post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Mar 24, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #1,291 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Project completed!!!
biggrin.gif

mg419801nq6.jpg

Love the cool speakers! I think your first pic would've been enhanced if you'd left the door much less open though.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #1,292 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the cool speakers! I think your first pic would've been enhanced if you'd left the door much less open though.
tongue.gif

Whats wrong with my comfy sofa?
icon10.gif
To be honest it starts getting congested in my room. I will probably take the chair out.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #1,293 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats wrong with my comfy sofa?
icon10.gif
To be honest it starts getting congested in my room. I will probably take the chair out.

You know those shots in scary movies where a door is just cracked open and a sliver of light spills from around the frame? That's what I meant.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #1,294 of 6,467
DSC_1151sm.jpg

My college set up.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #1,295 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of chair is that?

I can't recall what kind it is. I got it from Costco, and unfortunately they go through products like there's no tomorrow.

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #1,296 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know those shots in scary movies where a door is just cracked open and a sliver of light spills from around the frame? That's what I meant.
wink.gif

He he! Its my worse nightmare! Oh wait a sec.... there is a stereo system in there.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #1,297 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts exactly; what a strange place to put a sprinkler.

I didn't choose to put the sprinkler there... since the bed is lofted, and the fraternity house I live in is a multi-person residence, fire code mandates that the spray from the sprinklers has to be able to reach both above and below the bed.

So, any time we build or move or dismantle a lofted bed, we have to get the fire department to certify that the room still meets fire code, and hire a contractor to put in new sprinkler pipes and heads if it doesn't. That particular sprinkler head is in a weird place because a contractor put it in after the lofted bed was already built there, in order to cover the area under the bed.

It's a pretty overbearing and unnecessary bureaucracy. The upside to all this, I guess, is that I probably won't die in a fire within the next 3 months, AND I have a convenient place to put my phones.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #1,298 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dimitris, nice speaker setup. Is there a reason they are tilted upwards?

Usually, when a stand is designed to tilt the speakers upwards, it's because it tillts the tweeters farther away from you, and they are trying to delay the tweeters from reaching you sooner than the midrange drivers. We know that higher frequency sine waves travel faster than mids or woofers.
My Vienna Acoustic cabinets are a parallelagram design (rather than rectangular) to achieve this desired result. Works for me.
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #1,299 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually, when a stand is designed to tilt the speakers upwards, it's because it tillts the tweeters farther away from you, and they are trying to delay the tweeters from reaching you sooner than the midrange drivers. We know that higher frequency sine waves travel faster than mids or woofers.
My Vienna Acoustic cabinets are a parallelagram design (rather than rectangular) to achieve this desired result. Works for me.
cool.gif

Aren't high frequencies heavily dependent on direction? As in unlike bass, for instance, it doesn't propagate everywhere, just in the direction the tweeters are pointing at. Hence the suggestion that tweeters should point directly at the ears (or at least be at ear level)
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #1,300 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We know that higher frequency sine waves travel faster than mids or woofers.

I'd like to see the research that found that out. Because unless those high frequencies are travelling through water, they're going to go at the same speed as any other sound. 330m/s.

The rationale that the tiltback delays them makes sense, and this could be ascoustically pleasing, that I wont dispute, but its purely the few inches of difference that will do it. Its not offsetting any difference in energy velocity.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #1,302 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't high frequencies heavily dependent on direction? As in unlike bass, for instance, it doesn't propagate everywhere, just in the direction the tweeters are pointing at. Hence the suggestion that tweeters should point directly at the ears (or at least be at ear level)
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see the research that found that out. Because unless those high frequencies are travelling through water, they're going to go at the same speed as any other sound. 330m/s.

The rationale that the tiltback delays them makes sense, and this could be ascoustically pleasing, that I wont dispute, but its purely the few inches of difference that will do it. Its not offsetting any difference in energy velocity.

It has to do with time alignment and smearing of the sound.
This might be a good explanation, for example:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/rune/time.html

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #1,303 of 6,467
I can't link to the Vienna Acoustics site because it is a flash popup, but quoted from my speakers' technical specs description is:

"The cabinets are raked back for optimum phase coherence. By judiciously raking back the cabinet, perfect time alignment of the tweeter and midrange drivers are achieved."

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #1,304 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always thought the rationale behind the tilted stand was to try to align the voice coils of the different drivers. In other words the voice coil of most woofers is set into the cabinet deeper than the voice coil of the tweeter, and by tilting the speaker back the voice coils line up thus the sound from the tweeter and woofer arrive at your ear at the same time. I could be wrong however, that did happen once before back in 1972.
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #1,305 of 6,467
Yea, to the best of my knowledge (physics major) sound travles the same speed in air, no matter what frequency it is.

Though, that doesn't mean that the sound is Produced at the same time by the two different drivers. It could be some inherent delay in the way the speakers are designed that the tweeter produces the sound slightly before the woofer (which may make sense, since *usually* tweeters are picked out by a capacitor in the crossover, and lower frequencies are picked out by an inductor... and inductors tend to add a small time delay). If that's the case, pushing back the tweeter to account for the time delay would be ideal and put the sound in phase for the listener.

Yes jmmtn4aj, higher frequencies travel in a much tighter path than lower frequencies.

Either way though, if it sounds good, that's all that matters!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back