Practical Devices XM5
Dec 30, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #91 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have experience with HD600 and no buffers I'm curious about how much the buffer chips help...

Yeah... but I've only got a few hours experience with the HD600 :p, so I'm not entirely sure what they are capable of! Here's an example of what I have learned though - trying to play Massive Attack - Karmacoma leads to a "hollowed out bass" sound - the bass is there but not completely when using the XM5. Apogee Mini-Dac's HP out has more oomph.

I'll do my best to give some opinions when the BUF634s arrive. I also ordered a couple of different opamps to try out - if my stupid ears can tell the difference...

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #93 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or any of the buffer or opamp options needed for easily driven IEM's like the Atrio M5's?

The Atrio spec is:

impedance 32 ohm
sensitivity 112 dB @ 30 Hz / 1 mW

I've never used the Atrio but they should perform very similar to my ER4P.

Buffers not needed. Whichever amp chips used would only change the sound signature. I've never thought that easily driven IEMs need an amp but it does often improve overall SQ, mainly opening up the soundstage from my experience.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #94 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Atrio spec is:

impedance 32 ohm
sensitivity 112 dB @ 30 Hz / 1 mW

I've never used the Atrio but they should perform very similar to my ER4P.

Buffers not needed. Whichever amp chips used would only change the sound signature. I've never thought that easily driven IEMs need an amp but it does often improve overall SQ, mainly opening up the soundstage from my experience.

I'm already using a FIIO E5 with my Zune and Atrio's and I like the way an amp sounds especially with Bass boost turned on the E5. So I'm now looking for a higher quality amp and the XM5 has the options I want.

I'm definitely getting another amp i was just wondering if all this talk of buffer and opamps were really needed by normal IEM's

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #95 of 397
Quote:

Or any of the buffer or opamp options needed for easily driven IEM's like the Atrio M5's?

I asked Practical Devices the same question via e-mail - here's the response I got:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Practical Devices
Your TripleFi's have a fairly low impedence; usually low-impedence 'phones benefit the most from chips with higher current capabilities (ie. BUF634 or AD8397), although only those with a fairly fine-tuned ear will appreciate the difference from your stock OPA134's.

As I'm getting my BUF634 chips today, I'll report back on the difference.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #96 of 397
I placed two BUF634s in my XM5 and found improved bass with HD600s. Also, the volume knob is now about 3 "hours" back for the same sound level.

No change with the sibiliance/treble problems with TF10s. Still not sure what's up with that.

Also - tried some OPA637s. Didn't work wonderfully - with the 10dB swtich disengaged I got static - had to engage the switch to get music to play. This is to be expected though, as the 637s are known to need a gain of 5 to work, and the XM5's gain is a bit under 5 (until you hit the +10dB switch!). However, the 637-laden XM5 has static issues - touching the case or turning the pot gives staticy badness. I'm stubborn and am going to try again later today... for now I want to enjoy the music!

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #97 of 397
Hey all, my review of the XM5 is now up!

Here's the direct link: XM5 Review!

I found the DAC of the amp to be very competent, but it was still not as good as I'd like, especially driving the HD600. When coupling the XM5's amp with an external dac (emu 0404 usb), i heard some drastic improvement. So i think as a portable amp, the XM5 is very good, but driving phones like the HD600 i still prefer my heavy-weight tube amps!

PS Happy new years eve!

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #98 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the DAC of the amp to be very competent, but it was still not as good as I'd like, especially driving the HD600. When coupling the XM5's amp with an external dac (emu 0404 usb), i heard some drastic improvement. So i think as a portable amp, the XM5 is very good, but driving phones like the HD600 i still prefer my heavy-weight tube amps!

PS Happy new years eve!

Happy New Year's Eve to you too.
beerchug.gif

Nicely written.

I still haven't compared my XM5 DAC to Pico DAC but I think I know what that outcome will be...

Even though having a DAC in the XM5 is nice, that is probably the feature that I'll use least...so just a bonus for me. My XM5 is meant to stay Velcroe'd to my 120 Classic.

I still haven't tested the XM5 with my HD650 but from what you've stated they should have good synergy.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #99 of 397
Quote:

PS Happy new years eve!

Nice review how did the Treble and bass boost effect the sound quality especially with both enabled? Any degradation or issues?

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #100 of 397
Quote:

PS Happy new years eve!

You guys are killin' me here
smily_headphones1.gif
! Now I gotta plan for a new amp
biggrin.gif
!

-HK sends

P.S. Anyone want to buy two PD XM4s? I need to finance an XM5.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #101 of 397
Quote:

Nice review how did the Treble and bass boost effect the sound quality especially with both enabled? Any degradation or issues?

Ah, forgot to mention those in my review! Like all equalizers, they tend to muffle the sound to a certain degree. But to my ears, both treble and bass boost are very good, giving a slight push towards both ends. It wasn't a night and day difference, but you can definitely tell either ends are emphasized.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #103 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say this would be a nice amp to accompany a laptop on trips for watching movies and listening to music?

-HK sends

There are many portable amps out there on the market. It all depends on your budget. But yes, the XM5 would be a great option.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #104 of 397
I've found the bass boost to be a bit boomy, but MUCH better than the iTunes EQ. Treble boost is very good, on appropriate tracks.

HK_sends - The DAC is better than my laptop's, and with the BUF634 there is power to drive bigger cans (like my HD600s).

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #105 of 397
Thanks for the replies.

I have used practical Devices amps before and while not being extremely high end, I like their sound, ruggedness and portability (and the whole customizing deal).

Never used a DAC before, but it does seem a decent place to start (and get a good amp in the process).

Cheers,
-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back