Post your computer specs!~
Oct 30, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #871 of 3,098
So I was looking at cases, and I was thinking about the RV02 from silverstone.  Vertical cooling?  Yes please. 

I'd probably upgrade the fans, as they're probably low CFM fans.  Not to mention they are 120mm and 180mm.  Damn large.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #872 of 3,098
Get the newer version with AP181 fans, but even with the older version you don't need to change anything, it's a beast at air-cooling. I've seen people change the 120mm fan for something a tiny bit quieter, but nobody touches the 180mms fans because they are godly.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #873 of 3,098

Quote:
Get the newer version with AP181 fans, but even with the older version you don't need to change anything, it's a beast at air-cooling. I've seen people change the 120mm fan for something a tiny bit quieter, but nobody touches the 180mms fans because they are godly.

What's the new version? 

I would probably get a fan controller.  I don't want them running full bore when I'm trying to sleep.  Why not upgrade the 180mm fans?  What CFM are they now? 

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #874 of 3,098
Silverstone released a limited edition version of the FT02 case (the FT02B-WRI) with their new Air Penetrator fans, and then started filtering the fans down into the regular models. I believe if you buy off Newegg or even Amazon you should get the updated version (it says on the box that it has AP fans). The main difference is that they concentrate the airflow better, there's a video on YouTube of them demonstrating this with dry ice or something.

There's a high/low switch for the 3 180mm fans on the top. 90% of people leave the fans on low because temps are only marginally inferior and you get less noise obviously. The FT02 is a bit quieter than the RV02 due to some sound-dampening material inside, and on low it's very quiet for a stock case.

Check this out, as although it's the FT02B-WRI, the internals are virtually identical to the RV02 minus the HDD arrangement:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silverstone-ft02r-w-review/3

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #876 of 3,098
The air also rises out through the expansion slots, and there's grills and stuff at the top. A user on OC3D or Hardforum, I forget which, tried changing the 120mm fan, and also adding another fan behind the expansion slots (he had to remove the shroud on top of the case) and it made no difference at all to temps. The cases bring in cool air from the bottom, and all the hot air in the case rises out the top. You don't need much exhaust because the 180mm fans are creating a vertical wind tunnel.

RV02 is aimed more at the gaming crowd. It's a fair bit cheaper, a little noisier, FT02 is aimed more at the enthusiast. It's quite expensive (not Lian Li expensive though), and quieter. It has 7 expansion slots, where as the  RV02 has 8, which is made to cater for triple or quad GPU setups. I think it has less HDD bays though.

I'm getting the FT02 myself because it's aesthetically more pleasing to me, although I'm waiting to see how long the enthusiast 69xx series cards will be, since both cases only just manage to fit a 5970 in, before committing. The midrange 68xx series all fit, obviously.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #878 of 3,098

Quote:
The air also rises out through the expansion slots, and there's grills and stuff at the top. A user on OC3D or Hardforum, I forget which, tried changing the 120mm fan, and also adding another fan behind the expansion slots (he had to remove the shroud on top of the case) and it made no difference at all to temps. The cases bring in cool air from the bottom, and all the hot air in the case rises out the top. You don't need much exhaust because the 180mm fans are creating a vertical wind tunnel.

RV02 is aimed more at the gaming crowd. It's a fair bit cheaper, a little noisier, FT02 is aimed more at the enthusiast. It's quite expensive (not Lian Li expensive though), and quieter. It has 7 expansion slots, where as the  RV02 has 8, which is made to cater for triple or quad GPU setups. I think it has less HDD bays though.

I'm getting the FT02 myself because it's aesthetically more pleasing to me, although I'm waiting to see how long the enthusiast 69xx series cards will be, since both cases only just manage to fit a 5970 in, before committing. The midrange 68xx series all fit, obviously.

Apparently the they are based on a positive pressure system.  The influx of air keeps positive pressure in the case, and then the top fan shoves out the hot air.

Quote:
The raven look ridiculous IMO, but the ft02's not too bad.

At this point I like the FT02, however I won't rule out the RV02 for the fact you can mod the case and merely unplug the front LEDs.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #879 of 3,098
Oh yeah, forgot to add, you can search for SilentPCReview's review of the FT02B which cover the noise levels, and check out 3DGameMan/Rodney 'I talk like a robot' Reynolds review on YouTube which also has a fan noise test. I think the noisiest components will probably end up being the HDDs or any coolers on the GPU, especially if it's something insane like a GTX480.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #882 of 3,098

Quote:
Or any card with a red label and the letters a, t, and :wink:

It's AMD now. 
wink_face.gif

I should know, I'm working there again this term.

But to the point, I have a 5870, and it's quieter than the case fans of the P193 and even the CPU cooler.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #883 of 3,098

Quote:
It's AMD now. 
wink_face.gif

I should know, I'm working there again this term.

But to the point, I have a 5870, and it's quieter than the case fans of the P193 and even the CPU cooler.

MY 5770's fan is loud...at 100%. LOLOLOL
Silent when not gaming, audible when gaming. Never *szchhhhhh* though. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #884 of 3,098

Quote:
MY 5770's fan is loud...at 100%. LOLOLOL
Silent when not gaming, audible when gaming. Never *szchhhhhh* though. 

[size=medium]
 I never hear more than a slight whoosh when gaming. Although, I do use closed headphones nowadays when gaming, since the combo of loud roommates + no speakers pretty much force you to use headphones. 
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back