Post Your Headphone EQ Settings
Oct 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #18 of 54

Quote:
They are very different, but similar in ways.  I have not done a back to back comparison, but here's a quick take from memory: They are similar in that I feel both could use a hair more bass, but the AKG's do have better bass IMO.  Mids and highs: I've always felt the AD700's have slightly recessed mids, that's why I moved to the AD900's which "fixes" that.  As far as highs, I think the AD700/900 "win" because they are slightly mellower than the AKG's.  I'm talking about the Sextetts here.  The DF's sound very similar to the Sextetts but with another hair's less bass.  Soundstage: Both AKG's put the image in your head or slightly out in front.  The AD700/900's put the image further out more like speakers.

Recessed mids? Strange. Without EQ'ing AD700 mids are forward to me; very nice and detailed mids.

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 54
First is my Beyer DT-990s brand new
Second AGK-702s
I use a Optical input to Audio-GD Compass for DAC and Darkvoice 337 AMP
For my HD-600s no EQ needed

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 54
I used to drop 4-8khz range by a few db on my K701's to make the sound more natural and less plastic. It helped a little, but nothing too mindblowing. I don't EQ my HD650's at all.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #21 of 54
Curious, does anyone know what changing the frequency and width of bands on Cowon player EQ does?  I've never used an EQ that lets you do that before, is it worth it messing around with that or should I just stick to EQ'ing the volumes?

I personally found the ad700 mids slightly recessed too.  The sound is very very airy, instruments feel light and floaty, and almost a little bit faint in my opinion.  

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 54

Quote:
I change the EQ on my iTouch to Deep and like it better with my IEMs

I hated Apple's preset EQ settings.
It's usually fully customizable EQ settings for me or none at all.

Quote:
Off topic, but OP what wallpaper do you have there? I like it :p

Ehh just something I got off google. It's actually in a rotation of different wallpapers that change periodically. :p

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #25 of 54
It seems like this thread is turning into a general EQ thread.

Can I post my settings?
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 54
Oct 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 54
I'M SO CONFUSED! ok then. . . I'll be back.

HD 485:

HD 650:

I like very flat sound, and my 650s are bright.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 485s have a larger mid bass hump than that actually (kind of ridiculous) but I Like a little more bass than anything else sometimes.

For anyone who cares, and perhaps for future reference.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 54
The type of equalizer on your cowon is called a parametric EQ. It basically does the same thing as a regular bass/treble or graphic equalizer, except its customizable. It lets you specify an exact center frequency (59 hz for example) and how much spread or bandwidth you want your cut/boost to be (53 through 65hz, 59 being your center frequency). On a typical bass/treble EQ, the center frequency is set at 100 hz for bass, 10,000 hz for treble, and the bandwidth is usually very wide to cover a large portion of the specified frequency range.  

A parametric EQ is VERY MUCH worth messing with. Bass/treble, and even 31 band graphic eqs are far too general. They solve one problem, then add another.  

But, graphic EQ's are good if you want to intentionally color the sound. Just make a smiley face and get a crossfeed if that is what your after.  

A great turorial for PROPERLY equalizing headphones:  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Quote:

Curious, does anyone know what changing the frequency and width of bands on Cowon player EQ does?  I've never used an EQ that lets you do that before, is it worth it messing around with that or should I just stick to EQ'ing the volumes?

I personally found the ad700 mids slightly recessed too.  The sound is very very airy, instruments feel light and floaty, and almost a little bit faint in my opinion.  

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #30 of 54

Quote:
The type of equalizer on your cowon is called a parametric EQ. It basically does the same thing as a regular bass/treble or graphic equalizer, except its customizable. It lets you specify an exact center frequency (59 hz for example) and how much spread or bandwidth you want your cut/boost to be (53 through 65hz, 59 being your center frequency). On a typical bass/treble EQ, the center frequency is set at 100 hz for bass, 10,000 hz for treble, and the bandwidth is usually very wide to cover a large portion of the specified frequency range.  

A parametric EQ is VERY MUCH worth messing with. Bass/treble, and even 31 band graphic eqs are far too general. They solve one problem, then add another.  

But, graphic EQ's are good if you want to intentionally color the sound. Just make a smiley face and get a crossfeed if that is what your after.  

A great turorial for PROPERLY equalizing headphones:  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Quote:

Ah yes, that thread, too bad the free version of  Electri-Q in messed up and trying to find the peaks is so hard! I'm still looking for an free PEQ that works properly, but until then any large graphic EQ is great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the EQs on Cowons considered parametric? I thought they had to work with curves for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back