Post pics of your builds....
Apr 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #8,537 of 9,811
wdahm519 - Nice looking build. And yes the EHHA is something special.
I don't see it mentioned but did you incorp muting delay/offset protection? Unless you never forget to unplug cans @ power on/off think the design really needs it.
BTW guess you did individual transformers for each channel, because I was able to get by w/5-wire umbilical (+/G/- DC amp, +/- DC heater).

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8,538 of 9,811

Quote:
wdahm519 - Nice looking build. And yes the EHHA is something special.
I don't see it mentioned but did you incorp muting delay/offset protection? Unless you never forget to unplug cans @ power on/off think the design really needs it.
BTW guess you did individual transformers for each channel, because I was able to get by w/5-wire umbilical (+/G/- DC amp, +/- DC heater).

No I didn't incorporate and kind of muting delay, I'm pretty religious about letting my amp warm up for the proper amount of time before plugging cans in, and I always unplug them with the music off and volume turned all the way down every time.  It's just habit now.  

I measured the DC offset at the output and it took a short amount of time to reach safe levels and about 2:30 min:sec to fall to very safe levels where it would be come absolutely stable, however I wait 4 minutes before plugging in headphones.  Its better than my Bijou.  That amp makes me wait a full 12 minutes!

I have the same set up of transformers you do (30-0-30 AC, 9-9 AC) but I ran other wires from the transformer through the umbilical in case I want to add something later to give it power in different configs.  

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #8,542 of 9,811
It's an RK50, and the heatsinks are fully enclosed - will be a fun time with the CNC machine venting the top and bottom :D 

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #8,543 of 9,811
I look forward to seeing the end result. That should be one sweet build once it is up and running!

I am particularly interested in how the internal syncs work out. It appears to make a nice clean package vice external syncs.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #8,546 of 9,811
3rd gen ICE 125ASX2 monoblocks (250W@8Ohms, 450W@4Ohms), with AMB A20s as input buffers and Cinemag transformers for SE-BAL conversion. All cables are shielded.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #8,548 of 9,811
cute!

I need to build a supply for an EVO myself...
good that I have some of the Salas boards around, too.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #8,549 of 9,811
nice! how different does your evo sound after having the new friend?
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #8,550 of 9,811
Thanks guys!

Quote:
cute!

I need to build a supply for an EVO myself...
good that I have some of the Salas boards around, too.
wink.gif

It's worth it. The power supply is almost three times the size and weight of the EVO itself but who cares... :wink:
Was actually tempted to go with batteries but charging management issues made me go for a mains-powered unit.

Quote:
nice! how different does your evo sound after having the new friend?
biggrin.gif

Well, the distributor here only ships a switching wall-wart along with the EVO. Compared to that the difference is significant (granted we're talking about a device that has a very specific/limited task in the sound chain).
Less "edgy" highs, a recording's ambience is more evident and there is also a difference in soundstage (which is also surprisingly evident with headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back