Power cord upgrade and Yulong D100 MK2 dac/amp
Jan 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

billerb1

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got the Yulong for Christmas to pair up with Denon 5000's and have been real pleased with the beefier and more detailed sound.  In trying to get the most out of it I've been reading up on power cord upgrades, which I've never done.  Couple questions:
Is there a power cable that you would recommend under $150 that really would make an audio difference...and what have you experienced the differences to typically be. 
Second question.  I just assumed that if I upgrade the power cord I would use that cord between my surge protector and the Yulong...but I read somewhere today that the most important place for the upgrade cord is from the wall to the surge protector.  Help!

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the info.  But we're talking a $225 investment to enhance the audio from a $480 dac/amp.  Have people heard that much improvement in this type situation to warrant the price?  I would take a chance if it was the $75 for the upgrade cord from the dac to the surge protector.  Do all agree that the cord from the wall to the surge protector is necessary?  More opinions please.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 15
sorry OP for the OT comment. 

personally I would not use a surge protector at all. have you tried plugging the dac directly to wall? my dac really benefited from an external power supply. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 15
from my little experience...
my order of powercord upgrade would be
first on the amp...
then the dac...
and lastly conditioner to the wall.

and if i have more money, i will dig my way to the power substation down the road.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Good power cord (from wall outlet to equipment) will replace both your DAC and power conditioner, and still get better sound.

Yes getting a good pair of speakers is important.

Shunyata Research Venom 3 for $150 is what you need.  Best investment for the money.  You can thank me later.

goodolcheez

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi. If you stretch a bit there are a couple of used kaplan cables on audiogon and audio circle. Around 200. I use 4 of these and they are good value. The cable can last while you upgrade other stuff.

Gary

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Just got the Yulong for Christmas to pair up with Denon 5000's and have been real pleased with the beefier and more detailed sound.  In trying to get the most out of it I've been reading up on power cord upgrades, which I've never done.  Couple questions:
Is there a power cable that you would recommend under $150 that really would make an audio difference...and what have you experienced the differences to typically be. 
Second question.  I just assumed that if I upgrade the power cord I would use that cord between my surge protector and the Yulong...but I read somewhere today that the most important place for the upgrade cord is from the wall to the surge protector.  Help!

Best place (or first place) for a PC upgrade is between wall and surge arrestor.
A lot of surge arrestors do nothing to the sound, only protect your equipment from surges, spikes, etc.

Personally, I like the PS Audio Duet and Quintet.
They seem to clean up some of the powerline noise. Even audio products add a lot of power line noise to your powerlines.
In other words, your various DACs and amps, etc pollute each other with power line noise.

With Power cords and surge arrestors: try before you buy!

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Emotiva power cables are fantastic quality for the price. I'm not a believer in cables, but I like having peace of mind anyway. Emotiva on it all. 

Considering cabling my entire system out with Voodoo stuff which means I'd get some Magneto cables ($125). They look quite nice.

EDIT: Or you could just get a Hospital grade Green Dot cable for $20 and be done.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Hi, if i replaced the power cord from wall outlet to surge protector, do i still need to replace those from surge protector to my active speakers and dac? Thanks

Need to? You don't need to replace any of them. If you are worried about bad/irregular power, get a power conditioner of some sort - cables won't make a jot of difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back