Power Cords Is this Some BS or Do They really affect CD Sound?
May 12, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #106 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I got my Volex 17604 power cords today. <chopped>

The Volex 17604s are basically made of Belden 19364 (IIRC), which is a shielded 14ga and is what was used in the Bob Crump Asylum power cord. Unless you have very heavy current draw, you don't need any more than this. There may be something to one thing I heard awhile back that was basically if power cords do make a big difference on a component, the power supply section in that component might be of suspect design.

I have built and use a couple of the Asylum cords, but can't really say that I've noticed a difference between them and the stock cord.

May 12, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #108 of 121
Quote:

I got my Volex 17604 power cords today. Shipping was very quick to my home. I plugged in one A/C cord between my BPT power unit and RSA Emmeline HR-2. Having done so, I can safely say that the "blackground" is complete. I used to hear a buzzing sound that was only detectable with no CD playing and all of my equipment on but the volume pot turned all the way down. That just about killed low level detail retrieval especially for classical music since that comprises over 50% of my music collection. These Volexy 17604 power cords do what some expensive boutique power cords (cough cough Cardas Golden Reference, PS Audio xStream Plus) do which is to lower the background noise. I don't think others will notice this effect since most people do not own Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO earphones with 13.3 Ohms of sensitivity rating. But, I do notice it right away. This alone is worth their crazy low price of about $5.50 USD per power cord. You could spend much more money to get the same effect, as I have, but why?

I like this aspect about the power cord alone. I can not safely say that any other change has occured and no I do not believe in that bogus BS crap about burn in. At least my digital rig is dead silent now. I am happy I decided to take a leap of faith and buy these Volex 17604 power cords. They are a cheap solution to a simple problem.

They do look like overbuilt power cords on steroids.

Hi Welly_Wu

Where did you get them for $5.50? Thanks

May 12, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #110 of 121
Quote:

Oo for fudge sakes.... Too many people hear a difference to discredit them all. If you can't hear it, sucks to be you. Learn to deal with your deficiencies.

Too many people have seen ghosts and Bigfoot also. Does this mean we should not discredit them?

Quote:

It is scientifically proven that power cables do make a difference in sound

Can you provide some links?

May 12, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #111 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Can you provide some links?

Like any links are needed! Remove your power lead and try listening to your gear - I'll bet it sounds a bit different
wink.gif

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it'll sound far more natural, and have a heap less noise
smily_headphones1.gif

--Rich

May 12, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #112 of 121
That sounds like an subobjective test not a scientific proof
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #113 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Some amp makers do voice their equipment to a specific (stock) cord, and will sound better with them than many aftermarket cords. Some dont include more expensive cables as even $4 on a bill of materials could increase the retail price by $16. Others feel that the cabling is up the the end user so they can customise their overall sound. Others dont believe or care that it would make a difference (the Sonys etc) Others dont include them as they cant get quantities they need. Case in point: Channel Islands audio recommend the shielded Volex for use with their amplifiers. They looked into shipping them standard with all of their products, but no supplier could provide them with the quantities they needed for all of their products, every month. I dare say that Channel Islands would not a high volume manufacturer. Talk to Dusty if you want more details.

First, what is $16.00 in the profits of a multithousand dollar machine or amp???...Second if they are so difficult to be obtained locally, do you really believe that to get them from China or India will be any problem, for let's say Sony or Marantz, which probably had many plants there already. And let me tell you something, probably they even made their own cables, it is the same to order a crappy cable than a good one, the only thing you have to do is change the order to a different product, or do you think that the manufacturers of those cables can only make two prong cables???

OTOH how do you know that Sony do not care and the rest does but can't get it? I know that many people here tend to bash Sony, but FYI my ES player came "stock" with a nice power cord, different, and a lot better and nicer, than some of their competitors, including a lot more expensive machines and amps, not the regular computer grade cord, and it is a 500.00 retail price player.

About that some of them do not believe, well me neither, so we are even, and IMO that is the main reason why they do not inlcude them...About Volex, well maybe they can't supply the quantity they need, but for sure other manufacturers do, let's say, maybe Quail for example, they produce all the cables for all the industrial and hospital equipment in a huge part of the US, if they get a millionare contract with any audio company do you think that they will hesitate of expanding the market???? All you need is time to plan ahead what you want.....

May 13, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #114 of 121
If you give someone caffeine pills and tell them they're sleeping pills, most often they will go to sleep quicker then they usually would. That has been proven in clinical studies.

Tell someone a cable improves sound..

May 15, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #117 of 121
What bothers me of all those main cleaner devices, (and I think that Monster and PS, and maybe others as well, learned that lesson) is that the most important thing is not to offer a pic of an square beatiful shiny box, but the guts....what is inside? How the inside looks like, what are you using to purify that noise, how do you treat the noise, with just a varistor or a ferrite core? Some more knowledgeable people would have an idea of if what they are offering is worth or not just looking at the circuit...

May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #118 of 121
The majority of these (excluding proper AC regeneration devices) are just a few caps and inductors. And they do work as intended. They clean noise from the AC mains line, there's no question about it. The real question comes after the device, namely does the amplifier's performance change if fed with a standard 50hz waveform through a standard cable, or a power conditioner with a shielded cable? My measurments, my ears, and lots of wasted effort IMHO say no they don't make a licking difference. Quite frankly I couldn't care less how people spend their money.

May 15, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #119 of 121
Its a hard thing to say either way about definitively since everyone has a different situation. In my condo the power must not be the greatest. With my Lavry DA10 hooked up my PS Audio UPC200 it sounds great... plugged right into the wall the Lavry sounds harsh and dry. Almost like a DAC1!!!
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #120 of 121
Quote:

These Volexy 17604 power cords do what some expensive boutique power cords (cough cough Cardas Golden Reference, PS Audio xStream Plus) do which is to lower the background noise.

I laud your efforts for honestly speaking from your personal observations.
It is not easy to do so under all this "audiophile" peer pressure.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back