POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Sep 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #2,236 of 2,461
Well...I am a dark-wood guy myself, so the choices of wood are easier. Paduak is really actually very lovely and fits my personal preference well, and is cheap. I like Cocobolo a little better, but it is more expensive. But it's very much a matter of personal taste. All the woods look BETTER in person than in the pics.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2,237 of 2,461
Just got my FrankenDarths back from Larry (Zebra X-Deeps now with 600 ohm drivers) and went ahead to having The Vixens done with HF-2 drivers. The wood will be Waterfall Bubinga (sorry, he only has enough of it for the one pair)........the HF-2 are on their way to him now. Hey, ya gotta find out somehow
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #2,238 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my FrankenDarths back from Larry (Zebra X-Deeps now with 600 ohm drivers) and went ahead to having The Vixens done with HF-2 drivers. The wood will be Waterfall Bubinga (sorry, he only has enough of it for the one pair)........the HF-2 are on their way to him now. Hey, ya gotta find out somehow
smily_headphones1.gif

I am interested to find out how the Vixen sounds compared to the original sound of the Grados that are sent in for the mod.

Does the Vixen gain or lose highs, or bass, compred to the stock grado?

Of course, supreme comfort compared to stock Grados, goes without saying (but I said it anyway).

I have been fence-sitting on a Vixen, until I can see a word or two here, from someone that has had it done. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything here like that.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #2,239 of 2,461
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

WELL???? How do you like the FrankenDarth sound????

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2,240 of 2,461
Well, Rob, I'm also in luv with them.........but, it's a slightly different kind of luv than yours. I've only been able to burn them for 16hrs (they took time coming back - the USPS had lost them temporarily) and plugged them into my still not burned-in EAR HP4 in order to put time on both. So, decided to listen a bit towards the end of the evening. I was shocked. Both of them together not only aproximate your words - but I've never heard such clean, clear, tight detail from any Darth as I heard last night (and yeah, they got balance). It simply stood out plainly......to the degree I'm figuring to sell some stuff and get another EAR and turn my Koa X-Deeps into FrankenDarths. But, just to be sure - intending to spend the weekend to be absolutely certain last night wasn't a hallucination
smily_headphones1.gif
, by testing many of my possible combinations.
Also, I had gotten the EAR purely for my Grado's........now I have to say ...the EAR HP4 ain't just for Grado anymore. Just anticipating when all have the needed burn-in.

Edit: Silverrain: It will be a few weeks - but, I'll let you know when I'm able. While Skylab usually is one of the first to try new things, unfortunately, he is Grado-deprived. So, it fell to me to be the first to jump off of the fence. I'm one of those who REALLY likes his Hf-2.....and also being a Beyer fan - had to have the answer to .....what if...............

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #2,241 of 2,461
Quote:

but I've never heard such clean, clear, tight detail from any Darth as I heard last night (and yeah, they got balance). It simply stood out plainly......to the degree I'm figuring to sell some stuff and get another EAR and turn my Koa X-Deeps into FrankenDarths. .

YUP! That is exactly what I experienced - the FrankenDarths are really amazing. We need to convince Larry to start building these. They are MUCH better than the 770Pro80-based Darths. I am thinking of converting another pair of mine as well (probably have Larry do that pair for me, though
wink.gif
)

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2,242 of 2,461
Just guessing (since I can't say what is going on in Larry's head) but, think he might feel that few people going to the expense of having Darths built also have good enough amps to run a 600ohm version. Also, there is the added initial expense of starting with a base 600 ohm dt770.
I can say that he has been open to reasonable (at least in my experience) customer demands. It is very likely if we both spoke to him about it - he would accede to the idea. Particularly since it would only require a one or two lines to his ordering page.......oops, what about the supply line? ......... how many pairs of the dt770/600ohm drivers does BeyerdynamicUSA stock at a time.....and what is the timeline for their re-supply? Things to be taken into account. While we had no problem - what if a third person ordered in approximately the same timespan? Don't know, but can't hurt to suggest he do it. You'd think by the simple action of you sending in a pair for the transplant.....and I send him another pair - a light bulb would go off, naturally.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #2,243 of 2,461
Sure, that all makes good sense. I'm just so giddy about the way they sound
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #2,244 of 2,461
I'll go with the choice of "giddy" - so am I.
Already seeing a different future than I did last week.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2,246 of 2,461
........that's why God built Desert Islands
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2,249 of 2,461
When a poster has too many good-looking women at his beck and call - wallet sympathy tends to be in VERY short supply

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,250 of 2,461
OK, OK -- I hear you.
But, you know, I WILL be spending some of my time here, listening to my music, to rest up for a few weeks, before....more fun.
evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back