Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #9,331 of 15,770

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #9,332 of 15,770

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #9,333 of 15,770
Gee, I'm surprised.  No one sells their photos on their own?

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #9,334 of 15,770
@Redcarmoose great beach series again, but borderline torturous for anyone living north of the 45th parallel at this time of the year.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #9,335 of 15,770
Quote:
Gee, I'm surprised.  No one sells their photos on their own?

Well, I plan on doing so, but I don't actually sell any yet. At least not personal work (not counting the theatre photography I do). I am scheduled to have an exhibition at a local art gallery early next year, and I'm hoping to go from there.

As far as price goes, in my experience something in the $100 - $300 range for a large size print seems to be the going rate for 'art' photography at the entry level. But I'd advise looking around at what is selling in your area / wherever you plan on selling and seeing what goes for what price.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #9,336 of 15,770

Quote:
In 35 years I've never asked for money for a single print.  I give all my images away if I think someone really wants one and is going to have it properly matted and framed.

Really really noble but personally speaking, if a stranger ask for a print of mine, it will come with a fee I am afraid.  As much as I love to give work away for free, I really can't afford to.

The above print, if it were to go on sale.  I would need to ask for $500/600 to be even worth while.  The material and labour cost for that is rather high.  The print alone cost me $50 to print = 300 gsm museum quality fine art print.  Frame came to $300/350 depends on exchange rate.  Handmade to order.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,337 of 15,770

Quote:
Really really noble but personally speaking, if a stranger ask for a print of mine, it will come with a fee I am afraid.  As much as I love to give work away for free, I really can't afford to.

The above print, if it were to go on sale.  I would need to ask for $500/600 to be even worth while.  The material and labour cost for that is rather high.  The print alone cost me $50 to print = 300 gsm museum quality fine art print.  Frame came to $300/350 depends on exchange rate.  Handmade to order.

I'm not sure what is so noble about it.   Strangers never really see my work so thats out, but if someone I know wants a print they pay for the print process although I often do that (I always control the printing process), they pay for the matte and they can frame it.   The only work I do is take the image and then work the image into what I want it to be.  Once I'm done with the image I don't have much use for it myself, I've gotten all the creative pulse from it I can get so afterwards  it's time for the next phase of the image and that is for someone else to enjoy it.  

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #9,339 of 15,770
Yeah, it was a great moon here, too; I almost took a picture, but I didn't really feel like getting out my camera. It's a rare day in Michigan when the sky is clear enough, though - I imagine that's less of a problem in Cali.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #9,341 of 15,770
Nice clear moon out tonight.  Canon 70-200mm with Kenko 1.4x teleconverter.

6671242949_e01618dc37_z.jpg

Absolutely beautiful and well shot image my friend. The moon looks nice tonight!

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #9,342 of 15,770
@ james444, Our winter is the rainy season which lasts six months. It has rained the last three days straight, if that makes you feel better. 

@ Jon L, Great shot of the Moon! One I took this year was at 460mm hand held. If you shoot it in the early morning, the sky can be blue but when exposure for detail on the Moon is correct the sky ends up looking black like night. Funny, as I noticed very little color in my shot last year and the photo came out looking black and white too. You would think there would be some type of color even if it was just a little cast?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #9,343 of 15,770

Quote:

@ Jon L, Great shot of the Moon! One I took this year was at 460mm hand held. If you shoot it in the early morning, the sky can be blue but when exposure for detail on the Moon is correct the sky ends up looking black like night. Funny, as I noticed very little color in my shot last year and the photo came out looking black and white too. You would think there would be some type of color even if it was just a little cast?

I shot it late at night in pitch black and had to really crank down iso and increase aperture in manual mode to avoid blowing out the moon.  Even with teleconverter it's only 280mm, so there was heavy cropping, but the image came out pretty nice anyway.  Tripod and remote shutter release helped, I'm sure. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9,345 of 15,770

This is a four image panorama of a sunrise with my Super Takumar 200mm f4 @ f8. Medium amount of editing in Lightroom. Stitched with Hugin.
Of course, I had to make it much smaller for this thread, but it doesn't look as good as it could when pixel peeping the full panorama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back