Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,247 of 3,654
Me too had mixed feelings about MEST MKII.... until I changed the cable. It is very odd to think that a 560$ cable specifically chosen by UM is not perfectly fitting the IEM, but it's what I'm hearing. I still have to decide which cable in my inventory is best for the MEST MKII, but now I'm hearing better bass and above all much better mids with a very cheap 50$ cable, even if unfortunately with less refined highs.

graph (23).png

Higher impedance makes the MEST MK2 more bassy and less detailed in the treble. I can't really attest to sonic changes with cables, but the MEST MK2's cable supposedly also has higher impedance.

Nice. This was mine. Real tough to let go.

Haha, I was wondering why they showed up boxed within another box. I also wouldn't want to let these go if I owned them.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,248 of 3,654
I prefer Mest Mk2 over Mest Mk1 because its smoother, and has better bass quality. I do think the MK1 has better imaging, stage presentation, and wow factor.
That said, the MK1 CIEM is really the best of both worlds, though leans much closer to the presentation of the MK2. I think those who like big bass impact can get it with higher impedance -- i just remember being extremely wow'd by its bass response, but then realized i was using a high impedance set of cables... :D

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,249 of 3,654
graph (23).png

Higher impedance makes the MEST MK2 more bassy and less detailed in the treble. I can't really attest to sonic changes with cables, but the MEST MK2's cable supposedly also has higher impedance.

Haha, I was wondering why they showed up boxed within another box. I also wouldn't want to let these go if I owned them.
LOL. Another headfi'r I bought from mentioned carriers damaging boxes. Sending a 2k IEM I wanted to make sure they made it safe. I'm pretty ocd in general with packaging but 2 boxes and a cardboard guard should do it. 😋

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,250 of 3,654
I prefer Mest Mk2 over Mest Mk1 because its smoother, and has better bass quality. I do think the MK1 has better imaging, stage presentation, and wow factor.
That said, the MK1 CIEM is really the best of both worlds, though leans much closer to the presentation of the MK2. I think those who like big bass impact can get it with higher impedance -- i just remember being extremely wow'd by its bass response, but then realized i was using a high impedance set of cables... :D
can you share the link for the high impedance cable?
thank you, 🙏

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,251 of 3,654
can you share the link for the high impedance cable?
thank you, 🙏
it was a series of long cables used over a distance which created high impedance over the length

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,252 of 3,654
graph (23).png

umh... if I'm reading the graph correctly, to have a significant difference you'll need a cable with at least a couple ohms.... nope, can assure not my case.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #1,253 of 3,654
I don't think there is a 20 ohm impedance cable.
Even to have 2.7 ohm impedance it should already be many meters long.

The only viable way to test these changes is with adapters, or with sources with outputs with those impedances.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,255 of 3,654
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,256 of 3,654
I don't think there is a 20 ohm impedance cable.
Even to have 2.7 ohm impedance it should already be many meters long.

The only viable way to test these changes is with adapters, or with sources with outputs with those impedances.
I have a 20 ohm impedance adapter I bought to try with my Monarchs. I tried them with the MEST and I didn't like it. I just tried it again to see if I would like it the second time. I definitely don't like it. It moderately raises the bass, but it takes away a lot of sound stage which is what makes the MEST special.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,257 of 3,654
I have a 20 ohm impedance adapter I bought to try with my Monarchs. I tried them with the MEST and I didn't like it. I just tried it again to see if I would like it the second time. I definitely don't like it. It moderately raises the bass, but it takes away a lot of sound stage which is what makes the MEST special.
I have it too, and I don’t like it with the Mest or the Clairvoyance.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,258 of 3,654
yea, i wouldnt use 20 ohm. maybe something like the iFi IEMatch or Ear Buddy for very small subtle change (its roughly 2.7-3 ohm).

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,259 of 3,654
Had to take a family photo while I still have all these...

IMG_1021.jpg

Just to be clear, most of these do not belong to me haha. The (2) Oriolus Isabellaes, Hidition NT6, Hidition Waltz, Hidition Violet, Elysian Annihilator, Vision Ears VE8, qdc Anole VX, Anole V14, Sony IER-Z1R, Oriolus Traillii, and one of the 64A U12ts all belong to a reader. The Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra, and Tanchjim Hana 2021 are MRS's. The 64A U6t is a headphone.com review unit. The Andromeda 2020, Moondrop B2, and other 64A U12t are mine. For better or worse, I don't actually own too many IEMs because I'm so picky. Not pictured: UM MEST (TylersEclectic's), MEST MK2 (Antdroid's), LX SE (reader's), and various budget IEMs I have lying around.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,260 of 3,654
Had to take a family photo while I still have all these...

IMG_1021.jpg

Just to be clear, most of these do not belong to me haha. The (2) Oriolus Isabellaes, Hidition NT6, Hidition Waltz, Hidition Violet, Elysian Annihilator, Vision Ears VE8, qdc Anole VX, Anole V14, Sony IER-Z1R, Oriolus Traillii, and one of the 64A U12ts all belong to a reader. The Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra, and Tanchjim Hana 2021 are MRS's. The 64A U6t is a headphone.com review unit. The Andromeda 2020, Moondrop B2, and other 64A U12t are mine. For better or worse, I don't actually own too many IEMs because I'm so picky. Not pictured: UM MEST (TylersEclectic's), MEST MK2 (Antdroid's), LX SE (reader's), and various budget IEMs I have lying around.
From that photo I think I would steal you the Elysian Annihilator.
Or maybe I would start looking for the Legend X SE ...

I am also a man of few IEMs. But after trying the Isabellae they are calling me a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back