Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #2,626 of 3,654
Hey everyone, also a quick update because I know I've been more quiet in the thread lately!

I'm pleased to say that I'll be starting another job next week that's unrelated to audio. I've landed a full-time role in healthcare data consulting after much stress: partially from all the recent hiring freezes and layoffs here, partially from realizing how difficult it is landing an entry-level role fresh out of college, and partially from realizing technical interviews are not my strong suit haha. Anyways, it's a massive weight off my shoulders knowing that the hard part is over (and that it's a remote role), even if my time will be occupied as I learn the ropes. I'll be continuing to work with Headphones.com as usual, just know that I might not have the time to engage in the hobby like I have in the past.

Moving back to audio, I think the next big thing for me will be CanJam SoCal 2022 in a few weeks. I'm expecting that the turnout is going to be pretty good this year which'll definitely be exciting. I'm looking forward to meeting faces new and old and, of course, checking out some of the gear that's slipped through my ears. My Elysian Diva also has finally shipped (and I actually have a tracking number), so fingers-crossed that it arrives next week! :D

The pic I was sent by Lee of Elysian:

diva.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #2,627 of 3,654
Hey everyone, also a quick update because I know I've been more quiet in the thread lately!

I'm pleased to say that I'll be starting another job next week that's unrelated to audio. I've landed a full-time role in healthcare data consulting after much stress: partially from all the recent hiring freezes and layoffs here, partially from realizing how difficult it is landing an entry-level role fresh out of college, and partially from realizing technical interviews are not my strong suit haha. Anyways, it's a massive weight off my shoulders knowing that the hard part is over (and that it's a remote role), even if my time will be occupied as I learn the ropes. I'll be continuing to work with Headphones.com as usual, just know that I might not have the time to engage in the hobby like I have in the past.

Moving back to audio, I think the next big thing for me will be CanJam SoCal 2022 in a few weeks. I'm expecting that the turnout is going to be pretty good this year which'll definitely be exciting. I'm looking forward to meeting faces new and old and, of course, checking out some of the gear that's slipped through my ears. My Elysian Diva also has finally shipped (and I actually have a tracking number), so fingers-crossed that it arrives next week! :D

Congratulations and good luck! Balancing work, personal life and rewiews can be stressfull, but I'm sure you going to manage. It gets better once you are comfortable about your role, so don't stress it out in the first months. Do what I say, not what I did I guess 😂

And congratz on Diva, looks stunning!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #2,628 of 3,654

DIVA-0001? 🤔

Congratulations (for the Diva and of course for the new job) 👏👏👏

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,629 of 3,654

Congrats and good luck mate! Nice IEM too. Thanks for spending time to answer my question about the Helios as well.

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2,630 of 3,654

diva.jpg
Congratulations on your new job!

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #2,631 of 3,654

diva.jpg
Congrats dude on both the job and the IEM. :) I'm glad your Diva finally shipped. :)

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,632 of 3,654

Congratulations Theo! You have been an invaluable help to so many of us. There are so many voices in this hobby, many of which pull us towards unreasonable purchases. You have been a proponent of clear thinking and have never hesitated to ‘tell it how you heard it’. Even if you have to dial it back very significantly, pls know you are highly, highly valued here and very much loved. We are your peeps. Hope to see you at CanJam!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,633 of 3,654
Can just see it now:

"hmmm, your heart beat goes deep, but it's muddy in between beats. Your ECG graph looks a bit wonky. Atrial rate looks ok, but man, ventricular rhythm is all over the place. I can't make out any P waves either. I'm afraid I'm gonna give you a 3/10."

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,634 of 3,654

Congrats on the new job in what must be a very difficult market right now! I’ve always enjoyed reading your reviews and opinions and respect the way you cut through the bull, so please don’t be a stranger :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,635 of 3,654

If you don't mind me asking, which data-related technical skills did the job ask for and tested you on?

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,636 of 3,654
If you don't mind me asking, which data-related technical skills did the job ask for and tested you on?

Hmm, the job description stated things like statistical modeling, deep learning, machine learning, and a bunch of languages and BI tools. But what I actually ended up being tested on was (thankfully) a lot more basic:
  • First round was SQL and writing several queries. I'd say they were somewhere around basic-intermediate level in terms of the difficulty based on the HackerRank questions I've practiced with. I think the org is phasing out SAS, or there are a lot of people using it already in the org. You can use SQL directly in SAS anyways, so I guess they mostly index for SQL.
  • Next round was Tableau and constructing visualizations, using calculated fields, functions, etc. for five questions. Pretty straightforward until the last two questions. Second to last question wanted a fixed LOD. Last question, I had to create a basic algorithm to filter customers who had purchased product in certain years and didn't in others.
  • Third round was a case study where I could use any tool (I used Tableau) to answer a series of questions. These questions were more analysis based like "what could explain the dramatic rise in X in 2021" instead of "hey, create this visualization" or "pull this data". One panel member also threw me a curveball question unrelated to the case study, asking me how I would estimate the # of EVs in the US and how I would project future growth. Basically a test of how well I thought on my feet.
I actually barely passed the first two rounds. So I think what really got me the job were my answers on the third round and the final round, the behavioral interview. On the behavioral interview, I pulled in my experience with my (super basic) ML project for my internship and emphasized adaptability to picking up new tools (eg. Power BI) even though I had no prior experience with them. I also talked about giving presentations to leadership, proposing ideas, and my work with Headphones.com on the YT channel which they were interested in. Lots of STAR method and keeping concrete work examples in mind. I asked my own questions to turn it into more of a conversation by the end, which I felt much more comfortable with. My takeaway from this experience is that there's definitely a minimum bar for technical skills in entry-level data roles, but being a strong communicator and illustrating how you think is more important, especially because interviewers expect you not to know much fresh out of college.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2,637 of 3,654
Hmm, the job description stated things like statistical modeling, deep learning, machine learning, and a bunch of languages and BI tools. But what I actually ended up being tested on was (thankfully) a lot more basic:
  • First round was SQL and writing several queries. I'd say they were somewhere around basic-intermediate level in terms of the difficulty based on the HackerRank questions I've practiced with. I think the org is phasing out SAS, or there are a lot of people using it already in the org. You can use SQL directly in SAS anyways, so I guess they mostly index for SQL.
  • Next round was Tableau and constructing visualizations, using calculated fields, functions, etc. for five questions. Pretty straightforward until the last two questions. Second to last question wanted a fixed LOD. Last question, I had to create a basic algorithm to filter customers who had purchased product in certain years and didn't in others.
  • Third round was a case study where I could use any tool (I used Tableau) to answer a series of questions. These questions were more analysis based like "what could explain the dramatic rise in X in 2021" instead of "hey, create this visualization" or "pull this data". One panel member also threw me a curveball question unrelated to the case study, asking me how I would estimate the # of EVs in the US and how I would project future growth. Basically a test of how well I thought on my feet.
I actually barely passed the first two rounds. So I think what really got me the job were my answers on the third round and the final round, the behavioral interview. On the behavioral interview, I pulled in my experience with my (super basic) ML project for my internship and emphasized adaptability to picking up new tools (eg. Power BI) even though I had no prior experience with them. I also talked about giving presentations to leadership, proposing ideas, and my work with Headphones.com on the YT channel which they were interested in. Lots of STAR method and keeping concrete work examples in mind. I asked my own questions to turn it into more of a conversation by the end, which I felt much more comfortable with. My takeaway from this experience is that there's definitely a minimum bar for technical skills in entry-level data roles, but being a strong communicator and illustrating how you think is more important, especially because interviewers expect you not to know much fresh out of college.

No doubt that you would score high on verbal and written communication, which are important for data science kind of work, surprisingly. Congrats again!

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #2,638 of 3,654
Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva Impressions

Price: $1600 (CIEM)
Configuration: 6BA
Unit was purchased for review from Lee of Elysian directly.

If you don't know the story on the Diva, it's one of the IEMs I heard at CanJam Singapore way back in April. After hearing the demo unit for a couple hours, I plonked money down on my own because - yes - it just sounded that good. I also had fresh ear impressions done at Zeppelin and Co, so I thought why not go for a CIEM? What transpired next was something no one wants to hear: numerous production delays, supply chain issues, and not-so-accurate timelines. But again, it sounded that good. So I patiently waited it out (and might've spammed Lee every few weeks asking where my Diva was) before it finally showed up this week.

diva1.JPG

graph (11).png

There is no point in asking me how I think the Diva CIEM compares to the UIEM; it's just been far too long since I've demoed the UIEM. But what I can tell you is that the Diva CIEM sounds damn good.

The calling card of the Diva lies in its bass. It has an integrated bass dial at the back of the shell that is adjusted via a small flathead screwdriver. But there are other IEMs that use similar gimmicks to control bass, so what's the catch? Basically, the distinction is that the Diva's bass boost is kept incredibly clean due to an aggressive lowpass. According to Lee, this also reduces output from the drivers which necessitates more power to drive the Diva. The level of SPL between each setting is also significantly greater than seen with most IEMs that use switches. In terms of actual bass performance, the Diva is respectable. With a good seal, the lowest frequencies pound, rumble, and bounce despite ultimately falling short in texture and slam. I find that the perception of slam is often aided by incisive attack transients. Here, closer listening reveals a slight softness to the Diva's bass transients, a subtle attack blurriness that is characteristic of the vented Sonion BA woofers. This is in spite of just how clean a bass shelf the Diva has. But overall, while I'd consider the Diva's bass not quite up to par with the best DDs, it puts on a pretty convincing show for a BA configuration.

The midrange of the Diva has the hallmarks of Elysian's house-sound with an aggressive rise to the upper-midrange that teeters on excessive. The bump at 4kHz was quite noticeable on first listen; the Diva actually has more upper-midrange on paper than the Elysian Annihilator. However, the Diva's stronger, but fairly smooth slope into the lower-treble balances out some of this 4kHz emphasis. Seori on "Lovers in the Night", where her voice has a dark yet fragile timbre, sounds just a little crisper than I'm used to on my other IEMs. Other tracks with more emphasized upper-midranges generally sound a tad hyper-boosted, but in a desirable, engaging manner. String plucks sound incredibly crisp and delineated. Bear in mind, this is all with the middle bass setting which has a dead-flat lower-midrange. Some tracks like Brett Young's "Catch" benefit from shifting to the minimum bass setting for more lower-midrange body. I find using the minimum bass setting also alleviates some of the forwardness to the upper-midrange if it's too much. In essence, the middle bass setting is a safe choice (to no surprise, as it makes the Diva sound similar to a Moondrop B2 with superior treble) even if kills some of the Diva's special sauce.

Measurements can often be deceptive; the Diva's treble response is a good example: I observed significant variation in the treble measurements with the slightest of placement adjustments on the coupler. As for what I actually hear in practice, I would say the Diva's treble response is distantly reminiscent of the 64A U12t's with a lower and upper-treble focus. However, the mid-treble valley that I hear on the U12t is more narrow on the Diva, and the Diva comes up for air at a slightly lower frequency than ~16kHz and with less magnitude. I'm not sure which response I think is more desirable. On one hand, the Diva's treble is less peaky; on the other, it doesn't have the slight shimmer and micro-detail the U12t exhibits up top and it can sound equally artificial. But this is nitpicking. The Diva's treble is fast, precise, and extends excellently; overall, it's a good treble response that pays compliment to the aggressive upper-midrange.

The Diva is as much a technical performer as it is fun. Macro-detail is stunning with a strong sense of the "big picture" to the music. Dynamic swings are vivid, and I find myself wanting to listen loud on the Diva despite the forward upper-midrange. Where the Diva possibly stumbles is micro-detail; the portrayal of the texture and nuance of individual instruments. I would suggest that this is mostly psychoacoustic. Relative to the U12t for example, the U12t seems more detail-oriented because of its unique recessions in frequency response and strong upper-treble. This draws your attention, almost effortlessly, to minutia you wouldn't normally hear; therefore, it comes across as sounding more detailed. The Diva's more conventional tuning - specifically in the upper-midrange - pushes detail on you to the point of which it can sometimes sound forced. Likewise, transients on the Diva have a more conventional, snappy attack/decay pattern especially in the midrange and treble.

At the end of the day, the Diva is one of the few flagship IEMs that I think is worth its salt at $1500-1600. It's a chameleon in terms of tuning that mostly screams fun but that can also play a more reserved role when needed. That in mind, I can actually see myself using the bass pot compared to other IEMs with similar gimmicks where I usually just choose one setting and leave it. The Diva has the whole package from tuning variety, to strong technicalities, and to excellent build quality and accessories. I think the real question here is whether you're willing to play the waiting game for this stellar IEM.

Bias Score: 8/10

All critical listening was done off of my iBasso DX300.

Sep 2, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,639 of 3,654

If you don't know the story on the Diva, it's one of the IEMs I heard at CanJam Singapore way back in April. After hearing the demo unit for a couple hours, I plonked money down on my own because - yes - it just sounded that good. I also had fresh ear impressions done at Zeppelin and Co, so I thought why not go for a CIEM? What transpired next was something no one wants to hear: numerous production delays, supply chain issues, and not-so-accurate timelines. But again, it sounded that good. So I patiently waited it out (and might've spammed Lee every few weeks asking where my Diva was) before it finally showed up this week.

diva1.JPG
graph (11).png

There is no point in asking me how I think the Diva CIEM compares to the UIEM; it's just been far too long since I've demoed the UIEM. But what I can tell you is that the Diva CIEM sounds damn good.

The calling card of the Diva lies in its bass. It has an integrated bass dial at the back of the shell that is adjusted via a small flathead screwdriver. But there are other IEMs that use similar gimmicks to control bass, so what's the catch? Basically, the distinction is that the Diva's bass boost is kept incredibly clean due to an aggressive lowpass. According to Lee, this also reduces output from the drivers which necessitates more power to drive the Diva. The level of SPL between each setting is also significantly greater than seen with most IEMs that use switches. In terms of actual bass performance, the Diva is respectable. With a good seal, the lowest frequencies pound, rumble, and bounce despite ultimately falling short in texture and slam. I find that the perception of slam is often aided by incisive attack transients. Here, closer listening reveals a slight softness to the Diva's bass transients, a subtle attack blurriness that is characteristic of the vented Sonion BA woofers. This is in spite of just how clean a bass shelf the Diva has. But overall, while I'd consider the Diva's bass not quite up to par with the best DDs, it puts on a pretty convincing show for a BA configuration.

The midrange of the Diva has the hallmarks of Elysian's house-sound with an aggressive rise to the upper-midrange that teeters on excessive. The bump at 4kHz was quite noticeable on first listen; the Diva actually has more upper-midrange on paper than the Elysian Annihilator. However, the Diva's stronger, but fairly smooth slope into the lower-treble balances out some of this 4kHz emphasis. Seori on "Lovers in the Night", where her voice has a dark yet fragile timbre, sounds just a little crisper than I'm used to on my other IEMs. Other tracks with more emphasized upper-midranges generally sound a tad hyper-boosted, but in a desirable, engaging manner. String plucks sound incredibly crisp and delineated. Bear in mind, this is all with the middle bass setting which has a dead-flat lower-midrange. Some tracks like Brett Young's "Catch" benefit from shifting to the minimum bass setting for more lower-midrange body. I find using the minimum bass setting also alleviates some of the forwardness to the upper-midrange if it's too much. In essence, the middle bass setting is a safe choice (to no surprise, as it makes the Diva sound similar to a Moondrop B2 with superior treble) even if kills some of the Diva's special sauce.

Measurements can often be deceptive; the Diva's treble response is a good example: I observed significant variation in the treble measurements with the slightest of placement adjustments on the coupler. As for what I actually hear in practice, I would say the Diva's treble response is distantly reminiscent of the 64A U12t's with a lower and upper-treble focus. However, the mid-treble valley that I hear on the U12t is more narrow on the Diva, and the Diva comes up for air at a slightly lower frequency than ~16kHz and with less magnitude. I'm not sure which response I think is more desirable. On one hand, the Diva's treble is less peaky; on the other, it doesn't have the slight shimmer and micro-detail the U12t exhibits up top and it can sound equally artificial. But this is nitpicking. The Diva's treble is fast, precise, and extends excellently; overall, it's a good treble response that pays compliment to the aggressive upper-midrange.

The Diva is as much a technical performer as it is fun. Macro-detail is stunning with a strong sense of the "big picture" to the music. Dynamic swings are vivid, and I find myself wanting to listen loud on the Diva despite the forward upper-midrange. Where the Diva possibly stumbles is micro-detail; the portrayal of the texture and nuance of individual instruments. I would suggest that this is mostly psychoacoustic. Relative to the U12t for example, the U12t seems more detail-oriented because of its unique recessions in frequency response and strong upper-treble. This draws your attention, almost effortlessly, to minutia you wouldn't normally hear; therefore, it comes across as sounding more detailed. The Diva's more conventional tuning - specifically in the upper-midrange - pushes detail on you to the point of which it can sometimes sound forced. Likewise, transients on the Diva have a more conventional, snappy attack/decay pattern especially in the midrange and treble.

At the end of the day, the Diva is one of the few flagship IEMs that I think is worth its salt at $1500-1600. It's a chameleon in terms of tuning that mostly screams fun but that can also play a more reserved role when needed. That in mind, I can actually see myself using the bass pot compared to other IEMs with similar gimmicks where I usually just choose one setting and leave it. The Diva has the whole package from tuning variety, to strong technicalities, and to excellent build quality and accessories. I think the real question here is whether you're willing to play the waiting game for this stellar IEM.

Eloquently put as usual. :) I'm loving me my Diva. One of my favourites for sure.

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #2,640 of 3,654

diva1.JPG
graph (11).png

Congratulations I am sure you will enjoy those beauties!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back