand was originally brought to my attention by my friend Tork, and I expressed my interest in a demo unit to Stephen from 7th Acoustics almost exactly a year ago. Yes, it took a long time to get my ears on a unit. But good things often take time and my interest was merely piqued, so I was in no rush.

Now let me preface my thoughts on the Supernova with the subject of tonal preferences and what qualifies good tuning. When one presents the idea of a tonal “panacea” - something that doesn’t exist, but for the sake of argument we’ll pretend like it does - IEMs like the SoftEars RSV, ThieAudio Clairvoyance, and Blessing 2 Dusk are the usual suspects. These IEMs are mostly renditions of Harman tuning with subtle tweaks that should at least make them sound decent for the majority of listeners. But what if someone thought outside of the box and took the idea of a tonal panacea a step further? To my ears, that is the Supernova.

graph (5).png

The bass of the Supernova is about perfectly meshed with the midrange. It’s sub-bass focused, then, with a slight tilt into the lower-midrange that allows for some extra thump and bloom to bass decay. Honestly, it’s a tad too much mid-bass for me coming off the likes of the Elysian Diva; at the very least, I do find myself desiring more sub-bass on runs like Seori’s “Lovers in the Night” where the track demands a deeper bass focus. But overall, I don’t think the Supernova has bad bass. It works well enough for most tracks with mid-bass lines like Lexie Liu's "Holy" and most conventional drums. I don't find myself thinking about it too much after some brain burn-in, which is about as much as most BA bass can ask for.

In any case, the slight dash of mid-bass is critical to creating the Supernova’s midrange which (and this is putting it lightly) is exemplary. I alluded earlier to most “pleasant” sounding IEMs adhering to Harman tuning with subtle tweaks. The Supernova mostly throws the book out the window. In addition to that dash of lower-midrange warmth, after rising at 1kHz, the Supernova is then about dead flat from 2kHz to 7kHz. It’s fairly reigned in these regions too, so vocals are just on the thicker side in terms of note weight. Inherently, there is a slight bias to male vocals and instruments like bass guitar, as we associate these sounds with being richer. But it doesn’t really matter what instruments or vocals fall under the midrange of the Supernova: they consistently sound natural, soulful, and devoid of sibilance. Hell, it’s enough to make even the most shouty of tracks that plague my library, like SNSD’s “Forever 1”, sound palatable.

A lot of this also has to do with the Supernova's treble response. It's not perfect to my ears, but it does have some noteworthy features. For one, it is mostly smoothed in the right regions, not dissimilar to something like the Elysian Diva. One of the four bores at the nozzle of the Supernova is actually a dummy tube. It's effectively a chamber intended to precisely dampen resonance at 8kHz, and it definitely works. I don’t believe the treble comes back up as sharply compared to the Diva, though, and it’s more of a linear path after 8kHz up to the limits of my hearing. This extension is achieved via the use of a horn on the tweeters, a method that is seen on some newer models hitting the market like the Moondrop Variations and CraftEars IEMs. In any case, this all culminates in a softer treble response with excellent extension; it’s almost sweet sounding if that paints a better picture.

Along these lines, a general observation of the Supernova’s tuning is that it is devoid of any egregious peaks or valleys. In tandem with the more relaxed pinna compensation, this facilitates louder and longer listening. I’m not saying this is necessarily desirable, but it's a phenomenon you’ll usually observe with good speakers that measure flat. Listening louder inherently increases perception of dynamic contrast, and - as I’m sure many will attest to - music just sounds better at higher volumes. In any case, the Supernova definitely sounds reasonably dynamic à la 64A’s IEMs.

Transients on the Supernova even remind me a lot of the 64A U6t. They’re softer around the edges, a combination of the warmer lower-midrange and dampened mid-treble. But because of the excellent treble extension, detail doesn’t seem particularly lacking. Sure, the Supernova is not going to compete with something like the Elysian Gaea for a sense of detail (the Gaea’s transients are noticeably crisper), but it doesn’t necessarily need to. The Supernova’s a set that I can listen to for hours and keep wanting to pop back in because it’s just so pleasing for timbre. On the topic of timbre, I would not hesitate to suggest that the Supernova is superior in timbre to most DDs I’ve heard; after all, I find timbre is mostly just tonality which this absolutely nails. The Supernova is also incredibly coherent with a perceptively even attack and decay to transients from top to bottom. On a high level, some of this is attributable to the way 7th Acoustics has uniquely implemented the crossover network of the Supernova.

The bottom line is that the Supernova is a noteworthy IEM that I feel warrants more attention. It employs multiple novel tuning techniques, and the results speak for themselves both on paper and in my ears. But I don’t blame Stephen for being hesitant to enter the international market. The market is incredibly competitive nowadays at this price range even if I think the Supernova contends at the top of its price bracket. And hey, I have to admit that, in some sense, it’s exciting being one of the few in the know about a gem like this.

Bias Score: 7/10

I did debate between a '7' and a '8' bias score. I think that the Supernova is slightly better than a lot of IEMs I've rated 7 for my preferences in the past, as I definitely prefer it to the Moondrop Variations, SA6 Ultra, and RSV which I all have for direct A/B. I suspect I'd prefer it to the IER-M9 too. The Supernova falls short, however, of some of the recent Elysian stuff I've given an '8'. I feel those IEMs have more character and 'wow' factor in comparison. That would be my main reservation with the Supernova. The tonality of the Supernova is nearly immaculate with so little to criticize; ironically, so much so that I want more ear time to err on the side of caution first. That's no worry because I've purchased my own unit. I suspect I'll just end up splitting the difference between the scores (for a '7.5') eventually.

All critical listening done off of my iPhone 13 Mini and iBasso DX300.

Nov 5, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2,854 of 3,654
… along comes a small company no one’s heard of and with one person’s review they completely show up (most of) the rest of the IEM market. Especially coming after the Oracle MKII that is impressive on every front, especially tech/implementation. Sure, that graph looks better than almost any other but it actually sounds like they have the tech/implementation to back it up. Unlike the OMKII. That is impressive. If they didn’t want to enter the international market before I can’t imagine they’ll have much of a choice now (unless they don’t except orders from over seas).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,855 of 3,654

supernova2.jpg

Here’s a brand that I doubt will ring many bells. 7th Acoustics is a small Indonesian brand that isn’t even on the fringes of the international market. Similar to South Korean brand Hidition’s early days, 7th Acoustics prefers not to associate with the international market, instead focusing on the domestic market where they know their audience. The brand was originally brought to my attention by my friend Tork, and I expressed my interest in a demo unit to Stephen from 7th Acoustics almost exactly a year ago. Yes, it took a long time to get my ears on a unit. But good things often take time and my interest was merely piqued, so I was in no rush.

Now let me preface my thoughts on the Supernova with the subject of tonal preferences and what qualifies good tuning. When one presents the idea of a tonal “panacea” - something that doesn’t exist, but for the sake of argument we’ll pretend like it does - IEMs like the SoftEars RSV, ThieAudio Clairvoyance, and Blessing 2 Dusk are the usual suspects. These IEMs are mostly renditions of Harman tuning with subtle tweaks that should at least make them sound decent for the majority of listeners. But what if someone thought outside of the box and took the idea of a tonal panacea a step further? To my ears, that is the Supernova.

graph (5).png

The bass of the Supernova is about perfectly meshed with the midrange. It’s sub-bass focused, then, with a slight tilt into the lower-midrange that allows for some extra thump and bloom to bass decay. Honestly, it’s a tad too much mid-bass for me coming off the likes of the Elysian Diva; at the very least, I do find myself desiring more sub-bass on runs like Seori’s “Lovers in the Night” where the track demands a deeper bass focus. But overall, I don’t think the Supernova has bad bass. It works well enough for most tracks with mid-bass lines like Lexie Liu's "Holy" and most conventional drums. I don't find myself thinking about it too much after some brain burn-in, which is about as much as most BA bass can ask for.

In any case, the slight dash of mid-bass is critical to creating the Supernova’s midrange which (and this is putting it lightly) is exemplary. I alluded earlier to most “pleasant” sounding IEMs adhering to Harman tuning with subtle tweaks. The Supernova mostly throws the book out the window. In addition to that dash of lower-midrange warmth, after rising at 1kHz, the Supernova is then about dead flat from 2kHz to 7kHz. It’s fairly reigned in these regions too, so vocals are just on the thicker side in terms of note weight. Inherently, there is a slight bias to male vocals and instruments like bass guitar, as we associate these sounds with being richer. But it doesn’t really matter what instruments or vocals fall under the midrange of the Supernova: they consistently sound natural, soulful, and devoid of sibilance. Hell, it’s enough to make even the most shouty of tracks that plague my library, like SNSD’s “Forever 1”, sound palatable.

A lot of this also has to do with the Supernova's treble response. It's not perfect to my ears, but it does have some noteworthy features. For one, it is mostly smoothed in the right regions, not dissimilar to something like the Elysian Diva. One of the four bores at the nozzle of the Supernova is actually a dummy tube. It's effectively a chamber intended to precisely dampen resonance at 8kHz, and it definitely works. I don’t believe the treble comes back up as sharply compared to the Diva, though, and it’s more of a linear path after 8kHz up to the limits of my hearing. This extension is achieved via the use of a horn on the tweeters, a method that is seen on some newer models hitting the market like the Moondrop Variations and CraftEars IEMs. In any case, this all culminates in a softer treble response with excellent extension; it’s almost sweet sounding if that paints a better picture.

Along these lines, a general observation of the Supernova’s tuning is that it is devoid of any egregious peaks or valleys. In tandem with the more relaxed pinna compensation, this facilitates louder and longer listening. I’m not saying this is necessarily desirable, but it's a phenomenon you’ll usually observe with good speakers that measure flat. Listening louder inherently increases perception of dynamic contrast, and - as I’m sure many will attest to - music just sounds better at higher volumes. In any case, the Supernova definitely sounds reasonably dynamic à la 64A’s IEMs.

Transients on the Supernova even remind me a lot of the 64A U6t. They’re softer around the edges, a combination of the warmer lower-midrange and dampened mid-treble. But because of the excellent treble extension, detail doesn’t seem particularly lacking. Sure, the Supernova is not going to compete with something like the Elysian Gaea for a sense of detail (the Gaea’s transients are noticeably crisper), but it doesn’t necessarily need to. The Supernova’s a set that I can listen to for hours and keep wanting to pop back in because it’s just so pleasing for timbre. On the topic of timbre, I would not hesitate to suggest that the Supernova is superior in timbre to most DDs I’ve heard; after all, I find timbre is mostly just tonality which this absolutely nails. The Supernova is also incredibly coherent with a perceptively even attack and decay to transients from top to bottom. On a high level, some of this is attributable to the way 7th Acoustics has uniquely implemented the crossover network of the Supernova.

The bottom line is that the Supernova is a noteworthy IEM that I feel warrants more attention. It employs multiple novel tuning techniques, and the results speak for themselves both on paper and in my ears. But I don’t blame Stephen for being hesitant to enter the international market. The market is incredibly competitive nowadays at this price range even if I think the Supernova contends at the top of its price bracket. And hey, I have to admit that, in some sense, it’s exciting being one of the few in the know about a gem like this.

I did debate between a '7' and a '8' bias score. I think that the Supernova is slightly better than a lot of IEMs I've rated 7 for my preferences in the past, as I definitely prefer it to the Moondrop Variations, SA6 Ultra, and RSV which I all have for direct A/B. I suspect I'd prefer it to the IER-M9 too. The Supernova falls short, however, of some of the recent Elysian stuff I've given an '8'. I feel those IEMs have more character and 'wow' factor in comparison. That would be my main reservation with the Supernova. The tonality of the Supernova is nearly immaculate with so little to criticize; ironically, so much so that I want more ear time to err on the side of caution first. That's no worry because I've purchased my own unit. I suspect I'll just end up splitting the difference between the scores (for a '7.5') eventually.

Well crap.... ordered.

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,856 of 3,654
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,858 of 3,654
Well crap.... ordered.

Wow, you must have had a pretty big faith in Precog to blindly purchase a boutique brand based on his assessment only. Anyway, here is one clip regarding supernova from Aftersound review. Usually, his final choice for the better IEM among the compared products differs from mine due to the difference in the tonal preference and prioritized value, but his description of how a given IEM sounds is pretty spot on everytime.

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #2,859 of 3,654

Wow, you must have had a pretty big faith in Precog to blindly purchase a boutique brand based on his assessment only. Anyway, here is one clip regarding supernova from Aftersound review. Usually, his final choice for the better IEM among the compared products differs from mine due to the difference in the tonal preference and prioritized value, but his description of how a given IEM sounds is pretty spot on everytime.

When it comes to assessing techs and making comparisons to sets that I also own, I trust Precog more than anyone else.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #2,860 of 3,654
When it comes to assessing techs and making comparisons to sets that I also own, I trust Precog more than anyone else.
+1. For me that comes from owning/hearing several IEMs he’s reviewing and finding I agree on everything, though he does seem to hear more than I can. And he does seem to be one of the most sincere reviewers around; definitely appears to do his best to know what he’s talking about. It also helps that he doesn’t jump on anything for being “the next big thing” and doesn’t get caught up in hype, hid Oracle MKII review being a good example.

Pretty much he does the best job possible and does his best to understand the mechanics behind how they work. Especially when taking into account how much IEMs exist in a vacuum from the rest of these audio hobbies he does a pretty good job. Especially given that most are tuned by increasing air pressure on the driver an nothing anywhere in this particular hobby mentions that that could ruin a drivers non-frequency response related performance (I.e. almost all technicalities). That’s obviously a pet peeve of mine, especially when some of the “best” companies release fairly expensive equipment that was tuned for FR at the expense of the drivers performance. He does better with the limited information available in the IEM world than anyone else, and he actually tries his best to.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #2,861 of 3,654
I have been using the Supernova for 7 month now (unit 001 🙂), and I think Precog's description on how it sounds tonally are very close to what I am hearing.

FB_IMG_1667786372706.jpg

Tonal balance, instrumental positioning and timbral accuracy are the key strength of this unit. It's like if IER-M9 and Moondrop S8 has a child.

Compared to other IEM I had, it might lacks wow factors but, this is the unit that I always bring when I went to a meet / auditioning new stuff, because it sounds "right"

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2,862 of 3,654
I haven't been following the questions in the thread as much lately, so here's some catch-up.

HI Precog, are you going to review the VISION EARS EXT?

I'd like to, but it would probably have to be on loan from someone. I don't think they're doing any US tours. It's an interesting IEM for sure. The treble extension and upper-treble on it is enough to match the Annihilator. VE has come a long way in their EST implementations and seems to have eschewed their philosophy of rolled-off upper-treble. In fact, there's almost too much treble on the EXt from memory.

Did you review or rank the maestro se?

I heard it briefly, and it was my favorite IEM at the FatFreq booth, but I only gave it a cursory bias score. It sounds a lot like the Maestro Mini just with even cleaner (plus more) sub-bass and some slight improvements in technicalities. I might request a review unit; just not sure if I'll have the time to get around to it.

I see a Symphonium Meteor graph on your squig, are you going to share some impressions soon? If possible i would love to see comparison with Softears RSV

That unit is Super*Review's. I think the review units from Symphonium are going out sometime later this week, though, so that'll definitely get a full review when it arrives.

@Precogvision just saw your Gaea review in my email. You have finally upgraded your iPhone rig to Questyle M15 :dt880smile:

Edit: about resolution, these days I have been thinking that we (people / reviewers, etc.) might be talking about different aspects. I agree that the apparent or perceived resolution (i.e., I can hear that tiny detail) strongly dependent on tuning, as you said. If something is loud enough to hear and not masked by others, then you would be able to hear it. However, I think that each IEM configuration also has “internal” or “true” resolution, in terms of how fine-grained it can distinguish similar or overlapping sounds. Some IEMs have a lot of apparent resolution (artificially sharpening by boosting 3k, 5k, and 8k), but still overly smoothened and would falter with dense music.

Ahhh nah I'm still on the Apple dongle :sweat_smile: that was just because the cable on it came terminated in 4.4mm and I couldn't swap it.

Yeah, I don't have a concrete stance on resolution these days and I still mostly adhere to this line of thought that I posted before. Volume is another major factor. I've been listening to the Supernova, and I have to wonder if the detail I hear on it is simply because I am listening louder than usual. It is so smooth that cranking the volume is effortless. I only noticed when I went back to other sets for A/B and realized I have to significantly turn up the volume on those sets after listening to the Supernova.

@Precogvision between the PR1 Balance and PR1 HiFi, Which one do you prefer? You think they're worth the price? Quick impression?

I haven't heard those yet. Honestly, I don't think I'm interested enough to request them for review, but if someone else wants to send them to me I can give them a listen.

The main problem I have with all the recent planar IEMs on the market is that it's a race to the bottom. Who can re-make the same IEM at a cheaper price and, if we're lucky, maybe with a few small tweaks? It becomes a question of "how can we cut costs more" and "how can we make our production more efficient" rather than "how can we push the envelope and do something new?". Asking these questions are somewhat beneficial to the consumer, but as a reviewer, it's incredibly boring writing about what is more or less the same IEM five times over. A similar principle applies to most of Chi-Fi in general. It's detrimental to innovation and perpetuates hype train cycles. Something else I'll point out is that when everyone pumps out the same IEM that "punches above it's price" then, technically, none of them punch above their price anymore :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #2,863 of 3,654
Volume is another major factor. I've been listening to the Supernova, and I have to wonder if the detail I hear on it is simply because I am listening louder than usual.

Agree on the volume! I am reviewing a new set from Fiio called JD7. (harman-ish with slightly rounded 3k and controlled dip at 5-6k). The midrange is decently forward due to Harman but it’s so smooth that I can turn up the volume just a touch, thus I hear more micro details across the spectrum than Blessing 2, even though if I listen very carefully, its raw resolution (note separation) is not outstanding.

So it begs the question: which one has higher resolution? An average driver that makes it easier to hear everything that it can distinguish/separate or a high-end one that separate/distinguish way more fine details but you need to twist your ears to hear?

Nov 7, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2,864 of 3,654
Volume is another major factor. I've been listening to the Supernova, and I have to wonder if the detail I hear on it is simply because I am listening louder than usual. It is so smooth that cranking the volume is effortless. I only noticed when I went back to other sets for A/B and realized I have to significantly turn up the volume on those sets after listening to the Supernova.
Does the perception of increased detail only occur on tracks with high dynamic range? I feel that taking DR into account would be the most straightforward means of differentiating detail perceived simply due to a sound reaching audible thresholds from detail heard due to it not being masked away by other sounds. If one hypothetically wanted to try A/B'ing, they might compare two masters of the same track with different levels of DR compression or even apply DR compression to a test track themselves.

Personally, I haven't had trouble hearing elements associated with fine detail at moderate volumes with headphones like the HE1000V2 that are associated with being detailed, so I'm kind of skeptical about loudness mattering beyond a certain easy-to-reach threshold. If gear sounds too peaky to be turned up to a point where such detail can be heard, I'd categorize that as it being less detailed due to FR unevenness, and IEMs do often just let that 6-10 kHz canal peak hang there without accounting for it in the tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #2,865 of 3,654

supernova2.jpg

graph (5).png

Don't do this to me... I just bought the RSV and SA6 Ultra :upside_down:

Curious, what volume do you test/listen at? I ask because the Variations and Oracle MK2 are A+ IEMs for me mid volume (<75db), but when I crank it up (~80db+) they get too spicy for me and my ears starts ringing after 30 minutes or so; this doesn't happen with darker sets like EJ07 or Dark Magician - I'd consider them TOTL for high volume. Would your ranking of an IEM change based off volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back