Post your foobar2000 EQ and Headphones Used
Aug 12, 2012 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus

Denon AH-D7000  

A low volume EQ setting with Heavy Metal music.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 5
I never used any EQ for my songs. Songs are meant to be played how they are recorded...AKG K701 here.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I never used any EQ for my songs. Songs are meant to be played how they are recorded...AKG K701 here.

I totally agree on about 90% of that. EQ does have it's place, I think.

I come from years of being an EQ non-user starting in the late 1970s. There can be some serious issues in quality distortion due to it's abuse.  

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

That's weird way of looking at it as every headphone will vary that "result of how they were meant to sound like". I don't EQ for a particular song, I EQ for the headphone but M-Audio Q40 is my first headphone which I haven't EQ'd cuz it already is balanced the way I see it optimal for my taste.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

That's weird way of looking at it as every headphone will vary that "result of how they were meant to sound like". I don't EQ for a particular song, I EQ for the headphone but M-Audio Q40 is my first headphone which I haven't EQ'd cuz it already is balanced the way I see it optimal for my taste.

Basically everything in the signal chain bestows a certain level of EQ into changing the signal. This is true of DAs, TT cartridges and even cables, even though so many don't believe!

I believe though that equipment will EQ with-out the degrading issues.

In the beginning all equalizers were analog electronic circuits using capacitors and inductors. These components shift the phase of AC signals passing through them. If you combine a signal with a phase shifted version of itself (after passing through the capacitor or inductor), the frequency response is altered. As one cycle of the wave is rising, the shifted version is falling, or perhaps it hasn't yet risen as high. So when the two are combined they partially cancel at some frequencies only thus creating a non-flat frequency response. Therefore analog equalizers work by intentionally shifting phase, and then combining the original signal with the shifted version. In fact, without phase shift they would not work at all!
Most digital equalizers mimic the behavior of analog equalizers, but with a completely different circuit design. Instead of using capacitors and inductors to shift phase, they use taps on a digital delay line. A digital delay line is a series of memory locations that the numbers representing digitized audio pass through. The first number that arrives is stored in Address 0. Then, at the next clock cycle (44,100 times per second for a 44.1 KHz. sample rate) the number in Address 0 is shifted into Address 1, and the next incoming sample is stored at Address 0. As more numbers enter the input they are shifted through each memory location in turn, until they eventually arrive at the output. This is the basis for a digital delay, and you can alter the delay time by changing the total number of addresses each number passes through or the sample rate or both. (A series of memory addresses used for this purpose is sometimes called a shift register because of the way the numbers are shifted through them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back