Post Your Photography Here #2
May 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #13,411 of 15,743
  Changed my Tokina 11-16 for the Sigma 8-16... Why? In a word "Flare". ..And was the widest lens available before the Canon 11-24 fx just came out a month ago. 

I have the Tokina 11-16, too. Great lens..But only for crop sensor and when no flare.  The Tokina 11-16 Mk II was supposed to improve flare with the new lens coating, but reviews say it didn't work.
I so wish that Sigma 8-16 was full-frame, not just crop-sensor because the new Canon 11-24 is $3000 
angry_face.gif

May 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #13,412 of 15,743
Early morning at the Côte d'Azur, where the Alps plunge into the Mediterranean. A local shepherd with his dog, both staring hard down the precipice.

'Pecore!', he calls out to me. And noticing my puzzled look, again and more enquiringly: 'pecore?'.

Turns out he left his sheep in the open overnight and now they're nowhere to be seen... just miles and miles of rugged rock and macchia.

May 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #13,413 of 15,743

I have the Tokina 11-16, too. Great lens..But only for crop sensor and when no flare.  The Tokina 11-16 Mk II was supposed to improve flare with the new lens coating, but reviews say it didn't work.
I so wish that Sigma 8-16 was full-frame, not just crop-sensor because the new Canon 11-24 is $3000 
angry_face.gif

Yes I like everything else about the Tokina and would still recommend it to anyone, especially for architecture both outside and in. But the flare is bad for my style.

The 8-16mm is by no means perfect either as you can't use filters (because of the huge bulb front) without the aid of a cumbersome adapter. It's also a very slow lens in comparison to the Tokina. However, after having spent a week with the Sigma comparing it, it is a better lens for my needs. I don't shoot much interior stuff and even if I did I just need to pump the ISO up 2 stops to match (which the D7000 is more than capable of). I do think the Sigma is a little sharper but that is irrelevant for me in all honesty, as long as a lens is sharp enough.

The winning factor with the Sigma imo is at the 8mm end. Without going into the technicals, it is extremely good. With minimal distortions (although inevitably there are some) and much less CA than the Tokina. I've pointed the lens directly at the sun and I now get one or two small orbs and that is very good for such a wide angle zoom. You have to give Sigma credit for such a great design (5 years ago!). 

May 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #13,414 of 15,743

May 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #13,415 of 15,743
Landscape photography from today, and I'm starting a new series:

Polaroids from nowhere, No.1

Taken with iphone with no touchups.

May 3, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #13,416 of 15,743
  Landscape photography from today, and I'm starting a new series:

Polaroids from nowhere, No.1

Taken with iphone with no touchups.

Great stuff, look forward to more! 

May 3, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #13,418 of 15,743
Parabolics are expensive indeed. There are always cheaper alternatives from small brands though.

Last edited:
May 3, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #13,420 of 15,743

May 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #13,421 of 15,743
  Parabolics are expensive indeed. There are always cheaper alternatives from small brands though, which I might be tempted to try sometime. I've been playing the role of wardrobe stylist lately too, for some of my smaller shoots.  I think a green top or kimono jacket would be just perfect to go with that environment!

Which cheaper alternatives?

May 3, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #13,422 of 15,743
Check out cowboy studio. Not the most high quality stuff, but price is great. I bought reflectors and light stands from them before.

Not everyone can afford broncolor or even westcott, so this is always a great alternative.

May 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #13,423 of 15,743
  Check out cowboy studio. Not the most high quality stuff, but price is great. I bought reflectors and light stands from them before.

Not everyone can afford broncolor or even westcott, so this is always a great alternative.

I know Cowboy Studio, but didn't know they had parabolic softboxes? Unless you're talking about deep octas (Elinchrom Rotalux style)? Phottix just came out with one, but there are cheap versions as well, just harder to find. The "true parabolic" shape ones with 12 ribs are from Rime Lite and Aurora (both Korean companies) --- companies like Dynalite and Westcott rebrand their light shapers, actually.

The only ones that actually attempt to copy the broncolor Para and Briese Focus series are from FalconEyes, but those PLMs are more like the Profoto Giant reflectors. Even from a 'cheap" company like FalconEyes, those "copycat" parabolic reflectors are nearly $800 USD. Beats $3000-5000, I guess.

EDIT: Did some digging --- you talking about these? http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/16-rod-octagon-grid.htm

I'm loving the sharpness of the 100L Macro... now if only I can get consistently good focus with the 6D's crappy AF system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back