post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Jun 9, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #421 of 6,467
How much storage you need in hard drives depends on many factors. Mainly what you store and how much you keep. Someone who never deletes any films or tv series or massive ISOs that he downloads will soon find his need for more hard drives on the up and up if he doesnt back it to removeable media.

I personally have masses of free space. I use a raptor for windows, an old 80 gig for all my personal documents and a 250 gig for my music files. Theres another 200 gig in this machine and its been practically empty since i deleted all my video stuff. Eventually Ill need to use it for music storage though.

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #422 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
1 TB isn't that much, I already have my 800 gigabytes in interal drives pretty much full. External drives are good for meets too, and backups. Also, if I need to send a friend of mine some Linux distros that he doesn't want to download, or vice versa, mailing hard drives are an easy way to deal with that, or any big files that we need to get to eachother.

How? I have 500 GB in this laptop (2 external drives), and am nowhere near filling that up, one of the 2 external drives is still empty. I have quite a few tv series, ripped all my cd's, and have a lot of backups. And, this is not ment in a bad way, at your age, you haven't even had all that much time to fill it up either.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #423 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
How much storage you need in hard drives depends on many factors. Mainly what you store and how much you keep. Someone who never deletes any films or tv series or massive ISOs that he downloads will soon find his need for more hard drives on the up and up if he doesnt back it to removeable media.

I personally have masses of free space. I use a raptor for windows, an old 80 gig for all my personal documents and a 250 gig for my music files. Theres another 200 gig in this machine and its been practically empty since i deleted all my video stuff. Eventually Ill need to use it for music storage though.

heh, a raptor is a good idea for Windows, I am still looking for a good deal on one. And I don't keep old stuff, I just have a large archive / collection of music, hence why I am here at head-fi.

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #424 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
How? I have 500 GB in this laptop (2 external drives), and am nowhere near filling that up, one of the 2 external drives is still empty. I have quite a few tv series, ripped all my cd's, and have a lot of backups. And, this is not ment in a bad way, at your age, you haven't even had all that much time to fill it up either.
biggrin.gif

Different things, like dvd-a rips can take up a lot of space. I have wavpack 192/96 khz songs that are 100+ megabytes each.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #425 of 6,467
I have 684,5gigabyte of storage (2*200gb+250gb+80gb)and i only have like 40 free gbs left and i already burnt most of my anime stuff to dvd, half a spindle(does this word exist?)... it quickly adds up if you collect series and/or music

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #426 of 6,467
I've got an 80gig harddrive and I'm no-where near to filling it up... I suppose it all matters in interests.

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #427 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
I've got an 80gig harddrive and I'm no-where near to filling it up... I suppose it all matters in interests.

Just try to have a decent FLAC library with that space.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #428 of 6,467
I did use to use FLAC, I still only filled up about 16 gigs... I admitedly only have a small music collection at the moment.

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #429 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Just try to have a decent FLAC library with that space.
wink.gif

Yeah. Like I said though, stuff like wavpack will just kill you. DVD-A rips are huge, 5.1 tracks are even worse. Anime is nothing really compared to large music collections.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #430 of 6,467
Sorry... I laughed when I saw those sunglasses. They're crazy - in a good way! I think.
biggrin.gif

Now that there's actually something on my desk, I'll post a pic.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #431 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Sorry... I laughed when I saw those sunglasses. They're crazy - in a good way! I think.
biggrin.gif

Nice keyboard / monitor, but your speakers scare the bloody heck out of me.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #432 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
biggrin.gif

That's a very good looking setup; very clean and spacious. Nice job! I would like to post pictures but I unfortunately don't have a digital camera
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #433 of 6,467
Very nice luukas. I don't remember you having Genelecs when we had the meet at your place. I'd very much like to hear those. I've been considering some monitor speakers myself too and Genelec would be on top of my list (naturally, Finnish company which makes worlds best monitors
wink.gif
).

And what is that keyboard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Nice keyboard / monitor, but your speakers scare the bloody heck out of me.

What's so scary about them? They're beautiful.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #434 of 6,467
Quote:

Very nice luukas. I don't remember you having Genelecs when we had the meet at your place. I'd very much like to hear those. I've been considering some monitor speakers myself too and Genelec would be on top of my list (naturally, Finnish company which makes worlds best monitors
wink.gif
).

What's so scary about them? They're beautiful.

Haha, nah, it's just that you see the small thumbnail and you think your about to view rectangular bookshelf speakers, but instead you get a pair of speakers with a slight curve to them.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #435 of 6,467
Quote:

wink.gif
).

And what is that keyboard?

Indeed, I only bought the speakers yesterday. You're welcome to try them out of course, but I'm afraid I'll be spending at least 6 days a week working for the next 2-3 weeks. Kruunuradio (yrityspalvelu) has the whole lineup available for listening, though.

Here's the keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back