Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 26, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,521 of 3,654
After owning the u12t for a while I'm realising that a large part of its sense of macro-dynamics comes from its upper treble. Switching from the m15 to the m20 module kills dynamics quite a bit IMO, despite giving bigger bass.
For my A12t I'm currently using the Fir Audio Yellow Atom module (17db isolation) along with 64 Audio Silver cable which seems to lift the mid range. I don't seem to be losing any dynamics and staging but have much more weight on the low end. It's a been a great set of modifications for me.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,522 of 3,654
You rank S12 higher than U12t (in your signature)? That’s a high praise.

I've had the U12t for a couple of months, and the S12 since it came out (I was one of the first to buy it).
I find the U12t quite bland and boring. I only listen to progressive rock and metal, and I tend to like fun profiles and especially with a DD bass. The U12t is very good technically, but it didn't mean anything to me emotionally.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #2,523 of 3,654
I've had the U12t for a couple of months, and the S12 since it came out (I was one of the first to buy it).
I find the U12t quite bland and boring. I only listen to progressive rock and metal, and I tend to like fun profiles and especially with a DD bass. The U12t is very good technically, but it didn't mean anything to me emotionally.
Try the Softears RSV if you have the chance,
it's a beast for metal, and if you like it LOUD !!!

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #2,524 of 3,654
Truthear x Crinacle Zero Impressions

Configuration: 2DD
Price: $50
Unit kindly provided for review by @shenzhenaudio:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/truthear-zero-earphone-dual-dynamic-drivers-pu-lcp-composite-diaphragm-in-ear-headphone

truthearzero1-2.jpg

graph (8).png

The Zero is more or less a good illustration of both my praises and my reservations with the Harman in-ear target.

The bass response of the Zero is its calling card; there are few IEMs at this price point with a bass shelf as impactful yet adequately controlled. Regarding the minor sub-bass roll-off observed under ~30Hz, this is mostly a non-issue in practice. In fact, it's rare for me to hear an IEM that does not extend adequately, and it should be noted that most music does not even token lower than 30Hz. That in mind, I mostly hear this roll-off as subtly increasing perception of the 60-100Hz frequencies. This makes the Zero's bass sound inflated and slightly dampened for a sense of leading slam; it's a more impactful bass response where it sounds like air is being pushed. Basslines on the Zero are also somewhat messy to me (it sounds like kick drums with a longer decay bloom into one another), likely partially due to the absence of the characteristic 200Hz notch seen on the Harman over-ear target. But I'd say this is decent bass overall for $50; it sounds like an average DD with a good tuning.

Moving upwards, the Zero adheres more closely to the Harman in-ear target. Unfortunately, this is also where my main issues with the target actually crop up. The target has slightly too much presence in the 3-4kHz region for my HRTF, begetting a sense of forwardness to female vocals. The subsequent lack of energy to the upper-treble lends to a gritty decay which is made more apparent by said forwardness in the upper-midrange. This is more or less the effect that I hear going on with the Zero. Female vocal are slightly too shouty, too raspy for my tastes (and yes, the lack of upper-treble does affect the timbre of vocals). The Zero's lower-treble falls into the same vein of "slightly excessive" as the upper-midrange. It's gritty and somewhat clack-y; it doesn't fly with tracks like Brett Young's "Here Tonight" where you have a combination of kick drums, electric guitars, and cymbals crashing. It all just starts becoming a blurred cacophony of too much crunch, too much reverb, and not enough staging. The treble issues also become more apparent on brighter sections of tracks that don't have a bassline to balance out the 5kHz emphasis; of course, this perception is exacerbated by the lack of air over 10kHz.

Overall, I hear the Zero's presentation as coming across as mildly V-shaped. It's decently fun, decently balanced, but also not quite there in the tuning department for my preferences. For a sense of technical performance, I likewise find the Zero to be mostly average, but that's par for the course at this price point - in fact, some would say it's almost desirable. Some brief comparisons to similarly priced IEMs:
  • CCA CRA+: the Zero doesn't touch this IEM for a sense of clarity or treble extension, but the Zero's bass is more focused, impactful, and the general frequency response is more palatable.
  • Moondrop Chu: I don't really like the Chu at all even if its tuning will likely appeal to listeners who want a leaner, brighter sound. I prefer the Zero obviously.
  • Tripowin Mele: from memory, this is darker and more muddied. I would go for the Zero.
I've really gotten into the nitty-gritty over a $50 IEM, so I should answer the question you're probably really wondering about: should I buy the Zero? If you're someone who goes by the measurements, then I think so. But even if you're someone who doesn't index as heavily for measurements, I'd say the Zero is still a solid buy at $50. Sure, you might be able to find some OG Galaxy Buds for this price (I saw some on eBay at one point), which sound better to me and offer the benefit of hands-free listening, but they're technically discontinued.

Bias Score: 4.5/10

All critical listening was done off my iPhone 13 Mini and iBasso DX300 with the stock ear tips.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #2,525 of 3,654
Try the Softears RSV if you have the chance,
it's a beast for metal, and if you like it LOUD !!!
But the RSV doesn't have a DD for bass either, like the U12t...

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #2,526 of 3,654
You should try the Fh9.
I say that and I say nothing... 😉

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #2,527 of 3,654
But the RSV doesn't have a DD for bass either, like the U12t...
You want loud metal? E5000 with a powerful amp is the way to go, at least for me. I have yet to hear similar thunderous kick drums on any IEM, maybe besides Trio.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #2,528 of 3,654
You should try the Fh9.
I say that and I say nothing... 😉
I will try :smile:
You want loud metal? E5000 with a powerful amp is the way to go, at least for me. I have yet to hear similar thunderous kick drums on any IEM, maybe besides Trio.
The E5000 is too warm for me taste. I like the bass, but I like the treble even more

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #2,529 of 3,654
The E5000 is too warm for me taste. I like the bass, but I like the treble even more

That’s why you need to turn up the volume. That IEM has no piercing peaks anywhere, so you can go loud. And when you go loud, treble details pop out. That micro driver is quite competent with treble. Midrange is above aria but below Blessing 2.

Anyhow, you should try FH9. No point to go after an ancient IEM in this day and age.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #2,531 of 3,654

Have you tried the Trió? I think it is for your taste

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #2,532 of 3,654
Have you tried the Trió? I think it is for your taste
No, I have not tried it, and yes, it is one of the IEMs that most attracts me, if not the most, currently.

But "testing it" is going to be very complicated for me. In Europe it is difficult and especially expensive to get a 64audio, and very few people have one, even more to find someone who has it and let me try it. And a "blind" purchase of something so expensive does not appeal to me today.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #2,533 of 3,654

Then the answer is Z1R superb bass and wonderful treble

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,535 of 3,654
Then the answer is Z1R superb bass and wonderful treble

I have tried the Z1R, not my cup of tea. I tested it a year ago and still am looking for the mids, and the treble was too spicy for many of my music (metal from the 80's).

I think you might love itsfit lab fusion (custom version, more bass and treble more smooth compare to universal). Perfect for metal and rock. But the mid is super dry.

I didn't really like the Fusion. I had the universal version for a couple of weeks and it didn't tell me anything special. Precisely the treble I noticed too relaxed in this case, so I would not look for something with even softer treble at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back