Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,756 of 15,758
Very nice picture.  Does you camera have the ability to spot meter?  If so, you can spot meter off the moon and get a much faster exposure.  You'll see the craters in the moon and you can also reduce the iso and handhold the shot.

Quote:

After my recent band banquet. Sorry if it's a bit noisy, my ISO was at 1600...

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #10,757 of 15,758
Quote:
Very nice picture.  Does you camera have the ability to spot meter?  If so, you can spot meter off the moon and get a much faster exposure.  You'll see the craters in the moon and you can also reduce the iso and handhold the shot.

Quote:

After my recent band banquet. Sorry if it's a bit noisy, my ISO was at 1600...

I think it might... Can you explain to me really quickly what that is? Sound really useful! BTW, those colors didn't exist in the picture until I super-saturated and cranked up the vibrance using Lightroom.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #10,758 of 15,758
Alan Henry and I discussed active noise-canceling headphones for a noise-canceling headphone article Lifehacker published today.

I took a photo of the headphones we discussed (not all of which made it into the article), and they used the photo.

(Click on the photo to see a full size version.)

Here's the photo setup:

I'm not posting this shot for its beauty or artistry--I just thought it cool that it was on the homepage of Lifehacker today.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #10,759 of 15,758
Typically, when metering a picture, the camera uses information from the entire frame to determine the "best" overall exposure.  This is often a compromise and may result in dark shadows and blown highlights, all in the same picture.  This type of metering is called evaluative.  In older cameras, before advanced processing was implemented in cameras, there was a method called center weighted, which tried to expose the center of the frame properly because that was often the subject of the picture, whether it is a person or a mountain.

Spot metering allows the photographer to pick the exact subject in the frame to be properly exposed.  Other parts of the picture are often blown out or too dark, but the subject is metered correctly.  This is useful for the moon (your moon is blown out) or flowers.  In the begonia picture below, I spot metered off of the flower petals.  Everything else was dark and underexposed, but the flower was perfect.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/256063/post-your-photography-here-2-new-dial-up-800x600-friendly/10680#post_9437446

Quote:
I think it might... Can you explain to me really quickly what that is? Sound really useful! BTW, those colors didn't exist in the picture until I super-saturated and cranked up the vibrance using Lightroom.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #10,760 of 15,758
Quote:
WOOOOOOOO MACRO. Can't wait till I get my extension tubes.

The sunflower and the ant were taken by my SX20IS - sunflower at full tele macro mode, the ant at widest lens setting, super macro mode. The other flower was with my E-P2 and 17mm/f2.8 pancake. I have a spare Nikon 50mm lens here but I haven't had the time to pick up a reverse adapter and play with it.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10,763 of 15,758
Quote:
A couple of photo's from T.H.E. Show that came out all right, given "show condition" lighting.

What is that thing!! (Obviously a TT, but seriously!)

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #10,765 of 15,758
Jun 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #10,766 of 15,758
Just some shots I liked haha :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #10,767 of 15,758

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #10,769 of 15,758
I like them too, particularly the frst and last one :)

@Redcar, that's a great shot!

Thx,

These micro-nikkors have a rear element 6 inches from the mount. I finally got brave and used a stirring stick with water and tissue to clean it. Then another to dry it, mounting the tissue with tape. It's now much more clear.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #10,770 of 15,758
Gosh, that sounds scary. I woulda taken it to a professional, but if you got it to work, awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back