Post pics of your builds....
Sep 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #8,776 of 9,811
I'm personally switching to using vintage Marantz switches on my builds, partly because the power switch can look identical to audio switches, and also because I find the understated but solid aluminum push buttons quite nice

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #8,777 of 9,811
Finally after many many builds of the the crystal Cmoy, here is my most satisfied version:

Simple component setup: Vishay resistors, Nichicon FG caps,  OPA2134..
But it sounds excellent..
redface.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8,783 of 9,811
your cmoy really is quite beautiful. well done.

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #8,784 of 9,811
Almost embarrassing to follow that gorgeous Cmoy, especially since mine is a Cmoy as well, but oh well.

The Batman Cmoy:

Simple build based off of Tangent's tutorial.  OPA2227, added a closed circuit DC jack so I could use with 9v or wallwart.  Not very tidy, but I am still a beginner and it worked on the first try.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #8,785 of 9,811
More random CMOY/DIY amp goodness... Pardon the appearances.. theyre ugly and need to be sourced outside our country =(

both amps have a few things in common, both sound big and musical-- making closed headphones sound "open"

sorry for the long post!

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #8,787 of 9,811
Quote:
Almost embarrassing to follow that gorgeous Cmoy, especially since mine is a Cmoy as well, but oh well.

The Batman Cmoy:

Simple build based off of Tangent's tutorial.  OPA2227, added a closed circuit DC jack so I could use with 9v or wallwart.  Not very tidy, but I am still a beginner and it worked on the first try.

Looks really good for the first try! :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #8,789 of 9,811
I don't have a scale to weigh it, and I am bad at guessing, but it shouldn't be much heavier than a normal mint tin Cmoy.  Sorry I can't help more.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #8,790 of 9,811
Well, I just completed my first amp build.  It is a Millet Hybrid MOSFET-MAX V1.2.  The amp itself sounds wonderful and really impressive.  Such a difference in sound a little tube can make.

The case is custom.  I used .375" thick 6061 AL for the base.  I had to put in 8 drilled and tapped holes, four to hold the PCB and four for the amp's feet.  I found the feet on ebay, probably the most expensive part.  The wood is four solid blocks of Alder, glued together, then hollowed out to create the shell.  To keep the wood shell on the AL base I drilled four holes in each corner of each piece and glued in a couple neodymium magnets on each side.  Worked much better than expected.  I would carry the amp by the shell, but keeps it firmly in place while in use and easy enough to just pop off the shell for adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back