Post pics of your builds....
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #8,791 of 9,811
@bwshockley    beautiful work! love the clean look, really well done. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,793 of 9,811
Well, I just completed my first amp build.  It is a Millet Hybrid MOSFET-MAX V1.2.

The wood shell is indeed very striking. Very nicely done.

That said, I am surprised you are not having issues with heat build up inside the enclosure. There appears to be little to no ventilation for the inside parts, particularly the MOSFETs. What did you end up biasing them at?

You might consider getting a thermal probe and measuring the inside temp to see what kind of heat build up you are reaching. I fear your amp may not last long buttoned up quite that tight.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #8,795 of 9,811
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I just completed my first amp build.  It is a Millet Hybrid MOSFET-MAX V1.2.

The wood shell is indeed very striking. Very nicely done.

That said, I am surprised you are not having issues with heat build up inside the enclosure. There appears to be little to no ventilation for the inside parts, particularly the MOSFETs. What did you end up biasing them at?

You might consider getting a thermal probe and measuring the inside temp to see what kind of heat build up you are reaching. I fear your amp may not last long buttoned up quite that tight.

I biased the MOSFETS around 240mV, power supply is set at 27VDC.  I was also concerned with heat buildup, but I think my very thick AL plate has enough thermal mass to keep things cool for the durations I am running the amp, and maybe the ability to dissappate the heat as well.  I will definitely keep my eye on it though.  I can always add some vents in the rear if need be.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #8,798 of 9,811
The first word that came to mind is, epic.

I like how you mounted the transformers at the back, it's one way to lower the profile of the whole thing. How's the back panel supporting the weight of these?

The whole thing has an industrial look to it. I sure would not mind moving this thing around! It's not ugly, it's rugged. I think it's a great casework.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #8,799 of 9,811
i really like the way you set your build up. it looks quite nice. balanced bijou must sound amazing 
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #8,800 of 9,811
Thanks for the kind words guys :)

@KimLaroux,  I had to mount L-brackets to the back panel, and back feet are mounted to those brackets, so that trafos are not over-balancing the whole thing. 

@kchapdaily, yes, it does sound amazing. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back