Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #9,301 of 15,758
I'll try and stick with the cloud theme going on. Shot these six hours ago.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #9,302 of 15,758

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #9,303 of 15,758

Quote:
Well like you can buy a lot of photographs on ebay, but you wont know how good he/she is unless you go to an appraisal expert and ask them about the photographer. 

I'm not sure I know what you mean again but  I've never bought a piece of art for its market value or its resale value. I guess if that is how one values the worth of art then an appraisal for some market value or even resale value may be needed but I don't actually need one to know if a photographer is good or not.  

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9,305 of 15,758
On a whim, I screwed on the 70-200 lens on my old EOS 3 35mm film camera with grip.  Ahhh, this is how it should feel in your hand.  Too bad shooting film isn't exactly convenient or cheap these days.  I think I even have some Velvia film in this particular body at the moment..

6603988017_638ce5d60a_z.jpg
some Velvia film in this particular body at the moment..

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #9,306 of 15,758

Photos from a recent trip to an asian wet market and bakery.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #9,307 of 15,758
Quote:
On a whim, I screwed on the 70-200 lens on my old EOS 3 35mm film camera with grip.  Ahhh, this is how it should feel in your hand.  Too bad shooting film isn't exactly convenient or cheap these days.  I think I even have some Velvia film in this particular body at the moment..

some Velvia film in this particular body at the moment..

I really do hate you with your very beautiful (you know its nice when its white) Canon TOTL lens.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #9,308 of 15,758
Quote:
I really do hate you with your very beautiful (you know its nice when its white) Canon TOTL lens.

Now there's a matter of opinion if ever I heard one; one of the two main reasons I don't use Canon gear is because I think the white lenses look ugly (the other is that I don't like the ergonomics).

I was going to post a picture of my own 70-200 f/2.8, but I didn't feel like setting up the lights. Next time I'm doing something else.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #9,309 of 15,758

Quote:

Well, I spend less elsewhere, including my cheap DIY light modifiers.

From left to right:
Morton Salt container DIY Macro flash
Pringles potato chip super snoot, with Pringles container cap in front for diffusion
Milk Jug Super Omni-Bounce

size]

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #9,313 of 15,758
Quote:

Now there's a matter of opinion if ever I heard one; one of the two main reasons I don't use Canon gear is because I think the white lenses look ugly (the other is that I don't like the ergonomics).

I was going to post a picture of my own 70-200 f/2.8, but I didn't feel like setting up the lights. Next time I'm doing something else.

Interesting... i like the look of them lens's and itt sets Canon apart from the crowd.

Quote:
Well, I spend less elsewhere, including my cheap DIY light modifiers.

From left to right:
Morton Salt container DIY Macro flash
Pringles potato chip super snoot, with Pringles container cap in front for diffusion

Stupid Question: Why do you use them light modifiers? Just to change the direction of the light to something you like more?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #9,314 of 15,758

Quote:
Stupid Question: Why do you use them light modifiers? Just to change the direction of the light to something you like more?

In general, the larger and closer the light source is, softer the light.  This is desirable for portraiture unless you are going for the hard-light, deep shadows look.  

The snoot is to concentrate the light to a smaller area, for dramatic effect, hair light, etc.

The macro flash extension allows lighting subjects very close to camera lens, few inches away, which a normal flash on top of camera won't light up evenly.  

There are gazillion other things to be said about various other light modifers, such as beauty dish, grids, socks, soft boxes, shoot-through umbrella, reflective umbrella, etc, but Google is your friend..

For example, this bee shot was using the Morton Salt macro flash tube.  

6651111061_ef986ef9d6_z.jpg

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,315 of 15,758

Quote:

size]

I love the milk jug diffuser!  Works good for you?  Do you use it just to add more total light to a room or another use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back