Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #9,316 of 15,770

Quote:
I love the milk jug diffuser!  Works good for you?  Do you use it just to add more total light to a room or another use?

Milk jugs have a lovely white translucent color, and the much larger surface area compared to the usual small Stofen omni-bounce types gives you a much softer light.  If you move the jug closer to a person's face, the short distance and larger area really gives a great portrait light akin to a pro softbox.  Or you can use the "bare bulb" effect and light it in the middle of the room when multiple people are present to illuminate multiple people/objects.  Just don't whip out the jug in a paid photo gig, because the clients want to see expensive gear!

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #9,317 of 15,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just don't whip out the jug in a paid photo gig, because the clients want to see expensive gear!

Yes, I was thinking a very similar thing.  I said to myself "bet people wouldn't be too happy to see a wedding photographer walking around with something like that", irrespective of how good it works.  Gotta love it.

I think I'm going to have to steal your idea next time I do some product photos.  I've been using one soft box and multiple backup bare florescents.  I think I'll try to put a few milk jugs over the bare florescents and see how it works.  Hopefully it helps soften up some shadows.

Thanks Jon L!

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9,318 of 15,770
Jon L

I'm waiting for you to make a moveable point source out of a handfull of fiberoptic cables. You could put a colored disk of celophane across the inside of the tubes for colorlighting effects. I would guess the Pringels can is foil on the inside but the salt can could use white paper on the inside to reflect the light better.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #9,319 of 15,770

Been taking pictures on and off for pretty much 10 years now.  Seriously the last 3 but this is the first photo I ever got framed for me rather than for clients.  

It is the left bigger shot, iPhone for size.  The right photo I got framed last month but sadly I can't claim credit for that, I did buy it though (duh! :p).  E-cookie for the person who can guess who is the photographer of that.  :)

Anyway, it feels really good that I have something of mine framed!!!  Strange that all the photos I've taken, I seldom print them, should do this more often!

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #9,320 of 15,770
I like to make very large prints from my images at 20X24.   I use MPIX and I really like the Metallic Paper finish. 

http://www.mpix.com/products/prints/  Scroll down to "Metallic Prints" then "All Sizes"

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #9,321 of 15,770

Quote:
I like to make very large prints from my images at 20X24.   I use MPIX and I really like the Metallic Paper finish. 

http://www.mpix.com/products/prints/  Scroll down to "Metallic Prints" then "All Sizes"

I've printed other work on metallic print before, it gives a strange 3D look and feel to it.  It looks amazing on inanimate objects and especially metal objects.  However I would not use it on people, the colours are too much on the warm side for that.

Mine is a 24x16" print above.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #9,322 of 15,770
Yeah depending on the light and contrast with portraits one has to adjust the file for people to determine if the metal is a good selection.   What I do is something to the equivalent to the test strip when printing in a dark room.  I'll send out small variations in contrast and color saturation of an image and then order small prints of each variation to see what might be best for the larger more expensive print.  I do that with all the prints I want to have complete control over.  

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #9,323 of 15,770

Quote:
Jon L

I would guess the Pringels can is foil on the inside but the salt can could use white paper on the inside to reflect the light better.

Yup, Pringles comes foil-lined, but the Morton Salt can could use some TLC inside.  I've been thinking about how to modify the internals without too much hassle.  But what I REALLY want to DIY is something like the Ray Flash, but without the problems, i.e. putting too much weight/stress on the flash head, needing different size Ray Flash if flash and camera models change, and the ludicrous price for a piece of plastic ($200!).  There are various Chinese knockoffs out there, but so many people report lots of issues with them.

6656867151_859c3b9f5e_b.jpg

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #9,324 of 15,770
Some people here take VERY nice photos.
Have any of you setup your own website to sell prints?

I'm in the process of making my website, and was wondering if anyone had any success on their own.
I'm also not sure what a fair price for an art quality print would be (without any framing, just the print).  100$ ? more? less?  This would be a print around 20inches printed with very good inks and very good paper (epson 9800, epson premium luster).

Throughout the years I have taken a few pictures which I feel would make very beautiful wall art.  I imagine some people may like to have some photos that I've taken.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #9,326 of 15,770

Quote:
In 35 years I've never asked for money for a single print.  I give all my images away if I think someone really wants one and is going to have it properly matted and framed.

That's very noble of you.
I'm not as noble, sadly.  I'd like to partially fund my continued work in this hobby.  (not to mention I'm a poor college student, have been for the past 7 years, and will probably continue to be for the next 7 years).  I would love it if I could make enough money in a couple of years to be able to, say, purchase a new lens.

Edit:  I take that back slightly.  All the family photos I take I do provide for family members at no cost.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #9,327 of 15,770
While shooting some pics for my next few reviews, I played around a little while, downed the exposure, and added a black and white scheme to the presentation. Nothing much, just bored...taken on a Nikon D80 with a AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-135mm F/3.5-5G IF ED lens...

Supposed to bring on a dark scheme so to speak.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #9,328 of 15,770
         or ..................     

It is fun to tone B/W prints though I don't think the effect is just like it was using chemicals to tone prints. This is Photoshop, I think I will look into other aftermarket programs that may be special for B/W digital tonal processing. In this shot I would like to tone it so there was maybe a little more pure white in the highlights.

Maybe?

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #9,329 of 15,770
Quote:
Yup, Pringles comes foil-lined, but the Morton Salt can could use some TLC inside.  I've been thinking about how to modify the internals without too much hassle.  But what I REALLY want to DIY is something like the Ray Flash, but without the problems, i.e. putting too much weight/stress on the flash head, needing different size Ray Flash if flash and camera models change, and the ludicrous price for a piece of plastic ($200!).  There are various Chinese knockoffs out there, but so many people report lots of issues with them.

Is something like this good for macro? I rather not go the (ugly) DIY flash way though you probably get better variation and easier mobility to changing out the flashes
tongue.gif
Im thinking in the next year ill be upgrading to a 7D with a Sigma 105mm macro or Canon EF 100mm macro and a good landscaping lens.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #9,330 of 15,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back