Power Cords Is this Some BS or Do They really affect CD Sound?
May 17, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #121 of 121
I have noticed that this thread is getting more attention than smaller and similiar threads in the cables and power forum. I wanted to provide an update on my impressions. I do not hear the things written by Solude or MarkL about these Volex 17604 power cords whatsoever. I also do not believe that burn in is real either...except when a snakeoil audio dealer or manufacturer wants you to exceed his full refund deadline. To me, this is a perfectly uncolored and neutral power cord. It has eliminated the humming and buzzing sound I used to have to deal with like tinnitus. As a result, I can now listen to music at even lower volumes with full musical satisfaction. Here are my audiophile lexicon impressions:
low level information retrieval is highly resolved as microdynamic shading is unencumbered by falsetto colorations
blackness between notes is pitch dark; "blackground" is an accurate description
macrodynamic shading is not constricted: there is no "catchy" spectra within the audible frequency band that attracts attention. Deep bass through the midrange up to the upper trebles sound balanced, open, and crystal clear.
Soundstage width and depth are well proportioned with no obvious distortions in imaging specificity or location
Bass extension, slam, and decay are not rolled off or soft sounding; in fact, it sounds uncolored or hardened by discolorations usually injected by high end audiophile power cords
Midrange immediacy and clarity are uncolored and neutral with correct spatial depth and width. No sonic images jump out forward or recede into the background.
Treble is smooth with an open clarity that has no shrill hardness or soft roll off
Tonal balance and overall perspective are accurate, balanced, uncolored, neutral, and non-fatiguing
Immediacy is terrific due to the aforementioned outstanding low level information retrieval qualities. More of the music comes through clearer at lower volumes without an affronting forwardness or unnatural folding back false sense of intimacy which usually is the crime committed by high end audiophile power cords (each of which is striving for competitive differentiation at insane price points that only audiophiles are willing to consider paying).
If the recording is outstanding, then so too is the music. Conversely, poor sounding albums sound terrible. The Volex 17604 power cords do not -- not -- attempt to mollify or ameliorate the sound of music; rather, they just hand off the signal faithfully without imposing an opinionated rendition of the music.

Based upon my readings of the values and purposes of high end audio, I have come to the conclusion that the Volex 17604 power cords are definitely high end power cords that are available a very low cost because they eliminate RF/EMI and virtually reject all self noise. I used to think that only high end boutique audiophile power cords could do this due to their "majikal marketing." You can get the same results too for less. I am now musically satisfied with these Volex 17604 power cords. I would highly recommend these power cords as a sane alternative to high end, high markup audiophile power cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back