Post pics of your builds....
Nov 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9,392 of 9,811

Thanks.

I'm wanting to do something with a little gloss, or a lot, like a piano black finish.

Japanese black with polyutherane finish, gives a really nice deep black finish and polyutherane for the final glossy touch, recommend minimum 4 layers or 7 layers if you are going to buffer it for a polished shine.

Stains and dyes don't really have glossy properties they change the colour and reveal the wood grain, lacquer, varnish and polyutherane is what you need for a finished gloss look.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #9,395 of 9,811
A few years ago i went backpacking OS for 12 months.
Not satisfied with my laptop's internal soundcard (no surprise there), i built this.

It has a bit of a nasty power-on surge current which shuts down some USB ports, but with most its ok.
The TA6120a is supplied +-12V rails by two DC-DC converters on the back of the PCB.
Not ideal, but it sounds surprisingly good, is very compact and doesn't require any extra external power supply.

Designed by me. Double sided PCB etched & assembled at home.

Larger PCB photo: http://goo.gl/aDmTqr

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #9,397 of 9,811
Wow very nicely built, looks very alike to my Ross Martin DAC with the wooden ends (maple?). 

So what was the total cost of this thing? How does it fair with low impedance headphones <100 ohms?

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #9,398 of 9,811
Thanks.  It's just the basic Hammond case.  They claim walnut.

Having the boards mounted on the base plate and the XLR's, power switch, LED, etc... mounted to the top case turned out to be sort of PITA for wiring.  I needed to set everything up with the right slack so when I take the top cover off I can lean it back and gain access to everything.  

I've not tried anything low impedance yet, I've only had the DT-990, 880, and HD-800 connected.  I'd like to try it, but my dynamic collection of cans is pretty much gone now.  I'd really like to try an ortho with it too, none of those left over either.

Hopefully one of the other Monolith builders can let us know!

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #9,399 of 9,811
Clamshell type chassis are a brilliant idea until you actually try to build one...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back