Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 2, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,641 of 3,652
Here, closer listening reveals a slight softness to the Diva's bass transients, a subtle attack blurriness that is characteristic of the vented Sonion BA woofers.
I noticed with the first quad vented sonion IEM I got, I called the bass 'poofy' I think you described it better lol.

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,642 of 3,652
Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva Impressions

Price: $1600 (CIEM)
Configuration: 6BA
Unit was purchased for review from Lee of Elysian directly.

If you don't know the story on the Diva, it's one of the IEMs I heard at CanJam Singapore way back in April. After hearing the demo unit for a couple hours, I plonked money down on my own because - yes - it just sounded that good. I also had fresh ear impressions done at Zeppelin and Co, so I thought why not go for a CIEM? What transpired next was something no one wants to hear: numerous production delays, supply chain issues, and not-so-accurate timelines. But again, it sounded that good. So I patiently waited it out (and might've spammed Lee every few weeks asking where my Diva was) before it finally showed up this week.

diva1.JPG
graph (11).png

There is no point in asking me how I think the Diva CIEM compares to the UIEM; it's just been far too long since I've demoed the UIEM. But what I can tell you is that the Diva CIEM sounds damn good.

The calling card of the Diva lies in its bass. It has an integrated bass dial at the back of the shell that is adjusted via a small flathead screwdriver. But there are other IEMs that use similar gimmicks to control bass, so what's the catch? Basically, the distinction is that the Diva's bass boost is kept incredibly clean due to an aggressive lowpass. According to Lee, this also reduces output from the drivers which necessitates more power to drive the Diva. The level of SPL between each setting is also significantly greater than seen with most IEMs that use switches. In terms of actual bass performance, the Diva is respectable. With a good seal, the lowest frequencies pound, rumble, and bounce despite ultimately falling short in texture and slam. I find that the perception of slam is often aided by incisive attack transients. Here, closer listening reveals a slight softness to the Diva's bass transients, a subtle attack blurriness that is characteristic of the vented Sonion BA woofers. This is in spite of just how clean a bass shelf the Diva has. But overall, while I'd consider the Diva's bass not quite up to par with the best DDs, it puts on a pretty convincing show for a BA configuration.

The midrange of the Diva has the hallmarks of Elysian's house-sound with an aggressive rise to the upper-midrange that teeters on excessive. The bump at 4kHz was quite noticeable on first listen; the Diva actually has more upper-midrange on paper than the Elysian Annihilator. However, the Diva's stronger, but fairly smooth slope into the lower-treble balances out some of this 4kHz emphasis. Seori on "Lovers in the Night", where her voice has a dark yet fragile timbre, sounds just a little crisper than I'm used to on my other IEMs. Other tracks with more emphasized upper-midranges generally sound a tad hyper-boosted, but in a desirable, engaging manner. String plucks sound incredibly crisp and delineated. Bear in mind, this is all with the middle bass setting which has a dead-flat lower-midrange. Some tracks like Brett Young's "Catch" benefit from shifting to the minimum bass setting for more lower-midrange body. I find using the minimum bass setting also alleviates some of the forwardness to the upper-midrange if it's too much. In essence, the middle bass setting is a safe choice (to no surprise, as it makes the Diva sound similar to a Moondrop B2 with superior treble) even if kills some of the Diva's special sauce.

Measurements can often be deceptive; the Diva's treble response is a good example: I observed significant variation in the treble measurements with the slightest of placement adjustments on the coupler. As for what I actually hear in practice, I would say the Diva's treble response is distantly reminiscent of the 64A U12t's with a lower and upper-treble focus. However, the mid-treble valley that I hear on the U12t is more narrow on the Diva, and the Diva comes up for air at a slightly lower frequency than ~16kHz and with less magnitude. I'm not sure which response I think is more desirable. On one hand, the Diva's treble is less peaky; on the other, it doesn't have the slight shimmer and micro-detail the U12t exhibits up top and it can sound equally artificial. But this is nitpicking. The Diva's treble is fast, precise, and extends excellently; overall, it's a good treble response that pays compliment to the aggressive upper-midrange.

The Diva is as much a technical performer as it is fun. Macro-detail is stunning with a strong sense of the "big picture" to the music. Dynamic swings are vivid, and I find myself wanting to listen loud on the Diva despite the forward upper-midrange. Where the Diva possibly stumbles is micro-detail; the portrayal of the texture and nuance of individual instruments. I would suggest that this is mostly psychoacoustic. Relative to the U12t for example, the U12t seems more detail-oriented because of its unique recessions in frequency response and strong upper-treble. This draws your attention, almost effortlessly, to minutia you wouldn't normally hear; therefore, it comes across as sounding more detailed. The Diva's more conventional tuning - specifically in the upper-midrange - pushes detail on you to the point of which it can sometimes sound forced. Likewise, transients on the Diva have a more conventional, snappy attack/decay pattern especially in the midrange and treble.

At the end of the day, the Diva is one of the few flagship IEMs that I think is worth its salt at $1500-1600. It's a chameleon in terms of tuning that mostly screams fun but that can also play a more reserved role when needed. That in mind, I can actually see myself using the bass pot compared to other IEMs with similar gimmicks where I usually just choose one setting and leave it. The Diva has the whole package from tuning variety, to strong technicalities, and to excellent build quality and accessories. I think the real question here is whether you're willing to play the waiting game for this stellar IEM.

Bias Score: 8/10

All critical listening was done off of my iBasso DX300.
Please which iem do you prefer for the voices i like to feel the weight of the voice in the ears many prefer the trailli timmy from gizaudio prefer the Diva to him

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #2,644 of 3,652

If you don't know the story on the Diva, it's one of the IEMs I heard at CanJam Singapore way back in April. After hearing the demo unit for a couple hours, I plonked money down on my own because - yes - it just sounded that good. I also had fresh ear impressions done at Zeppelin and Co, so I thought why not go for a CIEM? What transpired next was something no one wants to hear: numerous production delays, supply chain issues, and not-so-accurate timelines. But again, it sounded that good. So I patiently waited it out (and might've spammed Lee every few weeks asking where my Diva was) before it finally showed up this week.

diva1.JPG
graph (11).png

There is no point in asking me how I think the Diva CIEM compares to the UIEM; it's just been far too long since I've demoed the UIEM. But what I can tell you is that the Diva CIEM sounds damn good.

The calling card of the Diva lies in its bass. It has an integrated bass dial at the back of the shell that is adjusted via a small flathead screwdriver. But there are other IEMs that use similar gimmicks to control bass, so what's the catch? Basically, the distinction is that the Diva's bass boost is kept incredibly clean due to an aggressive lowpass. According to Lee, this also reduces output from the drivers which necessitates more power to drive the Diva. The level of SPL between each setting is also significantly greater than seen with most IEMs that use switches. In terms of actual bass performance, the Diva is respectable. With a good seal, the lowest frequencies pound, rumble, and bounce despite ultimately falling short in texture and slam. I find that the perception of slam is often aided by incisive attack transients. Here, closer listening reveals a slight softness to the Diva's bass transients, a subtle attack blurriness that is characteristic of the vented Sonion BA woofers. This is in spite of just how clean a bass shelf the Diva has. But overall, while I'd consider the Diva's bass not quite up to par with the best DDs, it puts on a pretty convincing show for a BA configuration.

The midrange of the Diva has the hallmarks of Elysian's house-sound with an aggressive rise to the upper-midrange that teeters on excessive. The bump at 4kHz was quite noticeable on first listen; the Diva actually has more upper-midrange on paper than the Elysian Annihilator. However, the Diva's stronger, but fairly smooth slope into the lower-treble balances out some of this 4kHz emphasis. Seori on "Lovers in the Night", where her voice has a dark yet fragile timbre, sounds just a little crisper than I'm used to on my other IEMs. Other tracks with more emphasized upper-midranges generally sound a tad hyper-boosted, but in a desirable, engaging manner. String plucks sound incredibly crisp and delineated. Bear in mind, this is all with the middle bass setting which has a dead-flat lower-midrange. Some tracks like Brett Young's "Catch" benefit from shifting to the minimum bass setting for more lower-midrange body. I find using the minimum bass setting also alleviates some of the forwardness to the upper-midrange if it's too much. In essence, the middle bass setting is a safe choice (to no surprise, as it makes the Diva sound similar to a Moondrop B2 with superior treble) even if kills some of the Diva's special sauce.

Measurements can often be deceptive; the Diva's treble response is a good example: I observed significant variation in the treble measurements with the slightest of placement adjustments on the coupler. As for what I actually hear in practice, I would say the Diva's treble response is distantly reminiscent of the 64A U12t's with a lower and upper-treble focus. However, the mid-treble valley that I hear on the U12t is more narrow on the Diva, and the Diva comes up for air at a slightly lower frequency than ~16kHz and with less magnitude. I'm not sure which response I think is more desirable. On one hand, the Diva's treble is less peaky; on the other, it doesn't have the slight shimmer and micro-detail the U12t exhibits up top and it can sound equally artificial. But this is nitpicking. The Diva's treble is fast, precise, and extends excellently; overall, it's a good treble response that pays compliment to the aggressive upper-midrange.

The Diva is as much a technical performer as it is fun. Macro-detail is stunning with a strong sense of the "big picture" to the music. Dynamic swings are vivid, and I find myself wanting to listen loud on the Diva despite the forward upper-midrange. Where the Diva possibly stumbles is micro-detail; the portrayal of the texture and nuance of individual instruments. I would suggest that this is mostly psychoacoustic. Relative to the U12t for example, the U12t seems more detail-oriented because of its unique recessions in frequency response and strong upper-treble. This draws your attention, almost effortlessly, to minutia you wouldn't normally hear; therefore, it comes across as sounding more detailed. The Diva's more conventional tuning - specifically in the upper-midrange - pushes detail on you to the point of which it can sometimes sound forced. Likewise, transients on the Diva have a more conventional, snappy attack/decay pattern especially in the midrange and treble.

At the end of the day, the Diva is one of the few flagship IEMs that I think is worth its salt at $1500-1600. It's a chameleon in terms of tuning that mostly screams fun but that can also play a more reserved role when needed. That in mind, I can actually see myself using the bass pot compared to other IEMs with similar gimmicks where I usually just choose one setting and leave it. The Diva has the whole package from tuning variety, to strong technicalities, and to excellent build quality and accessories. I think the real question here is whether you're willing to play the waiting game for this stellar IEM.

The graph seems quite appealing on min bass settings. Looks very clean for instrumental music but might lack noteweight for my tastes (exacerbated by all BA set up).

I have encountered the same issues with the vented Sonions, in my case implemented in the Penon Legend. The attack is slower which softens textures and dynamics. The positives was that it produced a non- fatiguing bass that was quite atmospheric but ultimately did no favours for low end string instruments and percussion, in retrospect.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #2,646 of 3,652
How can one purchase Elysian products from the US? Reaching out directly on FB?
Before purchase, just bear in mind that the waiting time is pretty much more than 4 months at this point.
I have been waiting for my unit since Canjam SG which has been 5 months at this point for my custom although the universals tend to be faster for some reason. From what I heard it's all made to order for both universals and custom.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #2,647 of 3,652
Custom Art FIBAE 7U Impressions

Price: $1500 USD
Configuration: 7BA

Unit kindly provided for review by @piotrus-g of Custom Art.

Hey all, sneaking one more set of impressions in. I've had a few requests for this IEM, so I reached out to Piotr of Custom Art who was kind enough to hook me up with a review unit (with some superb shipping speed!). Custom Art is based out of Poland and was founded way back in 2012. The Fibae 7U is the brand's latest IEM that supersedes the Fibae 7, the previous halo model of the lineup.

7u1.jpg

graph (1).png

On paper, bass on the 7U is about equal parts sub-bass and mid-bass. It is possible that I am wrong, but I do not believe the 7U uses vented BA woofers. The 7U's bass has a slightly dry texture to its transients and attack is fairly clean despite what sounds like a mid-bass emphasis in practice. The booms to kick drums fade out quickly and with a lack of weight; generally, these qualities are more reminiscent of my experience with the Knowles BA woofers. The 7U's bass does seem to struggle with conveying rumble and tickling my ears, such as at 0:30 on Seori's "Lovers in the Night". Perhaps it requires more sub-bass quantity, or the CIEM version of the 7U, to compensate for the higher SPL leakage BAs usually exhibit. In any case, the bass here is acceptable for a BA configuration, but not much else of note to me.

I don't have much to say about the midrange of the 7U because of it just being...good. I would say it sounds fairly neutral with some slight warmth to male vocals. Female vocals are more forward and have a good sense of wholeness, vibrance, to their upper-harmonics thanks to the 7U's treble response.

Now, speaking of which, the treble of the 7U merits more commentary. It's characteristic of unlidded BA tweeters with a sizzle-y quality to shakers and a splashy fade to the connection of cymbals. The splashiness is attributable to some valley after the ~10kHz region before the 7U exhibits a strong spike at ~15kHz. Relative to the 64A U12t which shares some of these qualities, the U12t has more energy at 5kHz (by virtue of its recession from 3-4kHz) which puts more weight behind the initial "thock" of percussive hits. In general, then, the 7U has a "feathery" treble response wherein transients don't have much weight behind them. The good part is that it extends damn well. The bad part is that it doesn't sound natural at all. Listener mileage will also vary depending on how high up one can hear (it's somewhat fatiguing to me on certain tracks like Loona's "Eclipse") and whether one is willing to sacrifice a more natural treble response for more extension.

However, a clear benefit of this less-than-linear treble response presents itself with the 7U's imaging. The contrast between recessed mid-treble and boosted upper-treble enhances the 7U's sense of space and layering capability; it sounds surprisingly open for what is such a small IEM physically. Center imaging on the 7U is also fairly palpable, easy to visualize and pinpoint in the head-stage. For a sense of detail, the 7U can generally be considered a good performer, probably in the "A" range in my book. The tuning is not egregious enough to sound completely unnatural (thus diminishing perceived detail) and the excellent treble extension aids this impression. Dynamic contrast is typical of most multi-BA configurations, the 7U sounds upwards-compressed, perceptively skewing towards the loud points of tracks.

Overall, the 7U is good sounding IEM that I feel could use some minor refinements here and there. If I'm being perfectly blunt, it's not really to the level of something like the Elysian Diva (which also clocks in at $1500); I feel that the 7U's competition lies more with the likes of the kilobuck crowd. But maybe comparing to the Diva is unfair given just how high a bar it sets. I still think there's a lot of potential to be had here - the 7U at least has some character - and there's something to be said about a smaller brand having the confidence to send out a review unit knowing my uber-critical standards. I can certainly tip my hat off to that.

I'm still mulling over the bias score which I'll enter on my ranking list after I spend some more ear time with the 7U.

All critical listening was done with the stock cable, stock tips, and my iBasso DX300.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,648 of 3,652
and there's something to be said about a smaller brand having the confidence to send out a review unit knowing my uber-critical standards. I can certainly tip my hat off to that.

They are confident for sure. That 10k dip and 15k gain look yummy to me.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #2,649 of 3,652

Hey all, sneaking one more set of impressions in. I've had a few requests for this IEM, so I reached out to Piotr of Custom Art who was kind enough to hook me up with a review unit (with some superb shipping speed!). Custom Art is based out of Poland and was founded way back in 2012. The Fibae 7U is the brand's latest IEM that supersedes the Fibae 7, the previous halo model of the lineup.

7u1.jpg
graph (1).png

On paper, bass on the 7U is about equal parts sub-bass and mid-bass. It is possible that I am wrong, but I do not believe the 7U uses vented BA woofers. The 7U's bass has a slightly dry texture to its transients and attack is fairly clean despite what sounds like a mid-bass emphasis in practice. The booms to kick drums fade out quickly and with a lack of weight; generally, these qualities are more reminiscent of my experience with the Knowles BA woofers. The 7U's bass does seem to struggle with conveying rumble and tickling my ears, such as at 0:30 on Seori's "Lovers in the Night". Perhaps it requires more sub-bass quantity, or the CIEM version of the 7U, to compensate for the higher SPL leakage BAs usually exhibit. In any case, the bass here is acceptable for a BA configuration, but not much else of note to me.

I don't have much to say about the midrange of the 7U because of it just being...good. I would say it sounds fairly neutral with some slight warmth to male vocals. Female vocals are more forward and have a good sense of wholeness, vibrance, to their upper-harmonics thanks to the 7U's treble response.

Now, speaking of which, the treble of the 7U merits more commentary. It's characteristic of unlidded BA tweeters with a sizzle-y quality to shakers and a splashy fade to the connection of cymbals. The splashiness is attributable to some valley after the ~10kHz region before the 7U exhibits a strong spike at ~15kHz. Relative to the 64A U12t which shares some of these qualities, the U12t has more energy at 5kHz (by virtue of its recession from 3-4kHz) which puts more weight behind the initial "thock" of percussive hits. In general, then, the 7U has a "feathery" treble response wherein transients don't have much weight behind them. The good part is that it extends damn well. The bad part is that it doesn't sound natural at all. Listener mileage will also vary depending on how high up one can hear (it's somewhat fatiguing to me on certain tracks like Loona's "Eclipse") and whether one is willing to sacrifice a more natural treble response for more extension.

However, a clear benefit of this less-than-linear treble response presents itself with the 7U's imaging. The contrast between recessed mid-treble and boosted upper-treble enhances the 7U's sense of space and layering capability; it sounds surprisingly open for what is such a small IEM physically. Center imaging on the 7U is also fairly palpable, easy to visualize and pinpoint in the head-stage. For a sense of detail, the 7U can generally be considered a good performer, probably in the "A" range in my book. The tuning is not egregious enough to sound completely unnatural (thus diminishing perceived detail) and the excellent treble extension aids this impression. Dynamic contrast is typical of most multi-BA configurations, the 7U sounds upwards-compressed, perceptively skewing towards the loud points of tracks.

Overall, the 7U is good sounding IEM that I feel could use some minor refinements here and there. If I'm being perfectly blunt, it's not really to the level of something like the Elysian Diva (which also clocks in at $1500); I feel that the 7U's competition lies more with the likes of the kilobuck crowd. But maybe comparing to the Diva is unfair given just how high a bar it sets. I still think there's a lot of potential to be had here - the 7U at least has some character - and there's something to be said about a smaller brand having the confidence to send out a review unit knowing my uber-critical standards. I can certainly tip my hat off to that.

I'm still mulling over the bias score which I'll enter on my ranking list after I spend some more ear time with the 7U.

All critical listening was done with the stock cable, stock tips, and my iBasso DX300.
Thank you for your first impressions
but I do not believe the 7U uses vented BA woofers. The 7U's bass has a slightly dry texture to its transients and attack is fairly clean despite what sounds like a mid-bass emphasis in practice. The booms to kick drums fade out quickly and with a lack of weight; generally, these qualities are more reminiscent of my experience with the Knowles BA woofers.
both wrong :wink:

I'm a bit surprised about the graph as it's not consistent with our measurement with GRAS IEC-603184 coupler. I assume you are using a copy of 711, correct?. What tips did you use for measurements?
I hope it's not faux pax but I'd refer @Animagus 's graphs https://www.head-fi.org/threads/customart-fibae-impressions-thread.854355/post-17111871

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #2,650 of 3,652
Thank you for your first impressions

both wrong :wink:

I'm a bit surprised about the graph as it's not consistent with our measurement with GRAS IEC-603184 coupler. I assume you are using a copy of 711, correct?. What tips did you use for measurements?
I hope it's not faux pax but I'd refer @Animagus 's graphs https://www.head-fi.org/threads/customart-fibae-impressions-thread.854355/post-17111871

Ooo very interesting 👀 it’s always fun taking a guess and I have certainly been wrong in the past! I noticed that the bass curve is similar to the 64A A3t which uses a Knowles CI, so that’s what my first thought went to after hearing it.

Yes, it’s an IEC-711 clone with the stock silicone tips. The resonance on the graph Animagus posted is at 9kHz; I aim for 8kHz which might explain the discrepancy. But it’s no secret that the clone couplers have idiosyncrasies as well (e.g. mine tends to measure with 1-2dB more sub-bass and rolls-off past 18kHz)

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,651 of 3,652
Ooo very interesting 👀 it’s always fun taking a guess and I have certainly been wrong in the past! I noticed that the bass curve is similar to the 64A A3t which uses a Knowles CI, so that’s what my first thought went to after hearing it.
No worries. Tuning can change quite a lot of driver characteristics :)
Yes, it’s an IEC-711 clone with the stock silicone tips. The resonance on the graph Animagus posted is at 9kHz; I aim for 8kHz which might explain the discrepancy. But it’s no secret that the clone couplers have idiosyncrasies as well (e.g. mine tends to measure with 1-2dB more sub-bass and rolls-off past 18kHz)
Yeah, your graph looks closer to measurement of the IEM without tip so I was surprised and I sincerely hoped it was not a spin-fit hahaha.
In this case Animagu's F7U graph is processed GRAS data following IEC711 standard.

Sep 5, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,652 of 3,652
I sincerely hoped it was not a spin-fit hahaha.

Hi, I would like ask is there any problem with spinfit tips? I personally hear irregularities in the sound, like some kind of resonance, but I thought it is just me.

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,653 of 3,652

7u1.jpg
graph (1).png

Thank you very much for your impressions.
I tested U12t (and many others IEMs) and 7U had better and deeper sub-bass than U12t.
U12t is has warm sound with better soundstage, detail and separation.

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,654 of 3,652

diva1.JPG
graph (11).png

Thanks for posting your impressions. I was thinking of going in blind for this iem but there seem to be a huge backlog at the moment. Would you say that the bass quality is comparable to mid priced hybrids like variations?

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #2,655 of 3,652
F7u is very tips dependent i really like it with Aroma tips and with sources as RS6 or M9. a bit less with N6ii Ti R01 and T01, i don't own DX300 bit if i'd chose an amp board for F7u i'd try AMP13.
IMHO worth have more sources to judge an iem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back