Post pics of your builds....
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #8,446 of 9,811

Quote:
As far as I know balanced is only useful when you need very long wires, which is never the case in rigs for personal use.
Balanced mainly finds its use in professional applications. In personal applications there really isn't any point in getting balanced except for the doubling of power output of the amplifier.

This
Seriously, I find it unnecessary building a balanced system if you are satisfied with your current se fones, unless your future rig requires so.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #8,447 of 9,811
Fancied a quick and dirty cheap pair of small speakers for my computer system, these were the result.

Enclosures are made from Sainsbury's acacia placemats with stripwood inside for added strength and finished with a couple of applications of teak oil.

I've used Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo drivers, Solen binding posts and Twaron Angel Hair wadding.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8,448 of 9,811

Quote:
As far as I know balanced is only useful when you need very long wires, which is never the case in rigs for personal use.
Balanced mainly finds its use in professional applications. In personal applications there really isn't any point in getting balanced except for the doubling of power output of the amplifier.

Two different applications being mixed together here.  In pro usage, balanced is used to provide the ability to have longer cable runs with less noise, in a hifi system using balanced components provides better channel separation.  You could get similar results by having to discrete single ended channels.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #8,449 of 9,811
Hi all, two things for showing:

1... New case for my O2.

2... SE-SE version of The Wire

And both together...

The case used for the Wire is a little on the large size but it was bought well before I got my hands on the miniscule pcb's designed by opc.

Hope you like. Regards.

Paul

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #8,450 of 9,811
Two different applications being mixed together here.  In pro usage, balanced is used to provide the ability to have longer cable runs with less noise, in a hifi system using balanced components provides better channel separation.  You could get similar results by having to discrete single ended channels.

I don't think bad channel separation is an issue in the Beta22. Cross talk should be below an audible level on both 2 and 3 channel builds.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #8,451 of 9,811
Pioneer SE500 -- SFI 120Ω mod
 ​
Thought that the T50RP drivers would be cool to transplant in the SE500.. Then again, I think they deserve a better home. (And they probably not fit, due to the unusual enclosure)

Comparison between the Fostex T50RP and the Pioneer SE500.

PIEZO DRIVER!!! Never seen anything like it.

Paxmate!!!

insides fitted with Paxmate!                           FOAM!!                                              

washin all the inkage out

"ink" foam, cut in half

The drivers are pressure-fitted, pressing against the Paxmate and the rear foam square.

DONE!!
They sound pretty good! Only took a couple of hours.
Changing out the earpads would improve the sound, but I'm gonna live with them for now.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #8,453 of 9,811

Quote:
Hi all, two things for showing:

1... New case for my O2.

2... SE-SE version of The Wire

And both together...

The case used for the Wire is a little on the large size but it was bought well before I got my hands on the miniscule pcb's designed by opc.

Hope you like. Regards.

Paul

That O2 case is nice, what is the case from?

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #8,454 of 9,811

Quote:
That O2 case is nice, what is the case from?

Thanks, it's a custum design penned and built by myself... it's made from layered Styrene sheeting so is fully plastic. The inner case slides out for easy access of the O2's pcb should it be requied.

Paul

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #8,455 of 9,811

Quote:

i guess everyone but jcx missed my point, but hes right i wont continue it here.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8,457 of 9,811

Quote:
Fancied a quick and dirty cheap pair of small speakers for my computer system, these were the result.

Enclosures are made from Sainsbury's acacia placemats with stripwood inside for added strength and finished with a couple of applications of teak oil.

I've used Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo drivers, Solen binding posts and Twaron Angel Hair wadding.

Beautiful.  How do they sound, and what are you driving them with?  How did you calculate the optimal enclosure and port for the drivers?

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #8,458 of 9,811

Quote:
Beautiful.  How do they sound, and what are you driving them with?  How did you calculate the optimal enclosure and port for the drivers?

Cheers!

At the moment I'm driving them with an Icon Audio HP8 headphone amp that puts out a face melting 2 wpc.

They sound better than I thought they would, obviously they have their limitations (rolled off extremes) but the midrange is nice and clear, the sound is generally on the warm/relaxed side and they actually do bass quite well.

I didn't do any calculations, just based the enclosure on a Fostex design used for similar sized drivers.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #8,460 of 9,811

Quote:
reading this threads intimidating, i didnt know you'd need a whole box for a power supply :| :| i thort you just had to get a brick with leads either side!

Isn't the "brick" a "whole box?"  Seriously, it's not meant to be intimidating.  It's just that off-the-shelf "bricks" are not the best quality power supplies when it comes to high-fidelity audio.  More importantly, you can hear the difference.  Most of the bricks that we build around here are not very expensive and depending on how you use them, they can be used for many different headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back