Practical Devices XM5
Feb 18, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #393 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.

Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp

July will be 2 years with my XM-5. I haven't tried the 8065 chips yet, but will get to them one day. I wonder if anyone has tried it with the Beyer DT-880's.... probably my next headphone upgrade.

Hi, I have the 880's 250, with the 8065+buff634. It's a killer combo. You know the feeling when the music sounds so good you want to turn in up more, then a bit more, until you're listening at way more than normal. Yea, that's it. Bass is good, fairly tight. Miss and highs are very transparent. I recabled as well, that makes a bit of difference. Original cables are thin and there's only one neutral wire.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #394 of 397
pea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.

Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #395 of 397
Quote:
pea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?
I know nothing first hand about the MadDogs, but their ads say that the MD's will work with some of the Iphones, etc.  The XM-5 has a bit more power then the XM-6 (per their website) and lots more then the Iphone, and there's several other power options available by rolling the chips.
My original purchase was with the AD8397 chip. It produced great sound and volume with my AKG 240S phones. I wanted to try other chips, so I got the BUF634 buffer chips and 3 pair of other "front end" chips. The buffer chips produced a bit more volume.
Give the XM-5 a try, possibly with the BUF634 and AD8065 chips. If you don't like them/doesn't work with the MadDogs, they'll take it back.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #396 of 397
Hey Harvey,

Glad to see the XM5 still getting some love. Have had mine for several years and just noticed the different chips they offer now.
Will open her up later today to see what chips I have in there. Been a long time but I think I went with BUF634 but can't remember the other one.
How's the AD8065 & AD8397 DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #397 of 397
Quote:
Do you own one? What are your thoughts on it?

Anyone have recommendations for opamp rolling? It'll have the BUF634P chips installed when they come in the mail (sadly, it might take a few weeks). I'm considering the OPA627 and LME49710 opamps, maybe the AD8610. I'm not really interested in dual-channel opamps, I want to keep the monoblock configuration.

I've had mine for several years  now, originally with the AD8397 chip.  Tried the OP134's with the BUF634 buffers, and did not like as well. I rolled again. Presently have LM6171 chips and the BUF634. Also have the LME49710 chips., but can't remember if I tried them or not.  The LM6171's have been installed for a few years now, so I probably liked them better then the LME's.

Been too long since I did some serious listening with it and different chips...I may make it a winter project
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I'll get the AD8065 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back