Post pics of your builds....
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #8,926 of 9,811
Quote:
I'll be working on a 4-channel beta 22 in the near future as well, the stuff should arrive in about a week or so....

A decent summary of my Metcal:  http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Other/Metcal/SP200/tweaks/30671.html

I got it used for $75 from a friend when he wanted a new one, retailed around $300.  For pro solder guys, I don't know if the Metcal is necessary.  While I believe my board stuffing skills have gotten quite good, the Metcal makes things even easier, especially with heat sensitive or confined conditions.

And Ghost in the Shell (especially the Stand Alone Complex) is phenomenal.  I feel that anyone truly interested in what our future might realistically look like, including the moral and philosophical struggles we might deal with should give it a shot, even if you don't care for Anime.  Truly special, and of course, the Tachikoma rule.

And good luck with the B22!  I feel like stuffing the boards is easier than layout and casing if you want it to look good.  I can't afford custom face plates, so am trying to figure out how to do precise cuts using my sad tool set.  I think drills and files are in my future.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8,927 of 9,811
Quote:

A decent summary of my Metcal:  http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Other/Metcal/SP200/tweaks/30671.html

I got it used for $75 from a friend when he wanted a new one, retailed around $300.  For pro solder guys, I don't know if the Metcal is necessary.  While I believe my board stuffing skills have gotten quite good, the Metcal makes things even easier, especially with heat sensitive or confined conditions.

And Ghost in the Shell (especially the Stand Alone Complex) is phenomenal.  I feel that anyone truly interested in what our future might realistically look like, including the moral and philosophical struggles we might deal with should give it a shot, even if you don't care for Anime.  Truly special, and of course, the Tachikoma rule.

And good luck with the B22!  I feel like stuffing the boards is easier than layout and casing if you want it to look good.  I can't afford custom face plates, so am trying to figure out how to do precise cuts using my sad tool set.  I think drills and files are in my future.

Damn! That's cool!

I'm actually a HUGE anime fan... just haven't gotten around watching Ghost in the Shell because of the old art style....
Someday.. maybe Ill give it a look.

Don't you have access to a laser cutter?
You can engrave panels with it right?
(I'm doing that with my current project too.)

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #8,928 of 9,811
O2/ODAC combined in the same enclosure.  First ever DIY build which made for a good learning experience.

Front:

Rear:  (Note the RCA outputs above the ODAC USB input.  I opted for an external connection in the event I decide to try a different amp)

Perspective w/the top off:

And a shot of the inside.  Very messy wiring job, but it gets the job done. The ODAC is positioned below the O2 board out of sight.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #8,929 of 9,811
Quote:
O2/ODAC combined in the same enclosure.  First ever DIY build which made for a good learning experience.

Front:

Rear:  (Note the RCA outputs above the ODAC USB input.  I opted for an external connection in the event I decide to try a different amp)

Perspective w/the top off:

And a shot of the inside.  Very messy wiring job, but it gets the job done. The ODAC is positioned below the O2 board out of sight.

Really nice job!  I'd love to do something similar, but I have limited access to tools to do any decent wood or metal work.  Kind of limited to off the shell boxes right now.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #8,931 of 9,811
900x900px-LL-ff74877d_P1010729.jpeg

hear is a better pic of the daughter boards, bottom is obviously the op-amp board, top is the discrete diamond buffer, all except the out-put transistors and output resistors. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #8,932 of 9,811
Quote:
If I may be so bold as to ask the gentleman... What is your age? Also, just how ridiculous of a deal we talking? 20-30, no, 50% off? As well, what is the first thing u ever built? What is your favorite thing ever built? Thanks for the link BTW. Nice avatar pic.

Umm.....
I'm 15
My first thing... I built it when I was 12 but it was a mini drink cooler/heater with lights that come on when you open the door, USB charger and 2 power socket on the back blah blah blah. How is it audio related? It has a remodeled and amped logitech speaker system in it. all battery powered
But seriously, my first serious build was a Cmoy I built when I was 13. Since then, I've made about 5 of them.
I saved lots when I made a jack to jack. Ampenol gold plated connectors, silver solder and eurocable or canare cable (can't remember, think it was canare). Still have it and I've been using it every day for the past 2 years
Favorite thing: I don't actually know. I'm gathering parts for a hybrid hp amp which might become my favorite
Don't know if what you meant is what I said but anyway
BTW, my iron is a old Dick Smith station. Basic with temp readout, thermostat and temp control. Has worked a treat for me but you can't buy tips anymore so I'm stuck with the one I have

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #8,936 of 9,811
Quote:
What are your plans with casework for the B22?

Black 19" aluminum case
biggrin.gif

but before that, I need to make an auxiliary power supply, a preamp, and a stepped attenuator.

Schematics in case anyone is interested in what I'm building:

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #8,938 of 9,811
Quote:
What's the purpose of putting a preamp in front of the B22?

Several functions:
  • Balanced line receiver
  • Unbalance to balanced converter
  • -6dB attenuation so that the unit can have a overall gain of 0dB (required if you want to drive IEMs)
  • Buffers input signal

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #8,939 of 9,811
1,2 can be done with a simple 4pdt switch.
I fail to see the true advantage of using a balanced B22 to drive IEMs.
One of the best features of the B22 is its discrete design, putting an opamp stage before it would defeat the advantage.

Seems to me that preamp thing is just a 'cool factor'. I bet you would do a lot better with just the B22 alone.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #8,940 of 9,811
Quote:
1,2 can be done with a simple 4pdt switch.
I fail to see the true advantage of using a balanced B22 to drive IEMs.
One of the best features of the B22 is its discrete design, putting an opamp stage before it would defeat the advantage.

Seems to me that preamp thing is just a 'cool factor'. I bet you would do a lot better with just the B22 alone.

wait... common mode signal rejection AND convert a unbalance to balance signal with.... a SWITCH?
You must have misread something there....

I'd love to see something like that done with a switch,
It would most definitely shock the world of electronics if not get you a Nobel prize
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back