Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #1,261 of 3,654
Had to take a family photo while I still have all these...

IMG_1021.jpg

Just to be clear, most of these do not belong to me haha. The (2) Oriolus Isabellaes, Hidition NT6, Hidition Waltz, Hidition Violet, Elysian Annihilator, Vision Ears VE8, qdc Anole VX, Anole V14, Sony IER-Z1R, Oriolus Traillii, and one of the 64A U12ts all belong to a reader. The Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra, and Tanchjim Hana 2021 are MRS's. The 64A U6t is a headphone.com review unit. The Andromeda 2020, Moondrop B2, and other 64A U12t are mine. For better or worse, I don't actually own too many IEMs because I'm so picky. Not pictured: UM MEST (TylersEclectic's), MEST MK2 (Antdroid's), LX SE (reader's), and various budget IEMs I have lying around.
Nice flex. Now we should combine our IEM’s to match that other crazy dude 😄

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,262 of 3,654

Just to be clear, most of these do not belong to me haha. The (2) Oriolus Isabellaes, Hidition NT6, Hidition Waltz, Hidition Violet, Elysian Annihilator, Vision Ears VE8, qdc Anole VX, Anole V14, Sony IER-Z1R, Oriolus Traillii, and one of the 64A U12ts all belong to a reader. The Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra, and Tanchjim Hana 2021 are MRS's. The 64A U6t is a headphone.com review unit. The Andromeda 2020, Moondrop B2, and other 64A U12t are mine. For better or worse, I don't actually own too many IEMs because I'm so picky. Not pictured: UM MEST (TylersEclectic's), MEST MK2 (Antdroid's), LX SE (reader's), and various budget IEMs I have lying around.
QDC 8SL/8SH/8SS and Gemini when XD

Is that spinfit cp145 with your U12T? For some reason I don't really like the spinfits with U12T, it makes vocals sound thin (though im glad it makes the upper mids more forward and emphasized because I wouldn't want it to be cut any further on U12T). I usually go for the wide bore ones like normal sedna (weakness is that it emphasizes the treble peaks) or sedna crystal standard.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,263 of 3,654
That beauty!
If they didn't cost as much as they cost ...
You need to hold on this menu for as long as you can, your future will thank you.

I gave in a long time ago
Nice flex. Now we should combine our IEM’s to match that other crazy dude 😄
Damien, you are not allowed to invoke yourself lest the universe implode!

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,264 of 3,654
Of course, that's what it's about.

Here is another example. For me, the bass of the Mest is the best, in quality, that I have tried so far.
The MEST OG has least bass of all of my best monitors. You probably prefer a more neutral bass tuning. I prefer elevated bass.

Today, I was listening to violin concertos with the TT2 and A/B/C testing the MEST OG/ Odin and Traillii. MEST came out on top. Odin second and Traillii third with this source and genre. When I switched to John Williams sound tracks, the best sound changed depending on whether bass texture, coherence or sound stage/ treble air was most important for the given track. So preference could be based on music genre.

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,265 of 3,654
The MEST OG has least bass of all of my best monitors. You probably prefer a more neutral bass tuning. I prefer elevated bass.

Today, I was listening to violin concertos with the TT2 and A/B/C testing the MEST OG/ Odin and Traillii. MEST came out on top. Odin second and Traillii third with this source and genre. When I switched to John Williams sound tracks, the best sound changed depending on whether bass texture, coherence or sound stage/ treble air was most important for the given track. So preference could be based on music genre.
What is the best in your collection for some Heavy Metal genre ?
What do you think is the preferred tuning for this genre ?
thank you, 🙏

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,266 of 3,654
What is the best in your collection for some Heavy Metal genre ?
What do you think is the preferred tuning for this genre ?
thank you, 🙏
I only listen hard rock, metal and progressive, and for me the best IEM I have listened is Mest. Clairvoyance is good too if you like more bass, but the Mest have the exact quantity of bass I like, and much better quality.
I have an audition with the Oriolus Isabellae last weekend and I liked it so much too. Maybe the best after the Mest. I think I will buy it soon.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,267 of 3,654

IMG_1021.jpg

I think the NT6 and Waltz were mine... I sent them out a few weeks ago ☺️.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,273 of 3,654
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,274 of 3,654

GS Audio SE11 Impressions​

No knowledge of the graph:

Balanced, neutral-ish tuning. If this has a dynamic driver, it’s some really weak sauce. Bass is above 1kHz by about 7dB at its highest point - using Moondrop Blessing 2 as a reference. Less grit in the midrange than the Blessing 2, pretty clean timbre if this is BA. Upper-midrange and pinna compensation are more relaxed than the Blessing 2, and I also hear slightly more warmth down in the lower-midrange. Treble has a lower emphasis - bump at 5kHz, or 6kHz, perhaps? Percussive hits come across as quite heavy, but sound somewhat compressed. Extension is decent, but nothing special. Pretty good overall.

Post-knowledge of the graph:

graph-12.png

So the SE11 does have a dynamic driver. Whoops. In retrospect, I probably should’ve been able to tell from the slight flex anyways. But you already know what I’m going to say then: it sucks. The SE11’s bass leans toward the quicker side and it’s largely textureless (seriously, it has less texture than the B2 in A/B). Expectedly, it also has zero slam. I know I sound like a broken record, but why is good bass so hard to find these days? The SE11's bass literally sounds more BA than it does DD. Indeed, if this works for any reason, it’s only because the SE11’s bass sounds so much like a BA that it matches the SE11’s midrange pretty closely in terms of coherency!

Fortunately, the midrange is the SE11’s standout. The SE11 sports a gentle shelf in the lower-midrange regions, lending to a hint of warmth but aptly avoiding bloat. This is followed by a controlled rise to the pinna compensation that peaks moderately, and a gentle slope off of that. Tonally, I don’t really have any bones to pick with this midrange and note-weight is right about where I'd like it. Intangibly, the BAs being used here are pretty decent too. Midrange decay is by no means gritty; in fact, I’d say it leans smoother than it does etched. I do hear some upwards-compression, but not to the same degree as the MEST I have on-hand. Suffice it to say the SE11 passes the Taeyeon test admirably.

Treble on the SE11 graphs somewhat questionably, but I wouldn’t really read too much into the graph in this instance. A quick sine sweep reveals there is strong amplitude at 6-7kHz which explains the heavy amounts of percussive impact I hear. I hear a minor recession after that, and then it peaks again at around 12-13kHz and carries through with decent amplitude to 16kHz. I do feel that it’s lacking in the final octaves of extension, but presence up until that point is good. When we're talking lower-treble, something like the Sony IER-Z1R also comes to mind, but the SE11's treble response is way quicker. Consequently, the SE11 doesn’t have that same sense of physicality or beautiful trailing reverb; the SE11’s treble can get somewhat overbearing to hear on quicker, treble-intensive tracks. But this is pretty OK overall in my book.

Technicalities on the SE11 are certainly not bad. Midrange macro-detail, in particular, is above average and devoid of the edgy transients or upper-midrange overload so many performers in this department succumb to. The heavy tilt to lower-treble further aids perception of surface-level detail. Speed on the SE11 is pretty quick, definitely faster than the Moondrop B2, so I’d say you’re looking at around at least “A” grade technicalities overall. Comparison to the real heavy-hitters in the detail department like the U12t does make clear that micro-detail and nuance is lacking; however, that’s to be expected. Imaging and dynamics are also not worthy of further exploration, but again: expected.

I have to admit that I was skeptical when I heard about this brand. It seems like there’s a new Aliexpress special being hyped every week, and I can guarantee that the vast majority of them sound mediocre (to my ears, of course). In this vein, make no mistake: I think there are more refined IEMs than the SE11 for less. This isn't going to take down (or play with) any of the kilobuck gatekeepers. But while I can’t speak for GS Audio’s plethora of other models, the SE11 has at least cleared the bar of mediocrity; in fact, it’s gone decently far beyond it in my book.

Score: 6/10

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,275 of 3,654

GS Audio SE11 Impressions​

No knowledge of the graph:

Balanced, neutral-ish tuning. If this has a dynamic driver, it’s some really weak sauce. Bass is above 1kHz by about 7dB at its highest point - using Moondrop Blessing 2 as a reference. Less grit in the midrange than the Blessing 2, pretty clean timbre if this is BA. Upper-midrange and pinna compensation are more relaxed than the Blessing 2, and I also hear slightly more warmth down in the lower-midrange. Treble has a lower emphasis - bump at 5kHz, or 6kHz, perhaps? Percussive hits come across as quite heavy, but sound somewhat compressed. Extension is decent, but nothing special. Pretty good overall.

Post-knowledge of the graph:

graph-12.png

So the SE11 does have a dynamic driver. Whoops. In retrospect, I probably should’ve been able to tell from the slight flex anyways. But you already know what I’m going to say then: it sucks. The SE11’s bass leans toward the quicker side and it’s largely textureless (seriously, it has less texture than the B2 in A/B). Expectedly, it also has zero slam. I know I sound like a broken record, but why is good bass so hard to find these days? The SE11's bass literally sounds more BA than it does DD. Indeed, if this works for any reason, it’s only because the SE11’s bass sounds so much like a BA that it matches the SE11’s midrange pretty closely in terms of coherency!

Fortunately, the midrange is the SE11’s standout. The SE11 sports a gentle shelf in the lower-midrange regions, lending to a hint of warmth but aptly avoiding bloat. This is followed by a controlled rise to the pinna compensation that peaks moderately, and a gentle slope off of that. Tonally, I don’t really have any bones to pick with this midrange and note-weight is right about where I'd like it. Intangibly, the BAs being used here are pretty decent too. Midrange decay is by no means gritty; in fact, I’d say it leans smoother than it does etched. I do hear some upwards-compression, but not to the same degree as the MEST I have on-hand. Suffice it to say the SE11 passes the Taeyeon test admirably.

Treble on the SE11 graphs somewhat questionably, but I wouldn’t really read too much into the graph in this instance. A quick sine sweep reveals there is strong amplitude at 6-7kHz which explains the heavy amounts of percussive impact I hear. I hear a minor recession after that, and then it peaks again at around 12-13kHz and carries through with decent amplitude to 16kHz. I do feel that it’s lacking in the final octaves of extension, but presence up until that point is good. When we're talking lower-treble, something like the Sony IER-Z1R also comes to mind, but the SE11's treble response is way quicker. Consequently, the SE11 doesn’t have that same sense of physicality or beautiful trailing reverb; the SE11’s treble can get somewhat overbearing to hear on quicker, treble-intensive tracks. But this is pretty OK overall in my book.

Technicalities on the SE11 are certainly not bad. Midrange macro-detail, in particular, is above average and devoid of the edgy transients or upper-midrange overload so many performers in this department succumb to. The heavy tilt to lower-treble further aids perception of surface-level detail. Speed on the SE11 is pretty quick, definitely faster than the Moondrop B2, so I’d say you’re looking at around at least “A” grade technicalities overall. Comparison to the real heavy-hitters in the detail department like the U12t does make clear that micro-detail and nuance is lacking; however, that’s to be expected. Imaging and dynamics are also not worthy of further exploration, but again: expected.

I have to admit that I was skeptical when I heard about this brand. It seems like there’s a new Aliexpress special being hyped every week, and I can guarantee that the vast majority of them sound mediocre (to my ears, of course). In this vein, make no mistake: I think there are more refined IEMs than the SE11 for less. This isn't going to take down (or play with) any of the kilobuck gatekeepers. But while I can’t speak for GS Audio’s plethora of other models, the SE11 has at least cleared the bar of mediocrity; in fact, it’s gone decently far beyond it in my book.

Score: 6/10
I also confirm that the DD they are using (likely to be the same across all their iems with it) is definitely more like a BA than a DD. Guessing that they opted to make the DD like a BA instead of the BA like a DD to maximize coherency. :joy:
(which is actually the only brand I have heard that does something like this.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back