Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #93 of 337
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/powerbeats-pro-truly-wireless

Very good bass, but that’s all there is to it! No isolation at all as well as a rather low IP rating!! Apple needs more focus to produce something really good, since competition is hard nowadays. For now, Jabra seems to be more versatile, with AAC Bluetooth codec support...

Flat “remarkable” bass down to 10Hz with no emphasis whatsoever. In fact, the upper mids and treble are emphasized. This is more of an audiophile headphone than anything else. A critical listening score of 7.5 is high, as is the exceptional frequency response consistency (9.4), imaging (8.7), and total harmonic distortion at 9.0 which rivals just about every high-end headphone on the market. These are easily the best measurements of any truly wireless headphones.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #94 of 337
Flat “remarkable” bass down to 10Hz with no emphasis whatsoever. In fact, the upper mids and treble are emphasized. This is more of an audiophile headphone than anything else. A critical listening score of 7.5 is high, as is the exceptional frequency response consistency (9.4), imaging (8.7), and total harmonic distortion at 9.0 which rivals just about every high-end headphone on the market. These are easily the best measurements of any truly wireless headphones.

Most probably you are forgetting something very important; all these measurements are taken with perfect seal on a stable dummy head!! No moving human can get this seal with Powerbeats pro, as you can see clearly from all reviewers and consumers as well!

Do not exaggerate! The mids and treble have same score as Jabra and other truly wireless in ears. Only bass is better, which without seal is ZERO!! Read also the comparison texts at the bottom of the rtings review, with other major wireless headphones, to see for your self that Powerbeats Pro are no big deal!

And even if it is as you say, what’s the use of all this hi-end sound if every motorbike, bus or train sound is finding its way inside your audio nirvana?? It’s just good if you seat in your quiet living room, but then again what’s the use of wireless sound in your living room??

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #95 of 337
Most probably you are forgetting something very important; all these measurements are taken with perfect seal on a stable dummy head!! No moving human can get this seal with Powerbeats pro, as you can see clearly from all reviewers and consumers as well!

Do not exaggerate! The mids and treble have same score as Jabra and other truly wireless in ears. Only bass is better, which without seal is ZERO!! Read also the comparison texts at the bottom of the rtings review, with other major wireless headphones, to see for your self that Powerbeats Pro are no big deal!

Its critical listening score is higher than every other truly wireless earbuds other than the Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless, but that has a total harmonic distortion score of 7.0 vs 9.0 on the Powerbeats Pro.

I’ve found in the past Rtings’ scores have translated directly to the listening experience, but as you said seal can vary for users and without a good fit the sound won’t be as good as the measurements imply.

I’m curious to test the Powerbeats Pro for myself since obviously that’s the best way to hear what they sound like. I’m pretty happy with AirPods so they’d have to be meaningfully better and fit me well enough to replace them. It’s all subjective, even though the Powerbeats Pro should sound better some people prefer the sound of the AirPods. I quite like them because they either fit or don’t, which is more convenient than testing different ear tips (which a lot of users don’t bother doing then complain about poor sound quality).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #96 of 337
Its critical listening score is higher than every other truly wireless earbuds other than the Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless, but that has a total harmonic distortion score of 7.0 vs 9.0 on the Powerbeats Pro.

I’ve found in the past Rtings’ scores have translated directly to the listening experience, but as you said seal can vary for users and without a good fit the sound won’t be as good as the measurements imply.

I’m curious to test the Powerbeats Pro for myself since obviously that’s the best way to hear what they sound like. I’m pretty happy with AirPods so they’d have to be meaningfully better and fit me well enough to replace them. It’s all subjective, even though the Powerbeats Pro should sound better some people prefer the sound of the AirPods. I quite like them because they either fit or don’t, which is more convenient than testing different ear tips (which a lot of users don’t bother doing then complain about poor sound quality).

Don’t just get stuck to the critical listening score. People at rtings are very detailed and express their opinions in comparison with other similar headphones at the bottom of each review. Apart from scores there are the words as well which I think you should spend some time to read. When they give a higher score but in the comparison section they write that they are equal, just better in different aspects, then this high score that you claim, means nothing at all. The Powerbeats pro have a very big flaw, which is the same with AirPods and seems to be the preference of Apple but not mine! They offer zero noise isolation so they are useless for commuting. Whatever good sound means nothing if noise enters your ears!!

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #97 of 337
Don’t just get stuck to the critical listening score. People at rtings are very detailed and express their opinions in comparison with other similar headphones at the bottom of each review. Apart from scores there are the words as well which I think you should spend some time to read. When they give a higher score but in the comparison section they write that they are equal, just better in different aspects, then this high score that you claim, means nothing at all. The Powerbeats pro have a very big flaw, which is the same with AirPods and seems to be the preference of Apple but not mine! They offer zero noise isolation so they are useless for commuting. Whatever good sound means nothing if noise enters your ears!!

Their isolation is still significantly better than AirPods.

I think for their intended sport/fitness use they have the right amount of isolation; personally, I don’t like to be completely isolated from my environment and like AirPods for this usage. It’s better to have some awareness of what’s going on around you at the gym or on a run — or even when walking around the city.

However, they may not be the best commuter headphones. I don’t use public transportation often but if I do I use EarPods or AirPods specifically because they offer minimal isolation so I can still hear my surroundings.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #99 of 337
Wouldn’t different tips on these solve the isolation problem?

By design, they’re not supposed to sit deep enough in the ears to provide total isolation. I suppose you could try to mitigate this with different ear tips although that will affect the sound.

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #100 of 337
By design, they’re not supposed to sit deep enough in the ears to provide total isolation. I suppose you could try to mitigate this with different ear tips although that will affect the sound.

If you are interested in more isolation. You might want to try Comply T400 ISOLATION tips. They are longer than the Comply Sport or Comfort tips.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #101 of 337
Their isolation is still significantly better than AirPods.

I think for their intended sport/fitness use they have the right amount of isolation; personally, I don’t like to be completely isolated from my environment and like AirPods for this usage. It’s better to have some awareness of what’s going on around you at the gym or on a run — or even when walking around the city.

However, they may not be the best commuter headphones. I don’t use public transportation often but if I do I use EarPods or AirPods specifically because they offer minimal isolation so I can still hear my surroundings.

Do you know what this means? That music in that case is just a background sound. Main sound: city, background: music. Well I don’t like it that way, if that’s Apple’s thing it’s not mine! And there is technology of course to have both isolating and hear through whenever you want, like on Jabra. But Apple always prefer to make it cheaper and sell expensive so we could not expect from Apple to use it all at once:))

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #102 of 337
If you are interested in more isolation. You might want to try Comply T400 ISOLATION tips. They are longer than the Comply Sport or Comfort tips.

Comply get damaged and need to be changed every 3-4 months depending on each person. Is this a solution? Also keep in mind that every tip which is different from the default one supplied with each headphone, will alter the intended sound since length, bore size as well diameter are different on every other tip and have rather important influence on sound.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #103 of 337
Do you know what this means? That music in that case is just a background sound. Main sound: city, background: music. Well I don’t like it that way, if that’s Apple’s thing it’s not mine! And there is technology of course to have both isolating and hear through whenever you want, like on Jabra. But Apple always prefer to make it cheaper and sell expensive so we could not expect from Apple to use it all at once:))

We’ve had this conversation in the AirPods thread and to my memory you agreed with my observation that the music can still be front and center if you choose to focus on it rather than focusing on the background :wink:

It’s similar to if you’re in a restaurant or store and you choose to focus on the music rather than the conversations going on around you.

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #104 of 337
We’ve had this conversation in the AirPods thread and to my memory you agreed with my observation that the music can still be front and center if you choose to focus on it rather than focusing on the background :wink:

It’s similar to if you’re in a restaurant or store and you choose to focus on the music rather than the conversations going on around you.

True, this was my point of view at that time, but I found out that it can’t work that way. When music comes to a similar volume level with your surroundings the result is a total chaotic mess of a sound! It’s impossible to focus on and listen to the audio details of each music piece. You just get a messed up version of the louder parts of the music together with the louder parts of your surroundings’ sounds. This is not music listening, sorry! You either enjoy music in the quiet environment of your living room, or in a quiet environment created by your headphones. No other way for this hobby! Apple’s headphones implementation is completely wrong at this aspect and I think is based on their only goal to minimize cost and sell high. Same goes for their IP rate. Please someone give me a reasonable argument as to why Apple’s iems are of the lowest resistance rating around! I mean things have become quite obvious anymore...

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #105 of 337
True, this was my point of view at that time, but I found out that it can’t work that way. When music comes to a similar volume level with your surroundings the result is a total chaotic mess of a sound! It’s impossible to focus on and listen to the audio details of each music piece. You just get a messed up version of the louder parts of the music together with the louder parts of your surroundings’ sounds. This is not music listening, sorry! You either enjoy music in the quiet environment of your living room, or in a quiet environment created by your headphones. No other way for this hobby! Apple’s headphones implementation is completely wrong at this aspect and I think is based on their only goal to minimize cost and sell high. Same goes for their IP rate. Please someone give me a reasonable argument as to why Apple’s iems are of the lowest resistance rating around! I mean things have become quite obvious anymore...

It’s purposeful by design not to fully isolate. If you want that, you’ll need to buy a different pair of headphones. It’s beneficial to be able to hear some background noise while using a fitness IEM.

Regarding IP rating, they’re pessimistic with it for whatever reason. (Under promise, over deliver?)

I have no concerns about Powerbeats Pro, or AirPods for that matter, getting damaged by water as long as they aren’t submerged for long periods — especially after all the tests I’ve seen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back