Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 27, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #106 of 3,654
One question, if he has the ability to test with many daps why not? Twister6 has and so does headphones.com . Don’t consistency me, if you’re reviewing headphones so that people read and take your advices let me tell you that a guy willing to buy a 2000$+ iem surely has no intention of using it with a 300$ dap in chain(most of the time). Reviewing mid level gear with mid level source and high end gear with high level source seems pretty reasonable to me if “you have the ability to do it” . I’m not asking anyone to buy 2000$+ daps just for review purposes. If it’s available to you why not?

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #107 of 3,654
One question, if he has the ability to test with many daps why not? Twister6 has and so does headphones.com
There are certain view to this imo. One faction thinking it's not that important due to the fact that you are reviewing the transducer itself. The other thinks the whole chain makes a huge impact.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #108 of 3,654
As per my ears it definitely does have an impact on the chain, not 50% maybe but can easily say worth the price difference considering people in this hobby go to all lengths to feel that little difference.

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #109 of 3,654
My 2c on the matter:

If one is reviewing the IEM, then it only stands to reason that the subject to be reviewed is the IEM, not the combo. A good reference source is one that removes itself from the equation.

(Of course, in terms of personal enjoyment it is the combo that matters the most. But as a reviewer, there needs to be at least some degree of separation going on.)

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #111 of 3,654
Still i wonder , if you're unable to demo a 2000$+ iem and want to blind buy it, would you be interested in it's performance with sp2000 or dx160? I still think that iems should be coupled with same tier of sources in reviews. For the sake of the buyer.

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #112 of 3,654
While it may be useful to know how an IEM sounds with a range of DAPs (i.e., scalability), I’m all for consistency of source across a range of IEMs in reviews of IEMs. It gives more of an apples with apples comparison.

As a corollary argument, are there complaints about reviewers of $20-$100 chi-fi IEMs when using $1k-1.5k DAPs? Not that I’ve ever seen.

And just to add, this is clearly a cognitive choice that’s been made and the reviewers style. Kudos for sticking to principle.

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #113 of 3,654
Still i wonder , if you're unable to demo a 2000$+ iem and want to blind buy it, would you be interested in it's performance with sp2000 or dx160? I still think that iems should be coupled with same tier of sources in reviews. For the sake of the buyer.

Wholeheartedly agree that as a buyer you may want to know how an IEM works with different DAPs (and cables and tips etc). But the onus is also on the buyer to read as many or as few reviews and impressions as they feel necessary in order to make an informed decision. Caveat emptor

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #114 of 3,654
I give up, it's a matter of preference and some prefers to do it with a single dap and other prefers with multiple daps from entry level to enthusiast level, it was just a suggestion from my side so as a reader i would get more from precogvisions reviews. I can only suggest and ask.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #115 of 3,654
I give up, it's a matter of preference and some prefers to do it with a single dap and other prefers with multiple daps from entry level to enthusiast level, it was just a suggestion from my side so as a reader i would get more from precogvisions reviews. I can only suggest and ask.
You have to take into consideration that IF you are using multiple sources for an iem and it sounds bad on one source and really good on another. Is it the source´s fault or the iem for being bad? Should you blame the iem for being "picky" or the source for not being versatile enough?

If you use one single source across a majority of your reviews, you wont need to think about that as much AND it makes your reviews more consistent towards each other.

Example 1:
Scenario 1: Using X iem and A source, sounds great.

Scenario 2: Using Y iem and B source, sounds bad.

Result: Is it Y iem or B source that is bad?

Example 2:

Scenario 3: Using X iem and A source, sounds great.

Scenario 4: Using Y iem and A source, sounds bad.

Result: Y is the reason why scenario 4 sounds bad.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #116 of 3,654
So we have to consider dx160 is the best source for all iems as per your theory, why is that? Not sarcasm, asking for real. Why not dx220 ?
Btw my theory is

Scenario 1: Using X iem and A and B source, sounds great.

Scenario 2: Using Y iem and A and B source, sounds bad.

Result: Multiple consistent sources.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #117 of 3,654
Btw 90% of reviewers are doing what i said, and precogvision has the ability to enjoy headphones.com demo sets, that's why i asked if he can do it, i am not demanding he buys anything, I am not ruthless.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #118 of 3,654
So we have to consider dx160 is the best source for all iems as per your theory, why is that? Not sarcasm, asking for real. Why not dx220 ?
Btw my theory is

Scenario 1: Using X iem and A and B source, sounds great.

Scenario 2: Using Y iem and A and B source, sounds bad.

Result: Multiple consistent sources.
The DX160 is quite a bit cheaper so its more accessible for more people. But yes, if a reviewer has access to multiple sources then sure, but it does take quite a lot of time to write reviews and even more so if you want to add multiple sources into it, so to demand that from precog isnt very fair I think.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #119 of 3,654
One question, if he has the ability to test with many daps why not? Twister6 has and so does headphones.com . Don’t consistency me, if you’re reviewing headphones so that people read and take your advices let me tell you that a guy willing to buy a 2000$+ iem surely has no intention of using it with a 300$ dap in chain(most of the time). Reviewing mid level gear with mid level source and high end gear with high level source seems pretty reasonable to me if “you have the ability to do it” . I’m not asking anyone to buy 2000$+ daps just for review purposes. If it’s available to you why not?
1. No one has to take "advice" from a reviewer, nor is a reviewer obligated to change their process at the whim of the readers. At the end of the day reviews are the opinion of one person. They can do whatever they want. If you don't like it, go find another reviewer.

2. Consistency, I know you don't like it. But a lot of us do prefer a point of reference that we can actually refer to that the review will have around on a permanent basis, which unlike review models will have to be returned after some time period. Pointless if the Blon 03 is tested with the Sp2k only to not have it for say Odin off the DX150 or inversely.

Tl:dr The onus is on you to determine if you'll like the setup, not the reviewer catering to what you want them to try.

Also please stop pulling numbers out of thin air with no empirical evidence.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #120 of 3,654
Are you still on my 256 daps reference? Can’t you figure a joke when you see one? I just pointed what I like in a review, I’m not the authority for reviewers and to tell them what to do. I read as many reviews as I can and I’m not criticizing his reviews, just pointed what I would like to see, there is nothing to be offended. And the point you’re missing is reviewing everything with dx160 is consistent as much as reviewing everything with dx160+Sp2000+r8 or whatever as long as the setup is same all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back