Post pics of your builds....
Feb 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #9,016 of 9,811
Well, I put a little something together for portable listening. I compressed down the stripboard cmoy design so that it'd (juuuuuust) fit into a skinny little eclipse can. I've tried mounting into a full sized can before, but that was too easy. This one will never fit a 9v and a cmoy, at least as far as my skills at present allow, but I've got a nice insulated battery clip and I'm going to strap the battery to the flat side of the can, hopefully resulting in a pocketable device to go with my ipod touch. I'm on the lookout for a line out device for it too, but I'm not sure how well my high-off-low style switch will go with no volume control on the device too.

I forgot to take any pictures during assembly, but I'm going to probably have it apart again before it's permanently put together so I'll post more later.

has anyone successfully used potting epoxy to seal up small amps like this? Would the compound maybe run into swtiches and so on and stop them working? It seems like it'd be a good method of keeping stress on internal components and wires down in such a small device which will be getting bumped around a fair bit. 

peace

chris

edit: awesome, I can embed images finally!

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #9,017 of 9,811
Quote:

LOL This will look more like a home-blew bomb when you strap the battery on, hope you don't get into trouble with a cop walking with that outside
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #9,019 of 9,811
Definitely don't try to take it through security. I spent 30 minutes stuck talking to various TSA agents once because they couldn't understand the concept of a headphone amplifier, much less a home made one.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #9,020 of 9,811
Quote:
Definitely don't try to take it through security. I spent 30 minutes stuck talking to various TSA agents once because they couldn't understand the concept of a headphone amplifier, much less a home made one.

Wow, seriously? I always knew it could happen, and if I was the TSA I would be like "What IS THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!", but I never actually heard it happen to someone.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #9,021 of 9,811
Yep this was at BWI airport in Baltimore a couple years ago.  Good thing I look respectable and am calm under pressure (and always show up to airports early).

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #9,022 of 9,811
Quote:
Yep this was at BWI airport in Baltimore a couple years ago.  Good thing I look respectable and am calm under pressure (and always show up to airports early).

BWI!  That's about 10 minutes from where I work, very familiar with the unpleasantness that is that pit...  

About 10 years ago when I flew all the time for work, I would use these trips as an excuse to hit up small used music instrument shops and buy weird/rare effects pedals, which I would then have to shove into a tool bag that was already full of electrical tools and scrap bits of wire.  When I got to the airport I would toss my bag on the conveyor along with everything else, wander through the metal detector, then get pulled aside to explain "what the hell is in this bag???"  Mind you I probably looked like a crazed terrorist to them, huge beard, dreaded hair, punk band shirts with anti-american/government/everything slogans on them.  The method I found to work best for getting right through the line was to get overly nerdy about the pedals themselves, go into way too much detail about what this delay pedal did, or how weird this distortion pedal was.  I'd just bore them to tears, SUCCESS!

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #9,025 of 9,811
Quote:
And here's my LNMP!

Many, many thanks to Tangent for everything!

Great job!

One thing I found out about mine - you may want to label those BNC's or you will be forever forgetting which is IN and which is OUT.  I would also recommend inspecting the battery pack periodically. Mine contacted the case back plate, melted from the resulting short and burned up the TLE when I stored it away in a vertical position.
frown.gif
  Dsavitsk repaired it for me.
cool.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #9,028 of 9,811
Quote:
You must learn the ways of Google searches.

Top result for "LNMP amp":
"Low Noise Measurement Preamplifier" from Tangentsoft. :D

I didn't even know it was an amp because of the BNC connector.......
so It's a mono amp? what for?

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #9,029 of 9,811
Quote:
I didn't even know it was an amp because of the BNC connector.......
so It's a mono amp? what for?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=low+noise+measurement+preamp+tangent&l=1

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #9,030 of 9,811
Quote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=low+noise+measurement+preamp+tangent&l=1

*Facepalm*

Read the bloody post, I HAVE GOOGLED IT!!!

Googleing "LNMP" alone returns nothing reverent, I have no idea it was an amp back then because of the BNC connectors.

And that doesn't even answer my question of "what you'd use a monophonic audio amplifier for?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back