Practical Devices XM5
Dec 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #76 of 397
Feel like swapping the BUF634's for the copper busbars and trying out some IEMs for me?
normal_smile .gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #77 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feel like swapping the BUF634's for the copper busbars and trying out some IEMs for me?
normal_smile .gif

If I have time I can try that maybe late tonight.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #78 of 397
Here it is.

2675068550044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

2825943600044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

I was listening only for any brightness with the busbars in place of the buffers.I only used one song( "Angel" from Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing CD ). I only used 325i.

My test was short but if there was any difference it was small. Changing to the busbars and reassembling the amp took several minutes...my memory isn't that good and I can't say that there was any change.

I'm glad that I opted for the Li-ion battery & charger because I wouldn't want to go through that very often. I highly recommend paying the extra for the fast charge option.(edit- just a battery change will be less work!)

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #79 of 397
More to throw in the mix - I used the "airline adapter" that came with my TF10s (all XM5 switches off) - the music is now a touch brighter/more detailed than the HP outs of the 0404 USB and my MBP. It sounds good. As a bonus, all the line hiss I used to hear is now gone.

I really do think there is something weird going on with my XM5 and low impedance IEMs. I'd asked PD about getting their AD opamp a week ago but I guess they are on holidays.

I think (I hope!) I've managed to capture the true sonic signature of the amp.

I'm currently A/B/Cing between the XM5, the 0404, and the XM5 with 0404 as DAC - I'll report back tomorrow after I've had a thorough listen.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #80 of 397
GreatDane - just saw your post after I sent my last one. Thanks very much for doing the test! In my experience the difference in brightness is a big one - so I'm thinking more and more that whatever's going on in specific to me.

Nice photos BTW - looks like you used bounce flash!

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #81 of 397
How many hours do you have on your XM5? I can't remember if you've mentioned that before...if that is even a factor for you.

I've never used Triple.fi 10's but I didn't hear anything from my ER4P that wasn't expected. It seems like your gear is giving you a hard time and messin' with your head. lol

My XM5 still has less than 50 hours but I'm not expecting to hear much change as it passes 100 and beyond...if it gets better than this then I won't complain.

My camera in just a Canon SD600. I used slow speed(80) in macro mode under moderate light.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #82 of 397
I've got at least 70 hours on it - I let it burn in overnight 3x and used it for a week while marking 700 midterms :S

Hopefully the HD600's I get on Monday shed more light on the situation... or prove to me that I need more buffering to drive my headphones.

Sadly I've not had a chance to hear much gear, so it's difficult for me to establish a reference point for amps. However, finding that I hear such a huge sonic difference just by inserting an airline adapter tells me that something is going on!

Wow, that SD600 takes nice photos! It's been so long since I've used a point and shoot I'd forgotten how good they could be!

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #84 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Mir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this tiny amp able to drive the D2000 or the various AT's at a decent level? Is it able to compare with the Pico and the Predator?

I haven't done any serious comparisons to my Pico yet but based on what I know so far I'll say YES for raw power. I've yet to do any down and dirty SQ comparisons yet.

My XM5 has the buffer chips. It is very powerful for a 9 volt power supply.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #86 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be doing a review for the XM5 in the coming couple of days. First impression is very positive, the little device is highly transparent with a very clean, a bit "digital-like" sound.

I look forward to reading your review.

popcorn.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #87 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Mir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this tiny amp able to drive the D2000 or the various AT's at a decent level? Is it able to compare with the Pico and the Predator?

I would put it among the upper tier of portable headphone amps, along side the Predator, Pico, 2MOVE, TTVJ portable Millett and HR Micro Amp (and maybe the D3 if it weren't for the RFI I get with D3 and iPhone).

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #88 of 397
Well, it's all the way at the 3 o'clock setting (no switches enabled) or 1 o'clock with the 10dB switch engaged, but it's driving my HD600s to decent volumes. Bass is not very well controlled on some of my techno tracks with the gain switch off, but I'll report back tomorrow after the BUF634s I ordered arrive.
biggrin.gif

Also - my impressions on the XM5's DAC - it's OK but not as good as that of the E-MU 0404 or the Apogee Mini-Dac which I've had the opportunity to test this week. I'm not good with words, but E-MU/Apogee DACs sound a bit "smoother", and have a touch less line hiss when I plug the line out of the other DACs into my XM5 and use my IEMs.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #89 of 397
Quote:

Well, it's all the way at the 3 o'clock setting (no switches enabled) or 1 o'clock with the 10dB switch engaged, but it's driving my HD600s to decent volumes. Bass is not very well controlled on some of my techno tracks with the gain switch off, but I'll report back tomorrow after the BUF634s I ordered arrive.
biggrin.gif

Also - my impressions on the XM5's DAC - it's OK but not as good as that of the E-MU 0404 or the Apogee Mini-Dac which I've had the opportunity to test this week. I'm not good with words, but E-MU/Apogee DACs sound a bit "smoother", and have a touch less line hiss when I plug the line out of the other DACs into my XM5 and use my IEMs.

With the BUF634 it seems to drive the HD600 as well or better than Pico. I didn't bring those with me to Maui, so I can't listen again till Friday as I work on my review. I brought 3 amps with me on vacation, and so far have not used the Predator or Headsix, but only used the XM5 which sounds great with my ESW10JPN and NE-7M and Westone 3. The DAC seems to be on the level of the Predator and 2MOVE, and a little below the Pico and Mini-DAC or Micro DAC, but I still think it is pretty good vs headphone out of the Macbook or iPod.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #90 of 397
Quote:

... I'll report back tomorrow after the BUF634s I ordered arrive.
biggrin.gif

You caved! That didn't take long
tongue.gif

As I stated previously, I've compared with/without buffers but I'm unable to test with HD650. I hope to receive a cable very soon for that.

Since you have experience with HD600 and no buffers I'm curious about how much the buffer chips help...I don't plan to go through that swap test again.

I'm itching to put the XM5 DAC up against Pico DAC.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back